Model Cars Magazine Forum

Silver Sapphire Little Deuce Coupe

Phildaupho

This is an update to a project in a thread I started back in January but because I could not edit the title I figured I would start a new thread. Here is a link to the previous thread.

I am trying to finish this build for Deuce Days in Scale July 21. Because time is of the essence, I will be using some time saving methods like Tamiya fast drying paint directly from the spray cans.

2v2EVroPCximYT.jpg

The engine, chassis and running gear went together pretty smoothly but I discovered the interior would not go into the body as a complete unit. The dash and steering wheel will go in first followed by the door panels and finally the floor and seats.0

2v2EVroY8ximYT.jpg2v2EVroshximYT.jpg

I learnt that the foot boxes were installed after the original owner sold the car but they sure must make the interior more comfortable.

2v2EVrotjximYT.jpg

The piping in the interior is the best I could come up with and certainly looks very amateurish in this photo but without opening doors it looks OK as it would be viewed on a display table.

With the interior and rolling chassis completed I can move onto the body. I have fabricated the side fins, which hopefully will work OK and I have to wait until they are in place to bend the aluminum tube for the headers.  I am a little concerned about the final paint job because of the distinctive scallops. My plan is to first paint the body white and then mask the scallops with Bare-Metal-Foil. I will have my fingers crossed that I will get acceptable results.

I must have missed this before, Phil..  What a courageous effort!  I looked at building this car many years ago but when the Danbury mint version came out, I took the easy route and bought one - it is trlyan outstanding example of the diecast industry art and easily my most prized diecast in the collection.

I think you have done a credible effort with the interior , especially the buttons.  I have a friend that does clinically accurate piping with jeweller's wire but I haven't tackled it myself yet.  As you say, sitting on the table it should look very nice.

It s also neat to see this car with the axle behind the spring as in all post 35 Fords.  It is a feature you rarely see in a model.

Good luck with your deadline!

Cheers

Alan

On 2019-07-02 at 9:16 PM, alan barton said:

I must have missed this before, Phil..  What a courageous effort!  I looked at building this car many years ago but when the Danbury mint version came out, I took the easy route and bought one - it is trlyan outstanding example of the diecast industry art and easily my most prized diecast in the collection.

I think you have done a credible effort with the interior , especially the buttons.  I have a friend that does clinically accurate piping with jeweller's wire but I haven't tackled it myself yet.  As you say, sitting on the table it should look very nice.

It s also neat to see this car with the axle behind the spring as in all post 35 Fords.  It is a feature you rarely see in a model.

Good luck with your deadline!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan. I have always was always impressed with Danbury's 1/24 diecasts. They had some great model masters and assemblers working for them. It appears they only have five 1/18 car models currently available.

33 minutes ago, dragmodels44 said:

Great job. I started looking for the Danbury mint after I read your post...good luck finding that one now! I’m sure one will pop up eventually. Good luck on your build, looking forward to seeing it

Thanks Steve. I am hoping to have finished by the end of the week

I am getting ready for the final paint job which will be Tamiya TS-19 Metallic Blue. I have primered the body parts with Tamiya Fine White Primer. After masking off the roof insert I then applied coats of Tamiya Pure White. After that I masked off what will be the white scallops with Bare-Metal-Foil. When the blue paint dries and I scrape off the BMF I am hoping I have a body that looks like the Silver Sapphire.

2v2EhfYihximYT.jpg