Model Cars Magazine Forum

1930 Packard Club sedan

landman

16 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

No, you should do whatever you think looks best.

Yes , you should . Facts , this is a 1930 MY Packard . The Cadillac ad is for a 1932 MY Cadillac IIRC . Conspicuous Consumption fell out of favor by 1932 . This was the height of the depression .  The Wealthy would buy a Premium Car with cheap tires to tone down the High Dollar look . Still keeping up with the Jones next door , but , restrained . Not full out flaunting it . Thus displaying and appearing to suffer also . Appearance is everything .  With Money , it would not matter how soon you had to replace cheap Tires . The cost of 'retiring' your fine Motorcar was not an Issue .  I had Family Members in the Car Business during these years .   Thanx 

42 minutes ago, dimaxion said:

Yes , you should . Facts , this is a 1930 MY Packard . The Cadillac ad is for a 1932 MY Cadillac IIRC . Conspicuous Consumption fell out of favor by 1932 . This was the height of the depression .  The Wealthy would buy a Premium Car with cheap tires to tone down the High Dollar look . Still keeping up with the Jones next door , but , restrained . Not full out flaunting it . Thus displaying and appearing to suffer also . Appearance is everything .  With Money , it would not matter how soon you had to replace cheap Tires . The cost of 'retiring' your fine Motorcar was not an Issue .  I had Family Members in the Car Business during these years .   Thanx 

MY?

41 minutes ago, dimaxion said:

Um...no. If you read to the bottom you will see this ad is from Good Housekeeping 1930, not 1932. If you look at period advertising you will see many examples of very high end cars, i.e. Model J Duesenberg,  Packard Twelve, and Model 452 Cadillacs shod with blackwall tires. Ultimately though, this is Pat's model to do with as he sees fit.and he is doing a fine job with this very interesting model.

59 minutes ago, dimaxion said:

Like  Eric said, it's a 1930 Cadillac, and it looks like the art was based on a car Cadillac sent to Europe as part of a promotional tour in the summer of 1930.

image041.jpg

More info on the tour here.  https://www.newcadillacdatabase.org/static/CDB/Dbas_txt/v16eurotx.htm.  It looks like some of the cars in the tour had whitewalls, and some didn't.

19 minutes ago, Eric Macleod said:

Ultimately though, this is Pat's model to do with as he sees fit.and he is doing a fine job with this very interesting model.

I'm in total agreement on both points.

22 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

No, you should do whatever you think looks best.

OK. Here are all the old cars I owned. All except one had whitewall tires. And the exception had white lettering. That should point to my preference. :rolleyes:

1931 Ford Model A 5-Window coupe (81-83).jpg

1934 Chevrolet Master (Since 2001).jpg

1940 Packard 110 (83-95).jpg

1947 Oldsmobile  L-78  (98-02).jpg

1964 Studebaker GT Hawk (95-98).jpg

1967 Ford Mustang GTA 2005-2018.jpg

26 minutes ago, landman said:

OK. Here are all the old cars I owned. All except one had whitewall tires. And the exception had white lettering. That should point to my preference. :rolleyes:

That is a sweet collection.   

The point was more aimed at John that as far as authenticity goes, both ways are perfectly acceptable. :)

Edited by Richard Bartrop

3 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

That is a sweet collection.   

The point was more aimed at John that as far as authenticity goes, both ways are perfectly acceptable. :)

I agree. Great, and enviable collection there Pat. I remember the restoration thread on the Chevy you posted on the AACA Forum and your work was impressive indeed.

I agree both ways whitewall or blackwall are historically correct. I find myself very much of a stickler,  only when information presented as evidence is blatantly wrong or is misleading.  I reiterate,  the decision here lies only with the builder. For the record,  my own 1930 Cord L-29 WIP will have whitewall tires as nearly all period photos of those cars were shod with whitewalls, often double whites at that.

Please keep us posted regarding your progress on this excellent Packard.

The bottom molding is in place. Looking to copy the spear at the rear of the beltline molding to apply it to the front at the cowl I have foil and clay imprints. We'll see how it turns out. Failing that, I'll attempt to carve one.

IMG_9502.JPG

IMG_9503.JPG

IMG_9504.JPG

By chance do you have any leftover inspiration you could send my way?  I am thoroughly enjoying watching this build.  These style automobiles have always held my attention, and you seem to have the same perception of detail the original coachbuilders possessed.  

As for my $.02 on the tires, it will depend upon the paint scheme you use.  If the colors are bright, then black-walls would look right; if the color is darker or more subdued than whitewalls would brighten it up.  Again that is only my $.02 and probably worth less than that.  Keep building and updating.

11 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

By chance do you have any leftover inspiration you could send my way?  I am thoroughly enjoying watching this build.  These style automobiles have always held my attention, and you seem to have the same perception of detail the original coachbuilders possessed.  

As for my $.02 on the tires, it will depend upon the paint scheme you use.  If the colors are bright, then black-walls would look right; if the color is darker or more subdued than whitewalls would brighten it up.  Again that is only my $.02 and probably worth less than that.  Keep building and updating.

Ricky, give me a few days and I'll come up with some ideas for you.

I think you might want to consider making some sort of a flared housing to cover the post your rear mounted spares are attached to. The 3 quarter view from the rear exposes the post quite a bit and that IMHO detracts somewhat from the smooth flow of the rest of the car. Over all the look is quite graceful and appealing. Thanks for keeping us updated.

21 hours ago, misterNNL said:

I think you might want to consider making some sort of a flared housing to cover the post your rear mounted spares are attached to. The 3 quarter view from the rear exposes the post quite a bit and that IMHO detracts somewhat from the smooth flow of the rest of the car. Over all the look is quite graceful and appealing. Thanks for keeping us updated.

I had considered using this thing earlier. Now that you bring that up, I may as well, like shroud to the post. Does that look more finished?

Spare tire stanchion.JPG

Spare tire stanchion.JPG 2.JPG

Spare tire stanchion.JPG 3.JPG

Spare tire stanchion.JPG 4.JPG

1 hour ago, landman said:

I had considered using this thing earlier. Now that you bring that up, I may as well, like shroud to the post. Does that look more finished?

Spare tire stanchion.JPG

Spare tire stanchion.JPG 2.JPG

Spare tire stanchion.JPG 3.JPG

Spare tire stanchion.JPG 4.JPG

Yes that is better(IMO) than the thin post. It eliminates that thin unsupported looking stem mounting adding strength and mass to support those spares. Nicely done.

6 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

That's looking sharp!  The dual rear spares give it a very European look.

And speaking of spares, are you going to remove that bulge under the front fender?

Never even thought of doing that. thanks for pointing it out. I guess I'll have to do that.

37 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

Beautifully done. My favorite is the "shooting brake" woody. Did you scratch build the wooden parts from styrene or basswood?

No. Those pictures are other people's builds. I think the Bugatti is areal car.