Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Suburban 4x4

Thinking about getting another 66 Suburban to do as a 4x4. Wondering where to find suspension parts to do this. Does anyone do a resin conversion for this kit, or is there a kit that would work. I don't want a drastic lift like the MPC Deserter pickup, but more of a stock 4x4 height.

14 minutes ago, RichCostello said:

Thinking about getting another 66 Suburban to do as a 4x4. Wondering where to find suspension parts to do this. Does anyone do a resin conversion for this kit, or is there a kit that would work. I don't want a drastic lift like the MPC Deserter pickup, but more of a stock 4x4 height.

In the truck section there is a build going on right now of a 4x4 "burban and I am sure if you contacted the member, he would share with you how he did his. I am not aware of any resin conversions, but one of the Olson Bros. built one as well and it may be something they are looking to do.

Just as a FYI, the MPC Deserter pickup can be built at stock height. The 'lift" is a result of extended shackles to raise truck, so it is up to you if you want it stock or lifted. It may be suitable as a drivetrain donor to convert the Burban, haven't looked at it yet.

The Revell 71 Bronco kit has the correct Dana 44 front axle, it just needs to be flipped over so the differential is on the passenger side. The beefier Dana 60 is in several Hemi equipped Mopar kits, the Revell Hemi Dart and 68 Charger kits and the AMT 68-70 Roadrunner/GTX/Superbee kits to name a few. Use the center section and remake the axle shafts from Evergreen rod. I just think the blobular Deserter parts will look out of place on a more modern kit.

20 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

The Revell 71 Bronco kit has the correct Dana 44 front axle, it just needs to be flipped over so the differential is on the passenger side. The beefier Dana 60 is in several Hemi equipped Mopar kits, the Revell Hemi Dart and 68 Charger kits and the AMT 68-70 Roadrunner/GTX/Superbee kits to name a few. Use the center section and remake the axle shafts from Evergreen rod. I just think the blobular Deserter parts will look out of place on a more modern kit.

That is true, if one is striving for period correct drivetrain. That Dana 60 is available in resin if one doesn't want to buy a whole kit just for a rear end. I think all of the parts might be available at B-N-L resin.

• 3 weeks later...

The Deserter would not be correct for a stock '60-'66 Chevrolet 4x4 suspension. GM made major changes to their 4x4s in '67, one of which was the use of a reverse arch tapered leaf spring in the front. The '60-'66 used a traditional arched spring. A much closer source for the correct springs would be the AMT '55 or '57 Cameo/Stepside kits, though you would need to add 3 leaves to the front to be 100% correct. The transfer case from the Deserter would also not be correct, as the NP 203 in that kit did not come out until '73. The closest in scale transfer case I have found to the Timken 221 would be the transfer case from the old AMT Thunderbolt One/Thunderbolt Two kits. Even then, it would need some alterations to accurate. I won't speak for the accuracy of the axle from the Bronco kit, as I have not seen one in person, but I can say that a Dana 60 would not be correct. GM did not use the Dana 60 as a front drive axle until '77, and then only in the K30 1 ton trucks.