Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lee Iacocca Memorial Community Build

Joe Handley

Did Iacocca do that Dodge?
I actually got that kit right infront om me at the moment. I got it as a "mystery-kit" at a show some years ago. It has no boxtop, just the normal brown-grey boxbottom without any logos or other writings on it and there is no instructions either but all the parts are in bags (except widnows and tires that are loose at the bottom of the box) and it appears complete. At the time I got it nobody knew what it was (including the seller and myself) but I did a little check on the parts an it looked to me like a late-80s or early 90s MPC or AMT/Ertl tooling and looking at the body I knew it had to be something from the 80s and I did see som Chrysler logos on the parts so I figures it was some 80s Chrysler product but never did any more research into it to find out exactly what it is. Now I do see what it is, looks to be a decent kit and that boxart on yours sure make it look like a really bad one. The RC2 era boxarts really suck:lol:

2 hours ago, Atmobil said:

I actually got that kit right infront om me at the moment. I got it as a "mystery-kit" at a show some years ago. It has no boxtop, just the normal brown-grey boxbottom without any logos or other writings on it and there is no instructions either but all the parts are in bags (except widnows and tires that are loose at the bottom of the box) and it appears complete. At the time I got it nobody knew what it was (including the seller and myself) but I did a little check on the parts an it looked to me like a late-80s or early 90s MPC or AMT/Ertl tooling and looking at the body I knew it had to be something from the 80s and I did see som Chrysler logos on the parts so I figures it was some 80s Chrysler product but never did any more research into it to find out exactly what it is. Now I do see what it is, looks to be a decent kit and that boxart on yours sure make it look like a really bad one. The RC2 era boxarts really suck:lol:

These were an offshoot of his K-Car and mechanically related to their early minivans (although the brakes on Dad's '06 T&C look like they might still bolt on:blink:) as well. This was kind of their version of the Pony Car at the time and built using their current economy car platform, much like the Mustang being built from the Falcon back in the 60's.  This box art does give you a better idea what's in the box than the AMT/ERTL era boxes did, just not as well presented as the original MPC box art for their issues of the early "4 eye" ('84-'86 or '87) cars. It honestly looks like it was built by somebody who knew little of the cars and didn't bother to learn much about them to build the red box art car.......like the buckets the headlights fit in are matte black, not body color<_< One interesting thing about this kit is that they include half the parts to build this as a Turbo 1 "draw through" car that could be built with the A-413 3 speed auto as well as the Getrag 5 speed manual. Probably wouldn't take much to open the gates to the early "Draw Through" T1 engine pieces that are missing as well as tool the few pieces needed to build later "Blow Through" T1 that would both be right for this version of the Daytona as well. The V-8 swap parts offered are horrible and make the car less than driveable, even if it was show only!  The V-8 looks like no domestic Pushrod engine I've ever seen, it doesn't have a transmission, just what is more or less a power take off or V-Drive assembly that attatches directly to the bellhousing and goes into a driveshaft assembly that  would be right for a 2.2/2.5 TBI build, but would induce violent torque steer with anything that looks like it might have enough power to get out of it's own way. It also bugs me that AMT/ERTL never updated the aftermarket wheels to represent something with 5 lugs after Chrysler made that change to all the Daytonas and Lazers starting in '85, no matter the drivetrain, suspension, or rolling stock.......that said, those look like they would work well on a Japanese tuner car from that period!

4 hours ago, Atmobil said:

He was a part of Mother MOPAR in some capacity all the way up to the point where FIAT entered the picture. He may not have personally designed the '88 Daytona, but it did come from his earlier ideas with the front drive cars. I would think anything built during his tenure would acceptable in this memorial build. 

3 hours ago, Bucky said:

He was a part of Mother MOPAR in some capacity all the way up to the point where FIAT entered the picture. He may not have personally designed the '88 Daytona, but it did come from his earlier ideas with the front drive cars. I would think anything built during his tenure would acceptable in this memorial build. 

He had even said that if he had been younger after the whole Daimler mess was over, he would have returned to try and help turn things around again.

I saw the idea in the RIP topic, have given some thought to opening the AMT/Ertl infamous Dodge Stealth Indy Pace Car.  I got it on sale in '91, after I heard about the uproar about using a rebadged Mitsubishi, thought it would be a good investment.  Little did I know that AMT popped a billion of them, always see a few at model swaps, and I see they are asking less than $10, the dreamers want $25 for "rare" kit on eBay. :lol:  Story of my life.  Might as well break it open, and build Box Stock.  Curious to see the "strobe light assembly".

I just got this glue bomb original AMT '65 Mustang HT in black that needs to be rebuilt (it's WAY past being suitable for "rescue."). It might make a suitable candidate for a memorial build. 

Actually, come to think of it, it MIGHT be suitable for a quickie "rescue" rebop. The bare spots could be touched up with a black paint Sharpie, and it might not look half bad until I can find the time to give it the full rebuild it deserves. 

65MustangGBBlack02.jpg.606d2dc294660f2a66383f80bd301135.jpg

1 hour ago, 89AKurt said:

I saw the idea in the RIP topic, have given some thought to opening the AMT/Ertl infamous Dodge Stealth Indy Pace Car.  I got it on sale in '91, after I heard about the uproar about using a rebadged Mitsubishi, thought it would be a good investment.  Little did I know that AMT popped a billion of them, always see a few at model swaps, and I see they are asking less than $10, the dreamers want $25 for "rare" kit on eBay. :lol:  Story of my life.  Might as well break it open, and build Box Stock.  Curious to see the "strobe light assembly".

Might as well!

I was telling a friend of mine about this community build and that it should have an interesting and possibly weird mix of FWD Mopars and Mustangs by the time we're done with this:lol:

Edited by Joe Handley

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I just got this glue bomb original AMT '65 Mustang HT in black that needs to be rebuilt (it's WAY past being suitable for "rescue."). It might make a suitable candidate for a memorial build. 

Actually, come to think of it, it MIGHT be suitable for a quickie "rescue" rebop. The bare spots could be touched up with a black paint Sharpie, and it might not look half bad until I can find the time to give it the full rebuild it deserves. 

65MustangGBBlack02.jpg.606d2dc294660f2a66383f80bd301135.jpg

Looks good, as is! I've certainly seen some real ones running around back in the day that looked much worse! Folks would just drive 'em, and drive 'em, and drive 'em!!! LOL

1 hour ago, 89AKurt said:

I know many will want to do a Viper.  I did this last century.  I'm also the type of person to be a contrarian.  :rolleyes:

757535530_8b0f4f70f0_o.jpg

I knew a guy back in the late 70's who outran a cop who was in a big Dodge interceptor with a 440. Can't imagine that happening to this pursuit cruiser!

Edited by Bucky

7 hours ago, Bucky said:

Looks good, as is! I've certainly seen some real ones running around back in the day that looked much worse! Folks would just drive 'em, and drive 'em, and drive 'em!!! LOL

I think I've talked myself into it. Will try to get it broken down and cleaned up tonight. I can't deal with that gold interior, so something will have to be done about that. Will probably give it a swim in Lake Purple and see what it looks like underneath. Hmmmmm. 

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I think I've talked myself into it. Will try to get it broken down and cleaned up tonight. I can't deal with that gold interior, so something will have to be done about that. Will probably give it a swim in Lake Purple and see what it looks like underneath. Hmmmmm. 

If it is the same interior  as the 66 coupe it would save time to use one without layers of paint.  There ins't much difference between a 65 and 66 other than the dash and grille.

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

If it is the same interior  as the 66 coupe it would save time to use one without layers of paint.  There ins't much difference between a 65 and 66 other than the dash and grille.

I just dropped the interior into the Purple Pool so we'll see what happens. Meanwhile, the rest of it is in much worse shape than it looks like from the pictures. But I'll press on with the quickie plan anyway and see how it looks. 

Making it official, AMT Dodge Stealth (rebadged Mistsubishi 3000GT) Indy 500 Official Car.  Unsealed it, original sale price $8.10, according to eBay it's a "rare" collectible, can be found for $8.10, but some are asking $25.:lol:  Molded in pale yellow with some metal flakes to simulate pearl, the hood has some really thin spots so not painting isn't an option.  The strobe light is under the funky wing.  Can have the sunroof open, with deflector.  There are optional chrome rims, slightly smaller diameter and the offset is deep, not appropriate for FWD applications.  Goodyear tires.  Many parts were broken off, lucked out that the tires didn't melt the clear parts.  Debating about color, it came in pearl white too, but I've done two models already and my daily driver is pearl white, so might look for this shade yellow nail 'polish'.  Will be Box Stock.

DSC_0528_Fotor.jpg

DSC_0529_Fotor.jpg

48 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Making it official, AMT Dodge Stealth (rebadged Mistsubishi 3000GT) Indy 500 Official Car.  Unsealed it, original sale price $8.10, according to eBay it's a "rare" collectible, can be found for $8.10, but some are asking $25.:lol:  Molded in pale yellow with some metal flakes to simulate pearl, the hood has some really thin spots so not painting isn't an option.  The strobe light is under the funky wing.  Can have the sunroof open, with deflector.  There are optional chrome rims, slightly smaller diameter and the offset is deep, not appropriate for FWD applications.  Goodyear tires.  Many parts were broken off, lucked out that the tires didn't melt the clear parts.  Debating about color, it came in pearl white too, but I've done two models already and my daily driver is pearl white, so might look for this shade yellow nail 'polish'.  Will be Box Stock.

DSC_0529_Fotor.jpg

Well now you're just giving me ideas! I have a snapper version of this kit and every now and then I get it out and want to build it, but can't decide on a color. They look great in red but I used to work for a guy who had one of these in red and he was a real jerkbag, so I don't want it in red. Have thought of graphite or gray of some kind to match its name but I'm sick of looking at real silver/gray cars on the road (including my own). But I hadn't thought of pearl white! Mine's molded in white styrene, so all I'd have to do is shoot a couple coats of Testor White Lightning Pearl right over that, what could be easier? Hmmmmm....now what color interior would look good with that....:huh: