Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aurora 1963 Creature From The Black Lagoon restore

I was asked many months ago by a friend to do something with a box of parts. He handed me a box with a glow in the dark [mostly] CFTBL Aurora kit. It was an original kit from a yard sale that he scored for 5.00.

It sat for quite a few months until last week when I got it in primer. Over the last week I brought it into the state you see here. It was a blast to do and wouldn't hesitate to recommend something like this to any competent model builder.

It's the usual acrylic paints with washes and dry brushing. Looked at a few photos on the old interweb. He should be pleased. I sure hope he is.

20190707_040849.jpg

20190707_040856.jpg

20190707_040909.jpg

20190707_040926.jpg

20190707_040940.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks. Do you guys see the two indented strips down the back of his legs? Were there supposed to be more gill like frills running down the back there? It seems like there should be but they were not in the pile-o-parts I got.

Curious.

Here's the reissue I built about 10 years ago.  It's the only non car model I have built.  Yours looks great and would be more what an actual creature might look like.  I was going more for the guy in a rubber suit look.  It's interesting the suit was green but since the movies were black and white I do not think they worried much about how authentic it looked.  Everyone one of these I see has different shades of green which is great to see.

IMG_4932.JPG

IMG_4933.JPG

IMG_4935.PNG

Thanks Joe. Great looking build Rex. So there are frills going down the legs. And a plant with a snake and a tongue for the lizard. Geez, I guess the box was not as full as it should have been.

Oh well, that's all he gave me to work with.

14 hours ago, Dragline said:

Thanks. Do you guys see the two indented strips down the back of his legs? Were there supposed to be more gill like frills running down the back there? It seems like there should be but they were not in the pile-o-parts I got.

Curious.

Very nice!  They’re a lot of fun. I recommend doing them all...at least the Frank, Drac and Mummy.  Really fun builds. 

On 7/7/2019 at 1:34 PM, vamach1 said:

Here's the reissue I built about 10 years ago.  It's the only non car model I have built.  Yours looks great and would be more what an actual creature might look like.  I was going more for the guy in a rubber suit look.  It's interesting the suit was green but since the movies were black and white I do not think they worried much about how authentic it looked.  Everyone one of these I see has different shades of green which is great to see.

IMG_4932.JPG

IMG_4933.JPG

IMG_4935.PNG

I built one of those when I was a kid. Wish I still had it. Also built the "Land of the Giants" rattlesnake. Wish I still had that one too!

s-l300.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 7/13/2019 at 2:51 PM, bisc63 said:

That LOTG kit has just been re-issued, along with others from that series. The CultTVman shop is the place to get 'em.

I just got the LOTG kit today from Free Time Hobbies. About $28 with shipping. I'll post it on this forum when completed.

LOTG 1.jpg

LOTG 2.jpg

LOTG 3.jpg

• 3 years later...

I'm finally ready to start bulding this LOTG rattesnake kit. I mostly build model cars so this is a very different "finish" than what I'm used to. What type of paints would those that have built this type of thing recommend? Vallejo acrylics???   Ooops, I should have posted this in the model building questions and answers forum!

88954480_LOTG1.thumb.jpg.31787b98e99360c9c86ce3865a3ce05e.jpg.673466f81754394a6c0ad5bb022b6758.jpg

Edited by Safire6
wrong forum

8 hours ago, Safire6 said:

I'm finally ready to start bulding this LOTG rattesnake kit. I mostly build model cars so this is a very different "finish" than what I'm used to. What type of paints would those that have built this type of thing recommend? Vallejo acrylics???   Ooops, I should have posted this in the model building questions and answers forum!

88954480_LOTG1.thumb.jpg.31787b98e99360c9c86ce3865a3ce05e.jpg.673466f81754394a6c0ad5bb022b6758.jpg

I haven't built this particular kit but I have built other Auroras and figure kits using both Vallejo and Tamiya - sometimes both on the same model.

If you've never used Vallejo before, I STRONGLY recommend that you go to YouTube and watch as many "How to use Vallejo paints" videos as you can - same goes for Tamiya.

Vallejo paints are broken down into "Air" and "Color" lines.  "Air" is for airbrush use and "Color" is for brushing.  You'll likely be doing both on the "Snake Scene" as it's more commonly known.

I'm a big believer in using proprietary products.  In other words, thin Vallejo paints with Vallejo thinners and Tamiya paints with Tamiya thinner.  

You can paint over Tamiya primer with Vallejo paints but I would not do the reverse.  Vallejo is a water based paint while Tamiya is not.  

Have at it and keep us posted!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2019 at 8:00 PM, Safire6 said:

I just got the LOTG kit today from Free Time Hobbies. About $28 with shipping. I'll post it on this forum when completed.

LOTG 1.jpg

LOTG 2.jpg

LOTG 3.jpg

Wow… talk about a blast from the past. I did that kit in my youth years. I was a huge fan of those snap Prehistoric Dinosaur series. I had almost all of them except one or two. I still have the Saber-tooth Tiger snap kit from my youth years minus the base. The best part… still unpainted.

On 7/7/2019 at 4:20 AM, Dragline said:

I was asked many months ago by a friend to do something with a box of parts. He handed me a box with a glow in the dark [mostly] CFTBL Aurora kit. It was an original kit from a yard sale that he scored for 5.00.

It sat for quite a few months until last week when I got it in primer. Over the last week I brought it into the state you see here. It was a blast to do and wouldn't hesitate to recommend something like this to any competent model builder.

It's the usual acrylic paints with washes and dry brushing. Looked at a few photos on the old interweb. He should be pleased. I sure hope he is.

20190707_040849.jpg

20190707_040856.jpg

20190707_040909.jpg

20190707_040926.jpg

20190707_040940.jpg

Looks great. I had about half of the Monsters series in my youth years. My brother-in-law had a few rereleased kits built last year.

• Like 1