Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 312P coupe

Rich Chernosky

8 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Michael now you have my curiosity going.  What paint brand and reference number do you like for Ferrari red.  I also realize the colors probably changed over the years but I am interested in the '50s through the early '70s.  My color sense is not very good and I have several Ferraris waiting in the stash.

I didn't interpret your comment as criticism. I have actually answered that question many times. We are all artists here in some form or another. Our choice of techniques and preferences are what makes us unique. So all is good.

Gary.....here is a site that may answer your questions.....https://gravity-colors.com/model-car-paints/colors-by-manufacturer/ferrari/page/2/   Just click on any of the colors and it will tell you what era it was used in.  This is the site for Europe. There are two seperate companies...one here and one in Spain. I have some of thier colors and have used them and they take some getting used to.  Which is why I went with what I know. I will use them in the future  when I am experimenting. 

On 7/6/2019 at 6:20 AM, Gramps46 said:

Michael now you have my curiosity going.  What paint brand and reference number do you like for Ferrari red.  I also realize the colors probably changed over the years but I am interested in the '50s through the early '70s.  My color sense is not very good and I have several Ferraris waiting in the stash.

Actually the Tamiya good ole "Italian red" is exact match for the Rosso Corsa Ferrari used. They can't put it on the cans for licensing reasons, but quite few of their colors are exact match for real life liveries. The original Rosso Corsa on the Ferrari racers and F1 cars was showing too dark on TV compared to real life. So in '97 Ferrari switched to a much brighter red, which on TV actually looked like the regular Rosso Corsa did in real life. That bright red is called Rosso Scuderia and the Tamita TS49 is exact match for it. It was developed for.......you guessed it - their 1:20 1997 Ferrari F1 model. In 2007, Ferrari painted their cars in custom red metallic. Tamiya has a paint that is exact match to that color too, but I don't know the number on top of my head. 

If I was you, I would just go to any car paint shop and ask them to mix you PPG Rosso Corsa 322. That would be the original Ferrari factory color. Probably $25 will buy you a lifetime supply of Ferrari Red. 

All the best

Edited by mrm