Model Cars Magazine Forum
Joe Handley

1988 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z

Ok, didn't do much lately on the car, just smoothed out the Miliput I used to fill in the sunroof seams and glues the mirrors to the body as well as cleaned up the panel gaps further, since they were pretty bad to almost non-existant in this kit. Figured it would come our better if I glued the mirrors to the body now and then masked around them for the semi-gloss black window surrounds and beltline rub strips.Ended up using my Dremel to grind down the putty so I could sand it smooth, I think next time I use that stuff, it's going to fill actual dips, like where the door handles were on one of the AMT  '59 Imperials I'm building as a mild custom.......

20190721_014020.thumb.jpg.34b49ec5c809753cc11ca6918428aaa7.jpg

I did get some 2 part glazing filler for this Shelby Z as well as the Charger convertable I'm also building from a local auto body jobber called RestoPaint. Told the owner Miguel what I was looking to do and the stuff he recommended mixed and went down nicely, I did leave it to cure until tomorrow before I start working on sanding the filler.IMG_20190723_235432_836.thumb.jpg.baf1a02dfc0a182b72d73b6d42bb6ea5.jpg

Haven't had the chance to sand the filler yet, but I did do a little exhaust work on it:D

IMG_20190728_175608_525.thumb.jpg.bc2c6e8332976184113c1464df91f4bd.jpg

The factory exhaust is above and a bit off unless that's a California specific system, where was MPC working out of when  they would have developed this kit for the '84 Model Year?  Below is the cat back portion......backpressure will not be a problem hereB)

IMG_20190728_062245_775.thumb.jpg.fabfb7b06af8e22a357340e8f613ba12.jpg

Next up, a little weight reduction was started Saturday night too.

IMG_20190728_062933_391.thumb.jpg.eb61ed79eb03efda2c51edae12b5c2d6.jpg

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Looking good Joe!  Keep moving forward!   

Will do, although I'm going to have to redo that exhaust I bent up, I tagged the president of the local Shelby Dodge Autombile Club on Instagram for some more help, this time on I.D.ing the odd kit exhaust arrangement and he's never seen that set up on any locally owned Turbo K-Cars he's been under either, and pointed out the cat is too far back as it should be in the part where the floor hump widens out right behind the firewall.........somehow I completely missed that, although he still has his '88 Shelby Z while my '85 Lebaron GTS and '88 Shadow ES are long gone......I can use that as an excuse, right?:lol:

Ha!  Part of modeling is doing things twice, sometimes three times until we get it right!  With my current '50 Ford project, I could've built two kits in the time I spent on redos!   Some folks look at our models and think we are magicians who never do anything wrong.  But it's really that we keep at it until we get it right! :D

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Ha!  Part of modeling is doing things twice, sometimes three times until we get it right!  With my current '50 Ford project, I could've built two kits in the time I spent on redos!   Some folks look at our models and think we are magicians who never do anything wrong.  But it's really that we keep at it until we get it right! :D

It was definately a forehead smacker when I realized it yesterday:rolleyes:

Luckily I have another whole rod to work with if needed!