Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Pontiac Gran Prix custom ......try it again

Peter Lombardo

This is the artwork that came in the kit. I really liked the color and the front end treatment so I thought I would build one similar to it. c8tJ3EJJoJi4MIezZ_fStUNbFUM0FoD1B6AGhRh5 Never built this kit as a kid because by 1966 I was into real cars, young ladies and lot's of beer, so now, much later I am finally doing one.  To begin with I did not like the roof line of the Grand Prix thinking that the Bonneville roof looked much better.YJJFaCrEngQ7FftPUnTZx5zMAypUPT3ahXm_rraI  So I added a vacuum formed roof I made and added a scale 4 inch chop.  The A pillar was laid back giving the front windshield a sleeker look. QthXD3ClBZuUaLq4bAUvpKtyEOML_BDO1bEma8mj The 4 grills in the front looked too bright to me so I stripped the chrome off them and painted them the body color.  I opened and hinged the doors and added embedded tail lights in the rear keeping with the minimum chrome feeling of the design. iiWX14VEMytSIBq8tVtZTb9BHztsoKHiPr3EZpRX The exhaust cluster in the center rear was added from  the parts box.  Wheels came from Pegasus and disc brakes from the parts box then I dropped the car down as low as I could. eZcaOeq2B5h3xKuKIp6jER6h8aMg1GINdXwRYn3h Not much done to the engine bay except wiring, heater lines, a/c compressor added and a body painted large air filter.  The car was primed, sanded, dark blue base coat, sanded, topped with Testors "color shift" Emerald Turquoise (intended to be sprayed over black, but I went with dark blue) and then topped with Tamiya clear. 3oeDRXtK-Sr5uwUt1yJ9HAMUc_1eTk7qoMIt-dEs A fairly simple build for me, but I am pleased with the finished product.  P.S.  I had a very nice paint job on it and then I got crazy and screwed it up completely.  Because the original paint was fairly think from the multiple layers, stripping it was a bear and a half and the repaint just din't work out as well..... lesson learned. QS8WZMiY7zRhMbHlx-g9FQJm4phUek5GZUwjNn8u  Also, sorry about the stray hair on the roof in a few of the shots..... another lesson learned again for the um''teeth time.

Edited by Peter Lombardo

Sweet! These '60s-style customs seem to be making a comeback lately. I'm looking forward to doing a few of them myself sometime soon. 

Special respect to you for correctly "inside hinging" the door instead of the more commonly seen and incorrect "outside hinges." 

Well done and model on! 

On 7/3/2019 at 9:12 AM, Peter Lombardo said:

P.S.  I had a very nice paint job on it and then I got crazy and screwed it up completely. 

Gee, I thought it was just me that did stuff like that...:lol:

Nice recovery.  Looks like everything came together to create a real cool looking build.

I can see it now. What a shame about the paint issues, but it really isn't all that noticeable unless you're looking for it. Very creative body work especially the roof and tail lights. The doors look like they're hung perfectly with no misalignment. I like the paint treatment, I will steal that idea in the future.