Model Cars Magazine Forum

'74 Barracuda Pro Street-Oldest "Untouched" Build in my Collection

mustang1989

I have one car that I pretty much refuse to touch (outside of the repairs that I've done to it and to get rid of that stupid wing that it had) which is my MPC 1974 Pro Street Barracuda that I built when I was around 16 years old. I've kept it this way to remind myself, my son and others that we all start somewhere. One day I'd really like to acquire another one of these kits and have another "go" at it just for fun's sake.

The kit:

This one resides in my display case after spending 25+ years in mine and my brothers old room at my parents house. Being in its own display case for all those years helped to keep it intact despite all the heat back in that room from being shut off from the rest of the house.

Here's after a couple of repairs and given the proper glamour shot treatment:

Thanks Tom.

For a long time after the build the front tires stuck way too far outside of the fenders but I corrected that not too long ago because it was really bugging me so that's one thing I had to fix.

Comparison Shots Before:

and after :

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

What he said! Very cool! 

Thanks Rich! I do appreciate your dropping in bud.

3 hours ago, dimaxion said:

I will join he parade or me too's .  I regret I have none of my youthful builds .. Thanx 

'Preciate the comments John. I had more at one time but that was about 5 moves ago. Like my grandpa used to say......5 moves is equal to a burn out.

Nice to see you've saved this from your childhood. Wish I still had mine - a brush-painted lime green 69 Firebird with wood putty wheel arch flares to house the wheels and tyres taken from the Olsonite Indy kit.

I do now have both the above kits in my stash for a possible rebuild, and I also have your Cuda kit, so nice to see how it built up.

Great stuff!

11 hours ago, zakdoggi said:

Nice to see you've saved this from your childhood. Wish I still had mine - a brush-painted lime green 69 Firebird with wood putty wheel arch flares to house the wheels and tyres taken from the Olsonite Indy kit.

I do now have both the above kits in my stash for a possible rebuild, and I also have your Cuda kit, so nice to see how it built up.

Great stuff!

Thanks Geoff! I've done my fair share of brush painting but it was mostly on military builds early on. lol

9 hours ago, espo said:

Good that you have been able to keep your first build after all these years. Better yet it sounds like you still enjoy modeling and your sons are also interested. 

Thanks Dave! My son is hit and miss with it. I need to get together with him on his Superbird kit as he really wants to build that!!

41 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Snapper was made from this kit. I’ve fused the two bodies together. 

Yeah, same basic body. 

I recently picked up one of these (the Pro Street kit) for (IIRC) $15 at the local toy show and am looking forward to building it as the Motown Missile, as soon as I can figger out how the fix the headlights. 

CAUGHT SOMEWHERE IN TIME:

> Classic MPC Mopar, frozen in time

> Built this in '86 while headbangin' to Iron Maiden's new album

> One of my fave builds, then Moms trashed it

> Would do almost anything to build this one again

> Time. Is always on OUR side.

48 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Yeah, same basic body. 

I recently picked up one of these (the Pro Street kit) for (IIRC) $15 at the local toy show and am looking forward to building it as the Motown Missile, as soon as I can figger out how the fix the headlights. 

Yep, that's what I did. What's wrong with the headlights?

Motown Missile Cuda Sept 08.jpg

MVC-005FMVC-007F

I wasn't at my computer when I posted last night... here's the one I have.  Front is the snapper, back of roof came from the blue version of the glue kit.  Those last two gasps for the glue kit had a competition type interior, where most folks want the stock interior.  The snapper has that.

10 hours ago, magicmustang said:

Yep, that's what I did. What's wrong with the headlights?

They just ain't right. Nice Missile model, BTW. Sweet!

10 hours ago, iBorg said:

My solution for the headlights would be to adapt either the buckets from AMT's Duster or Revell's Cuda.

I was planning on making my own buckets, but I'll look at both those possible options. Thanks! 

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

They just ain't right. Nice Missile model, BTW. Sweet!

I was planning on making my own buckets, but I'll look at both those possible options. Thanks! 

It's been so long since I built mine, I had forgotten about the missing headlight inner lip.

front.jpg

Edited by magicmustang

52 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

I'm learning a lot through the comments here. I do agree about the headlights though. I wonder if the headlight buckets from Revell's AAR Cuda kit would work if graphed in?

'70 and '72-'74 buckets aren't the same, though the '70s would be a huge improvement over what's in the '74 kit boxes. :unsure:

• 4 months later...