Model Cars Magazine Forum

Most beautiful planes of all time...

Me, '79-'85. They were looking for people to train as Blackhawk door gunners in '80. I wanted to apply; but Top denied my request because I was the Unit Armorer. He said I already got to play with all the other toys in the closet. First Fred did let me attend MTU, though. Loved those XM-21s with Leatherwood ART scopes. you could castrate a fly at 1000 yds.

3 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Yeah, I was thinking more of how scouts and gunships flew well ahead of troop ships and also D model Huey's were not gunships except foe Australian birds. C model Huey's were gunships as well as the Cobra, and as you mentioned, troop ships never landed. Sounds like I was in the service same time as you. 80-86.

And USAF never operated F-5As in silver finish in Nam. USAF evaluated the F-5A/C briefly in Vietnam around 1966, then turned them over to the VNAF, who used them extensively right up to the end. The USAF F-5s were camoed, as were all the VNAF F-5s from that point on. The movie leased silver-painted F-5As from Philippines Air Force, and slapped some bogus USAF markings on them for filming. 

Again, pretty cool looking, but not remotely close to historically accurate. 

Try finding Thuds, Huns or Rhinos that are available to rent for a movie. Uncle Sugar didn't play that game. FFC had to make do with what he could get. The Phillipine government was amenable to leasing its equipment out for a movie shoot; so, Freedom Fighters it was. At least, M-47s weren't used as Tiger I stand-ins, as seen in more than a few films. "They Were Not Divided" a 1950 British film about the Guards Armoured Division, and "The Fall of Berlin", a Soviet movie also released in 1950, were unique in that they featured a large number of actual German vehicles, including  Tiger Is and Panthers.

1 hour ago, El Roberto said:

There's a plane in the pic?

Yes. It looks like a T-6G/SNJ-5/Harvard IV in postwar US Navy Reserve markings (very interesting), but some random woman with outdated clothes and hair insisted on butting into the picture (pun intended). Would like to see more of the airplane. Her, not so much. :unsure:

2 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

At last! Someone who knows what “beautiful” means! ;-P How did I forget the Bugatti? Especially since I have a 1/24 Fisher kit waiting for me to build it...

best,

M.

To each his own. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

8 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

A few favourite oldies

The Hawker Fury II is also right up there.

1434612266134.jpg

It doesn't take too much imagination to see the embryo of the more famous Hurricane in there. 

A project I've wanted to do for a while now would be a display called "Evolution."  It would start with a Fury, and progress through an early Hurricane, a late Hurricane, a car-door Typhoon, a bubbletop Typhoon, a Tempest V, a Tempest II, and finally a Sea Fury. It's remarkable to watch the gradual, logical progression and evolution of the Hawker line of fighters over this decade. 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

A project I've wanted to do for a while now would be a display called "Evolution."  It would start with a Fury, and progress through an early Hurricane, a late Hurricane, a car-door Typhoon, a bubbletop Typhoon, a Tempest V, a Tempest II, and finally a Sea Fury. It's remarkable to watch the gradual, logical progression and evolution of the Hawker line of fighters over this decade. 

You and me both! I actually made a start on this to mark the Centenary of Flight. You can make a case that the Hawker lineage runs through from the Sopwith Camel (TOM Sopwith ran Hawker Aviation,  which came into being when the Sopwith company went bust post WW1) right through to the Eurofighter. I had the Camel and Snipe at the beginning of your list, and then Sea Hawk, Hunter, Harrier, Tornado, Hawk 200 and Eurofighter at the end. 100 years from Camel to Eurofighter...

best,

M.

1 hour ago, Matt Bacon said:

You and me both! I actually made a start on this to mark the Centenary of Flight. You can make a case that the Hawker lineage runs through from the Sopwith Camel (TOM Sopwith ran Hawker Aviation,  which came into being when the Sopwith company went bust post WW1) right through to the Eurofighter. I had the Camel and Snipe at the beginning of your list, and then Sea Hawk, Hunter, Harrier, Tornado, Hawk 200 and Eurofighter at the end. 100 years from Camel to Eurofighter...

best,

M.

Very cool! Do it! I'm not really seeing the direct lineage (visually) between the early biplanes and the Hart, and between the Sea Fury and the Sea Hawk, but if you do, go for it! I'd love to see the lineup. B)

I have two other "Evolutions" in mind: 

Grumman: F3F to F4F Wildcat to F6F Hellcat to F8F Bearcat to F7F Tigercat to F9F Panther to F9F Cougar to F11F Tiger. I think the jump to F14 Tomcat is then "an evolution too far, " but note how the Tigercat, with its straight wings, pointy nose, and tricycle gear makes a nice evolutionary jump from Bearcat to jet Panther. 

North American: P-51/P-51A to P-51B to P-51B/C with Malcolm hood and added dorsal strake, to P-51D to P-51H to T-28 to FJ (straightwing) Fury to F-86A to F-86E or F to F-86H to FJ-4 Fury to F-100 to F-107. Yes, I know the T-28 is chronologically out of line, coming along after the F-86, but its tricycle gear makes a smooth visual transition from the taildragging Mustangs to the straightwing jet FJ Fury.  (Notice sometime how similar the Mustang, T-28 and FJ Fury are in planform.) 

On 7/7/2019 at 8:05 PM, Snake45 said:

Can't argue with the Corsair. My vote for Most Beautiful variant goes to the R4360-powered F2G. Just pure badass!

goodyear-f2g-2-corsair-n5577n-race-74-ca

Sadly, these two are the same plane. The pilot/restorer was an acquaintance of mine and was shocking loss to all in our community. Fortunately, I got to climb all over this plane about a month prior to attending his wake.

19488370_BG1.jpg

59 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Good lord. What happened?

Part of the tragedy is it appears to be pilot error. He was an immensely accomplished pilot and warbird restorer. Rebuilt two of the rarest Super Corsair air racers and had a P-51 wing shop. He and Bob Hoover were close friends and he flew air shows all over the country and annually at Oshkosh. But on this day six years ago, during a practice just a couple towns over, he crashed doing a barrel roll. The NTSB cites insufficient altitude for the maneuver.

Many questions remain, because it's so unlikely such an accomplished pilot would make such a fundamental mistake on such a fundamental maneuver. Because of the state of the plane, it's giving up no secrets regarding possible mechanical factors.

On 7/6/2019 at 5:14 PM, TarheelRick said:

Very biased on my picks.  The C-130 Hercules is the first aircraft I worked on in the USAF and the F-4 (different variations  F-4D, F-4E, RF-4C) was the one I worked on the most.  Love those two warbirds. And I did work on this particular F-4D when I was in Thailand.

F-4_Phantom_II_Collings_Foundation.jpg

C-130_1_Yokota_Tokyo.jpg

Hey Rick, the F4D was my all time favorite as well!!!  I was stationed at Holloman AFB and our entire 49th TFW was sent txt to Takhli RTAFB, Thailand in late April 1972 in support of Operation Linebacker...I was a weapons loader this I have many a scar on my back from the F4 belly!!!  I was fortunate to be part of the great squadron 417th TFS with some great Officers and NCO’s...my favorite part was getting in the front seat to do the electrical functional tests of the weapons systems and the 20 minute quick turns!  Got to see a bunch of U2 take offs and landings and see the SS 396 El Camino chase vehicles in action!  Saw my first live King Cobra snake and sniper fire there also!!!  I have very biased opinions on the war overall but that’s for another day! 

I wouldn't say this is the most beautiful plane but it is the plane that always brought a smile to my face. If I was getting this plane it meant it was the school holidays so I was going to my granny and grandads for the summer. This plane also has a world record (shortest commercial scheduled flight) Thay are currently working on converting some of these to electric for use where i live as the longest flihjts these do is less than a hour. Also just to the left of the gray building in the background is my grannies house. The pic is off the old colour scheme when the local distillery (highland park whisky) sponsored it for advertising

BBKP79.jpg