Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors 288 Ferrari GTO

Brudda

Thank you  Iam Superdan and Dogfish. The model is not nice. The plastic is kind of brittle , a lot of sinkmarks, the stock stance is terrible. But if you go into it knowing this, fix all the problems the kit is ok. The dimensions seem to be good. I thought this would be a breeze but again I was wrong. Thank you guys very much for the great comments.

Thank you funky chiken . These next pics is what I did to get the ride height correct. And what I did to get the wheel and tire to set inside the wheelhouse correctly. Other wise the car would set too high and the tires would stick out. I drilled the disc brakes to fit inside the wheel. If you do it by the testors instructions the tires will stick out of the body. I cut off the spindle shafts and put them on the wheel. Drilled a small hole to put a piece of round brass stock. I drilled the front spindle with two hole locations and the rear with three hole locations. Gives me options on ride height. I will then epoxy the rear wheels , then the next day do the same to the front. I just dry fit the tire /wheel for the photos. Hope this helps with this car. 

FC185A5A-05DC-47EF-99A5-913C453DCB0B.jpeg

911C8785-A046-41A1-83C8-A991B9033C82.jpeg

7B763885-B9D3-4A13-96FA-0A7EDC7B9F15.jpeg

9075BD57-18CE-4B77-A8A2-FFC5768C2B68.jpeg

Thank you DannTier, thank you Peter, thank you Modbldr for your comments. Putting the glass in now . It’s very brittle. Hope the chassis goes into the body. The rear glass has to fit a channel so this may be nerve racking. Hoping for the best

Put the chassis and interior into the body. I was impressed as the body went on without any problems. Rear glass mounted into the channel with ease for some reason. I thought I might have to fight it but did not. Tomorrow the wheels to the car. 

83C707D5-3E0A-4E26-8EAB-B2E75E10A156.jpeg

09FF8E6B-41BA-4FD1-90BD-907F4F9654CA.jpeg

99A728DB-8F07-4B59-BC3E-2E2F9FD6B839.jpeg

6140FD66-E8C4-47FE-A10A-1AEC6B57D158.jpeg

Thank you dragmodels44 and thank you Jantrix. Jantrix your comment on a lousy kit is correct. I noticed that I started out saying it wasn’t bad to it’s a rough kit. The more I got into it , the kit was getting worse. Seems like they did some good on the details but failed on other things. The sinkmarks and the stock stance are very bad. The plastic is different also. I tried a white primer and the red plastic bled right thru. Turned the body pink. So I sanded that off and used a automotive primer. PPG one choice grey automotive primer. This held it down. I bought this kit for $5 at a swap meet. I opened the box before I bought it and what sold me was the grills on the body. So I thought the rest of the kit was good. Boy was I wrong. But it worked out. Not the best 288 GTO but it came out ok. Thanks for all your comments.