Model Cars Magazine Forum

Started on a new build for my "day in 1979" diorama.  I learned how to drive in a 62 Ford flatbed pickup and later we had a 64 1 ton dually flatbed that I put some miles on.  This build will be a tribute to the dually.  I am using the 66 Moebius stepside kit for this.  I am making parts along the way as I build this conversion.  This will be an all wood flatbed and the cab will be caribean blue/green.  I started with the frame and stretched it to the longer cab and chassis wheelbase.

small.jpg.c2503b4e6598edef5663c9632057c756.jpg

Next was finding a dana rear axle.  I used the firestone 78 Ford rear axle as it is for an F350.  

small1.jpg.52cfde398704b032d3fa69d18f08c233.jpg

An issue I had right away was 1 ton leaf springs.  I got on my computer and researched some pictures and made the rear springs with over loads.  They are not 100% accurate for a 1966 but are close enough for me.

small2.jpg.29b5797243c00132371d5c2447311e44.jpg

Next up was altering the front fenders for F350.  This was simple as I just took away the inner radius to achieve the right fenders.

small3.jpg.1fbb0b05e66e29b37c40fa641cbd02f2.jpgsmall4.jpg.3a26ed1339ee1e15813edcaa3da47e39.jpg

Next up was the wheels.  I needed Ford 6 lug wheels and truck tires so I made some for this build.  I will offer the wheels and everything else on my website "Rookieresin.com".   I also made a straight axle for the front and used the firestone 4x4 springs for the right ride height.  The 1:1 springs a flatter but I opted for the higher front end.

small5.jpg.c359aeac82b68a5b2da9e3ee377a6e68.jpg

Painted and weathered the tire/wheels and just set them up for a mock up and checking everything.  I sanded off the chrome trim on the cab and hood and started on the bed and made a new dash bezel as the 350's had a different gauge cluster.

small6.jpg.2c1a622caac337b3079d33a14b908ad5.jpg

Thanks for looking and comments are welcome! 

Off to a great start Bill.

I started on almost the same truck model in 2017. My dad had a 64 F-350 flat bed we used in our custom cabinet business.

I modified an old AMT 63 unibody kit. Scratch built a frame, modified the cab into a small window & need to correct the side body lines.

Still a long ways to go. Is mocked up on the wrong wheels. I do have some resin wheels I got off Ebay, but think yours are better looking.

Here's a pic.

63FordPU003-vi.jpg

15 hours ago, bill lanfear said:

Thanks Lou, the color I am going with is the Caribbean blue/green color Ford had on these. 

Like this one?  :)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

2016061117_39_19_zpsek9jaxer-vi.jpg

Great concept Bill. I can see I might need to add a few parts to the order ^_^

Edited by mk11

13 hours ago, Lordmodelbuilder said:

Off to a great start Bill.

I started on almost the same truck model in 2017. My dad had a 64 F-350 flat bed we used in our custom cabinet business.

I modified an old AMT 63 unibody kit. Scratch built a frame, modified the cab into a small window & need to correct the side body lines.

Still a long ways to go. Is mocked up on the wrong wheels. I do have some resin wheels I got off Ebay, but think yours are better looking.

Here's a pic

Thanks Brad, that is looking really cool!  I started with the diecast 66 Ford but then Moebius started releasing these kits so I scrubbed the diecast for a more accurate cab with details. Are you going for a car hauler or flatbed?

3 hours ago, espo said:

I like seeing the "Big Truck" theme of this build. While I don't build this style my self I still learn from and enjoy watching how these conversions are done. 

Thanks David,  if you have questions, just PM me and I will be happy to explain things in more detail if needed.

Your F 350 looks great Bill. I was thinking of the same conversion for quite some time.  Your inlarged front fender openings look perfect.  Will definitely purchase your wheels when they become available! The 1 ton frame would also be a great item if it also becomes available.

Edited by leafsprings

1 hour ago, bill lanfear said:

Thanks Brad, that is looking really cool!  I started with the diecast 66 Ford but then Moebius started releasing these kits so I scrubbed the diecast for a more accurate cab with details. Are you going for a car hauler or flatbed?

This will be a flatbed with the wood stake sides like our real truck was. We used it to deliver our custom cabinets to the job sites.

The color will be gold with an ivory accents & interior. Need to see if I have a pic of the real truck somewhere.

12 hours ago, bill lanfear said:

I just wanted to let everyone know that the dually wheels are available now and I have, since posting this build, created the whole front suspension for this conversion and it is also available at https://www.rookieresin.com/   Thank you all!   Bill

Great stuff, Bill.  I know where some money's going the first of the month.. Can you tell us what the O.D. of the wheels is. my truck wheels assortment is sorely lacking..

1 minute ago, Ralph Henderson said:

Great stuff, Bill.  I know where some money's going the first of the month.. Can you tell us what the O.D. of the wheels is. my truck wheels assortment is sorely lacking..

Thanks Ralph.   The outer diameter is 16.5mm on the fronts including the ring on the outside, which comes out to about a 16 inch wheel for 1/25 scale, the rears are 17mm due to an extra lip on the outside like a split ring thing but the wheel itself comes in at about 16mm same as the fronts.  The depth was tricky but I made them about 7.07mm from lugs to back ring (front wheels) and rear are close to same, maybe a hair narrower and they all have a small lip on the back so people can either use that or sand it off and use their own wheel backs.  I hope to expand these and make bigger wheels like 17" or bigger eventually.   Hope this helps.  

3 minutes ago, bill lanfear said:

Thanks Ralph.   The outer diameter is 16.5mm on the fronts including the ring on the outside, which comes out to about a 16 inch wheel for 1/25 scale, the rears are 17mm due to an extra lip on the outside like a split ring thing but the wheel itself comes in at about 16mm same as the fronts.  The depth was tricky but I made them about 7.07mm from lugs to back ring (front wheels) and rear are close to same, maybe a hair narrower and they all have a small lip on the back so people can either use that or sand it off and use their own wheel backs.  I hope to expand these and make bigger wheels like 17" or bigger eventually.   Hope this helps.  

That's perfect, although I did have to dig out my calipers to change to inches. lol. looks like those will fit readily available tires.  That's REAL helpful.

Again, AWESOME stuff, Bill!