Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Mclaren M6A Fisher resin

Rich Chernosky

On a roll with resin kits. This one is also a Fisher and represents the Mclaren M6A that Bruce and Denny Hulme drove in the 1967 Can Am series. Colour is Mr Color 109 Character Yellow. This is a semi gloss colour and had to be clear coated. This particular colour was the closest match to a sample taken off the nose cone of an early F1 Mclaren. There has always been a huge debate over the orange colour used by Mclaren. But this was my choice. Other features include steering wheels, wired and plumbed engine insert, handmade roll bar and seat belts. This kit was by no means a walk in the park. Much grinding and fitting has to be done to get the chassis and wheels to sit right in the body. But in the end it was worth it as i am fairly pleased with the results. Comments appreciated as always.DSC06540.JPG.ff9f21b0c04f03a2879e5764f3ed7133.JPGI have a pet peeve about non steering wheels on a model. This was my solution. Plastruct rectangular tubing, brass rod and the stock axle. DSC06562.JPG.37602136a468751e7979d51b0b25a458.JPG

The roll bar was made from a steel paper clip. I got lucky when one end of it was just the right size. 

DSC06557.JPG

DSC06558.JPG

DSC06559.JPG

Another impressive build Rich and I appreciate your explanations and rationale.  One question though, what did you use to tint the windscreen?  

I saw these race at Mid Ohio and they were always exciting to watch and photograph with my Instamatic.;)

5d1e13196d70f_McLaren_M6B_5_1967_DHulme_MidOhio_sm.jpg.a1f40ec5275dec6ec92600b25c7ebb13.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

22 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

Another impressive build Rich and I appreciate your explanations and rationale.  One question though, what did you use to tint the windscreen?  

I saw these race at Mid Ohio and they were always exciting to watch and photograph with my Instamatic.;)

5d1e13196d70f_McLaren_M6B_5_1967_DHulme_MidOhio_sm.jpg.a1f40ec5275dec6ec92600b25c7ebb13.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

Very cool picture Gary, its similar to the box art. The windshield was vacuum formed in clear green plastic. No need to color it. 

I`m very happy to see such a beautyfull model. Particularly as it memorate me to my modelling begening: this was my 3rd model "built" ever - it was in 1968. I found the blueprint in a modelling magazine (hungarian) and was marked as McLaren M8A. The scale is 1:75. I haven`t any idea about the really color of the original so I painted in my favourite color. I had no more references only that b/w line blueprint.

mc laren m8a can-am 01.jpg

mc laren m8a can-am 03.jpg

Dale....I will give it a try with my next Mclaren project.  A friend of mine wanted a 1/43 version of this car built and he provided me a sample bottle of paint that was alleged matched to the nose of a real Mclaren.  Mr Color 109 Character Yellow matched this sample spot on. So I used it and it looked good to me. 

• 2 weeks later...