Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors and Model Master

My suggestion is to get a scrap piece of plastic and see.  I used the color and clear coat from the same company a few years ago and the layer of color turned to alligator skin.  So using the same company for both is no guarantee that the result will be what you want.

I’m thinking I’ll just start building my models and not painting them at all. I’ve had so many problems trying to find compatible primer, paint and clear coat that it’s just not worth it any more. It’s taken the joy of building a kit away not knowing what’s going to happen. I have way over 200 kits and I’m going to start listing them on EBay.  I guess this is to insure the companies who control the model building business the sale of more kits. 

Sorry to read about your problems and frustration. Have you tried Tamiya paints? More expensive but I've never been a great painter and these paints make me seem like a better painter because it all works out so well. Bottle paints and especially the spray. 

There is a compatibility to paints but it goes just one way 

I dont remember it exactly but its enamel over lacquer but not the other way around.

I typically just stick with a specific type of paint and I'm ok. However I agree with the tamiya recommendations.  I usually use ts line of paint from them with tamiya fine surface primer 

I’ll look into Tamiya paints then. I went and bought the Model Masters clear coats today and was surprised that the Enamel Top Coat is a Rust-oleum  product.

I’m wanting to recreate my 1964 Ford Galaxy I drove as a kid. It’s Phoenician Yellow and only yesterday realized it was a 2 part system.

Edited by ewetwo

Shouldn't be a surprise. Rustoleum is the parent company of Testors. All recent Testors paint products are labeled as "Rustoleum".

There is another line of paints you might be interested in.

image.png.f981d64e5ddbf695aa00dded41794691.png

MRP

One can never have too many paint brand choices.

16 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I’m thinking I’ll just start building my models and not painting them at all. I’ve had so many problems trying to find compatible primer, paint and clear coat that it’s just not worth it any more. It’s taken the joy of building a kit away not knowing what’s going to happen. I have way over 200 kits and I’m going to start listing them on EBay.  I guess this is to insure the companies who control the model building business the sale of more kits. 

For most of us, mastering a good or great paint job is one of the hardest parts of this hobby. My only advice is to practice, practice, practice! Find a particular brand and master it. I use a lot of Tamiya spray cans as I get good results but have also had my problems when I rush it. Many times I get a great shine from Tamiya paints without clear coating and forgo doing so at the risk of ruining them. If you build for yourself like I do, then trying to get an award winning shine isn't as important as completing the build.

Thanks guys. My sugar levels were off when I posted this. I'll keep trying and keep what mikemodeler said. I am building just for myself. I can't let the beautiful builds so many skilled model builder have in this forum. I just don't have that ability and knowledge let alone a well stocked local hobby shop near buy. And at 64. Don't have all that much time to be so fussy LOL!