Model Cars Magazine Forum

New AMT Items

2 minutes ago, Force said:

It doesn't bother me as much but I expect to read about truck kits in the truck section of the forum, not cars.

Honestly, I didn't even notice what section it was in when I made responses to it until you complained about it. 

I come on here and just hit the "posts since last visit" button and get the new posts from all the board. 

Personally I think having a separate "news and reviews" section for trucks and cars is BS. but whatever. 

It’s been a long wait for the Bandag Bandit and the Hideout but glad for both ! I hope since Round 2 added new pad printed tires that they put Martin Carver on the Bandit tires since he was the driver when the truck set its records. Both he and Tyrone Malone had their names on the tires on the truck at one point. In the future I could see Round2 putting Coke markings on these kits for another run of the tooling . Heck do both Pepsi and Coke ! Or even Snake and Mongoose!

15 hours ago, PettyKW43 said:

It’s been a long wait for the Bandag Bandit and the Hideout but glad for both ! I hope since Round 2 added new pad printed tires that they put Martin Carver on the Bandit tires since he was the driver when the truck set its records. Both he and Tyrone Malone had their names on the tires on the truck at one point.

The Bandag Bandit kit is from a time period some years before Martin Carvers record setting,  the kit version (Bandag version 1) is from around 1980-81 like all the Tyrone Malone kits are except for the Thermo King version of the Super Boss wich is earlier (1976-79).
The "Bandit" still had Bandag Tyrone Malone markings on the tires when Martin set the new record August 26th 1988 and his name was only taped on the doors at the time, otherwise the truck was pretty much like before but somewhat gutted and stripped to get it lighter and some more stuff for safety was added.
Martin Carvers name appeared on the tires after he set the record and the paintjob was slightly changed from the version the kit represents and his name was also painted on the doors at the same time, so this is Bandag version 2.
The "Bandit" was damaged in a fire at Malones shop some time after the record and the cab was changed to an older one (pre 1973) and the paint scheme changed slightly again, this is the version wich still exists and sits at the Iowa 80 Truck museum (Bandag version 3), the interior is also different from the first versions as it's now all black, the earlier versions was much flashier with beige, white, blue and yellow colors for the interior.
So there has been four versions of the Bandag Bandit under it's life, one Thermo King version wich was from the first couple of years and three Bandag slightly different versions from 1979-80 to today.

Based on this I think the tires in the Bandag Bandit and Hideout Truck will most likely have Bandag Tyrone Malone markings like the Super Boss, and Papa Truck kits and I would guess the decals would be pretty much the same.as the earler issues of these kits from 1981-82.
Because if they would do the later Martin Carver version (Bandag version 2 after 1988) they have to do all new artwork for the decals for both the Bandit and the Hideout Truck as the paint scheme changed on both trucks about the same time.
I just hope they will include the "Bandag Bandit AMT Hobby Kit" scripts in gold and blue wich was on the end plates of the rear wing for most of the 80's,  this was missing on the first issue.
The Bandag version of the Super Boss kit has "Super Boss AMT Hobby Kit" on it's wing end plates and these scripts were put on when AMT did the model kits, and after Martin Carvers record 1988 the scripts on the end plates on the "Bandit" was changed to "Timed By United States Auto Club  Bonneville Salt Flats  August 88 150.918 mph".

Edited by Force

14 hours ago, Vince Nemanic said:

I wonder it the new Vega FC might have begun as an MPC tool, such as the Barry Setzer car?

Based on this, Round2 mentions the Bruce Larson car. 

I don't see the point in having a separate truck section ever since the pickup and van crowd were moved to this section, because I always came to this section just for BIG RIG information and now not only is this section cluttered with pickup and van stuff, now car discussion is filtering in. It doesn't bother me as much as some because I buy and build everything, so what is the point of having separate sections.  

4 minutes ago, Vince Nemanic said:

Hiway, yu showed a picture od the Bruce Larson Vega Pro Stock that has been promised foryears. The listing says that it is a funny car and doesn't mention a driver or sponsor.

The funny car is a different kit.   I posted the pic of the Pro Stock kits over in the Round 2 car thread earlier.  

I had some self awareness and realized that my last post was too much off topic wich I did complain about in it, so I must have removed it when you wrote your answer, that's the reason for the --.

Edited by Force