Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lee Iacocca Memorial Community Build

Joe Handley

9 minutes ago, Vince Nemanic said:

Don't forget his biggest failure...the 1958 Edsel. There are lots of them for 8 bucks at Hobby Lobby

He didn't have anything to do with the Edsel though.....he did save Ford after it nearly killed the company though.

21 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Well now you're just giving me ideas! I have a snapper version of this kit and every now and then I get it out and want to build it, but can't decide on a color. They look great in red but I used to work for a guy who had one of these in red and he was a real jerkbag, so I don't want it in red. Have thought of graphite or gray of some kind to match its name but I'm sick of looking at real silver/gray cars on the road (including my own). But I hadn't thought of pearl white! Mine's molded in white styrene, so all I'd have to do is shoot a couple coats of Testor White Lightning Pearl right over that, what could be easier? Hmmmmm....now what color interior would look good with that....:huh:

:lol:  I just had a bad experience with red styrene, used a little for scratch-building something, the white paint drew the red out!  I'm going to have to remove offending parts and replace with white, throwing the rest of that scrap out!
I looked for nail 'polish' last night, did not find anything close to the pearl yellow with green tint.  ChinaMart is the next stop, then Sallys Beauty Supply!  I'm always tempted to get purple, or a color shift, it's like a candy store.  :P  The white cars had RED seats.

7 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

I looked for nail 'polish' last night, did not find anything close to the pearl yellow with green tint.  ChinaMart is the next stop, then Sallys Beauty Supply! 

Not long ago I spent some time in a Sally Beauty looking for a couple particular colors. Didn't really find them and then looked at Walmart and found that Walmart has MANY more nail polishes--more lines, more colors, more price points--than Sally Beauty, to my surprise. 

One warning about nail polishes--if you find a color you like, be sure to buy enough of it to paint every model you think you will EVER want to do in that color. Nail polish colors come and go and what you buy today will probably be discontinued next week and never be available again. 

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Not long ago I spent some time in a Sally Beauty looking for a couple particular colors. Didn't really find them and then looked at Walmart and found that Walmart has MANY more nail polishes--more lines, more colors, more price points--than Sally Beauty, to my surprise. 

One warning about nail polishes--if you find a color you like, be sure to buy enough of it to paint every model you think you will EVER want to do in that color. Nail polish colors come and go and what you buy today will probably be discontinued next week and never be available again. 

ChinaMart is avoided at all costs, need to be a truly desperate model builder to go there.  :lol:  I found the Sallys, they had relocated.  Picked up two colors, will be experimenting.

On 7/7/2019 at 10:51 PM, Snake45 said:

I just got this glue bomb original AMT '65 Mustang HT in black that needs to be rebuilt (it's WAY past being suitable for "rescue."). It might make a suitable candidate for a memorial build. 

Actually, come to think of it, it MIGHT be suitable for a quickie "rescue" rebop. The bare spots could be touched up with a black paint Sharpie, and it might not look half bad until I can find the time to give it the full rebuild it deserves. 

65MustangGBBlack02.jpg.606d2dc294660f2a66383f80bd301135.jpg

I dug the Mustang out two nights ago and started on the quickie rescue job. It disassembled fairly easily. The dashboard and seats broke out of the interior tub and I dropped the whole interior into Lake Purple to remove the horrible gold. After 24 hours, about 90% of the gold is gone (cleanly) and I expect the rest will come off too.  I’ll probably paint the carpet and dashboard black and leave the seats and side panels white plastic, at least for the time being. Not gonna go crazy detailing the interior at this time.

On to the body. On the plus side, everything’s here and the bumpers aren’t even broken, which in my experience is a bit of a rarity with these old Mustangs. The body is in pretty good shape for a full rebuild, but not so much for a quickie rescue as I’m doing. The left rear corner of the hood is broken off and apparently glued solid to the top of the firewall. Not a big deal to fix on a rebuild, not that easy to hide on a quick rescue. The body was originally painted gold, like the interior, and the black is over that. The black is in pretty poor shape. I don’t know what it is as it has very little shine like a Testor or Pactra enamel, but it’s also not a flat black. Probably either AMT gloss lacquer applied too dry, or some kind of generic rattlecan stuff. Either way, it’s not suitable for color-sanding or polishing out and I’m not going to waste any time trying to do so.

You can see in the photo above a rather large glue booger on the left quarter just below the roof C-panel. (The roof on the AMT ’65 and ’66 Mustang coupe annuals was separate, and it could be built as a convertible.) First thing I did was file and sand this all off and then hit the area with a black  Sharpie Pro (chisel point) just to see what that would look like. It doesn’t look great but really not much worse than the paint on the rest of the thing. When I get all the white areas Black Sharpie-ed, I might hit the whole mess with one brushed coat of Future.

Meanwhile, I broke out the grille and started cleaning all the glue boogers off of that. I don’t know what this glue is but I discovered that it didn’t “bite” particularly well, and much of it could be simply picked, peeled, or pried off with little if any damage to the plastic underneath. It’s not quite as easy to remove as Elmer’s or Tacky Glue would be, but it’s definitely not Testor or Revell model glue.  Some kind of (balsa) model airplane glue, maybe? A wood glue? Duco? Who knows. But this turned out to be a very good thing, because the roof was glued on about 1/32” off center, and I was able to pry the whole thing off cleanly, YAY!  I was then able to pick the HUGE glue boogers off the base of the C-pillars with my fingernails, which was fabulous.  This also means I can easily hit the roof with a shot of rattlecan semigloss black, if the mood strikes me, although what’s on there now doesn’t look horrible for black vinyl. We’ll see what happens.

All four original wheels and tires are here, so that’s a plus. I do plan to hit both the grille and the wheel covers with a black wash.

There does seem to be some glue damage on the body where the roof C-pillars were glued on. This stuff isn’t picking or peeling off;  I spent aboujt a half hour last night filing on just the left side. The idea at this point is just to get the roof to fit back on passably well.

So that’s as far as I’ve gotten so far. Will try to take and post a couple pics tonight. As I’ve said, I don’t  have the time or inclination to do a full rebuild of this thing right now (too many other interesting projects on the bench), I’m just fixing it up a little to make it SOMEWHAT presentable for the moment and for the purpose of participating in this build. I’ve often said with my “rescues” that if I can get a project looking like something I might have built in 1968, I’m happy. With this job, I’m not sure I’ll be able to get it to look like one of the very first model cars I built in 1966! :unsure:

Lee Iacocca had two big failures at Ford before he hit a home run with the Mustang.

For 1956, he was instrumental at convincing Ford to emphasize safety (seat belts, padded dashes, and deep dish steering wheels) rather than performance. Chevrolet killed Ford with their "Hot Ones' advertising campaign.

Then he pushed the use of marketing research to show how great the Edsel would sell. Unfortunately, the use of Statistics and polling was in it's infancy, and the Ford researchers didn't realize how many of the people who were being samples were saying what they thought Ford wanted to hear rather than what they really thought of the cars they were being shown. Granted, there were other factors to Edsel's failure, such as the nations first post WWII recession, but as far as Ford was concerned it was Strike2 for the hot young executive.

In 1962, marketing research techniques were much improved, and Iacocca once again suggesting using previews of the new Cougar (it was renamed Mustang before going into production). Ford still distrusted the marketing research to the point that in 1963 the company took a preproduction Mustang convertible and had it chopped and customized, named it the Mustang II and sent it to several auto shows and racing events. The public's and media's reaction was so positive that Ford execs began to believe Iacocca's marketing data and gave the Mustang the go ahead. But the execs made it VERY clear that it was Iacocca's LAST chance.

So you see, Iacocca had a LOT to do with the Edsel.

On 7/10/2019 at 10:40 PM, Vince Nemanic said:

Lee Iacocca had two big failures at Ford before he hit a home run with the Mustang.

For 1956, he was instrumental at convincing Ford to emphasize safety (seat belts, padded dashes, and deep dish steering wheels) rather than performance. Chevrolet killed Ford with their "Hot Ones' advertising campaign.

Then he pushed the use of marketing research to show how great the Edsel would sell. Unfortunately, the use of Statistics and polling was in it's infancy, and the Ford researchers didn't realize how many of the people who were being samples were saying what they thought Ford wanted to hear rather than what they really thought of the cars they were being shown. Granted, there were other factors to Edsel's failure, such as the nations first post WWII recession, but as far as Ford was concerned it was Strike2 for the hot young executive.

In 1962, marketing research techniques were much improved, and Iacocca once again suggesting using previews of the new Cougar (it was renamed Mustang before going into production). Ford still distrusted the marketing research to the point that in 1963 the company took a preproduction Mustang convertible and had it chopped and customized, named it the Mustang II and sent it to several auto shows and racing events. The public's and media's reaction was so positive that Ford execs began to believe Iacocca's marketing data and gave the Mustang the go ahead. But the execs made it VERY clear that it was Iacocca's LAST chance.

So you see, Iacocca had a LOT to do with the Edsel.

I want to share this with you . The Safety Padded Dash and Visors were not Lee's .

Iaccoca's first big splash came in 1956, as an assistant sales manager in the Philadelphia district, when he came up with "56 for '56," a marketing program to combat flat Ford sales.

Under "56 for '56," customers made a 20 percent down payment followed by three years of monthly payments of $56 for a 1956 Ford.

All the Edsel accounts I've read since 1954 don't mention Lee Iaccoca . He was sales manager without input for New Models . As many readers are probably aware, in November 1960, Robert S. McNamara was named president of the Ford Motor Company, a role he ultimately held for less than two weeks. At around the same time, Lee Iacocca was promoted to vice president and Ford general manager. That’s all true; however, because McNamara was a past general manager of Ford Division and those promotions occurred more or less concurrently, some authors (including me, to my chagrin) have implied or even stated outright that Iacocca replaced McNamara at Ford, which is incorrect. Bob McNamara oversaw the Edsel .. 

Thanx .. 

19 minutes ago, dimaxion said:

I want to share this with you . The Safety Padded Dash and Visors were not Lee's .

Iaccoca's first big splash came in 1956, as an assistant sales manager in the Philadelphia district, when he came up with "56 for '56," a marketing program to combat flat Ford sales.

Under "56 for '56," customers made a 20 percent down payment followed by three years of monthly payments of $56 for a 1956 Ford.

All the Edsel accounts I've read since 1954 don't mention Lee Iaccoca . He was sales manager without input for New Models . As many readers are probably aware, in November 1960, Robert S. McNamara was named president of the Ford Motor Company, a role he ultimately held for less than two weeks. At around the same time, Lee Iacocca was promoted to vice president and Ford general manager. That’s all true; however, because McNamara was a past general manager of Ford Division and those promotions occurred more or less concurrently, some authors (including me, to my chagrin) have implied or even stated outright that Iacocca replaced McNamara at Ford, which is incorrect. Bob McNamara oversaw the Edsel .. 

Thanx .. 

The Duece was reluctant to OK the Mustang Lee proposed still stinging from the Edsel Failure .. Based on the Runaway success of the Falcon the Mustang got the nod . 

Thanx .. 

After another 48 hours in the Purple Pond, about 90% of what was left of the gold paint came off the '65 Mustang interior. There are still a few random spots of gold here and there in the seat "seams," but I think I can just scrape them off with an Xacto point. I don't know why gold paint is so hard to strip. I'm also trying to get gold off a '65 Falcon AWB. 24 hours in the Pond took off about 20% of it, and another 48 hours didn't do a thing. I have it soaking in alcohol now to see if that will do anything. Luckily this paint is very, very thin (almost looks like a stain on the plastic) so it shouldn't interfere with ultimately painting it. 

7 hours ago, madhorseman said:

Here's II You Lee Iacocca!! Thanks for the memories.

This was just a redo that I'm recently completing.

DSC00466-vi.jpg

DSC00465-vi.jpg

DSC00467-vi.jpg

DSC00470-vi.jpg

Very sharp mustang, Roy!!  Never forget Farrah Fawcett diving one just like it on Charlie's Angels...

On 7/10/2019 at 10:40 PM, Vince Nemanic said:

On 7/12/2019 at 3:39 PM, dimaxion said:

agreed! Ford was ahead of it's time in 1956 by promoting safety as their campaign.  The public just wasn't ready for that and sales were poor.  Then management noticed that one zone was doing well.  That's how Lee got noticed with his  "56 for '56" campaign.   That was the start of his climb to the top!

On 7/13/2019 at 9:03 PM, slusher said:

Very sharp mustang, Roy!!  Never forget Farrah Fawcett diving one just like it on Charlie's Angels...

Thanks Carl.

it was meant to be kind of a tribute to Farrah. Now repainted in Testors white lighting, roll cage and racing seats gone. But the twin Paxton supercharged 289 from the AMT Surf Woody is still there.

Edited by madhorseman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...