Model Cars Magazine Forum

Street/Strip 1970 Olds 442 W30

Fish_65

This was built as a companion to my '69 Nova. I refer to them as the Lemon & the Lime and display them next to each other on my shelf.

Here's the Nova http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/143520-1969-nova-the-kiwi/?tab=comments#comment-2104343

I started this project with a Johan 1970 442. As with the Nova, I wanted to build something with a Hot Rod Drag Week/Street Outlaws kind of vibe.

I used a AMT '69 442 chassis which was basically a drop in swap. I think I robbed the BBC from the AMT '68 El Camino (or could be the AMT '70 Monte Carlo ??) as this had to have an automatic trans. I added some go fast goodies for the engine from the parts box and a MAD distributor. I used the stock interior tub, but added a scratchbuilt roll cage and a driver. Tires and wheels came from the parts box, decals are Fred Caddy W30 and paint is Testors One-Coat Inca Gold with One-Coat clear. The worst part of the build was creating the outlaw style cowl hood. I cut the cowl scoop from a resin hood I had and grafted it to the kit hood. Sounds pretty easy, but the 442 hood has huge low spot between the raised "fake scoops". It took a lot of filling, filing and sanding to fill it in and to get it to look right. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Thanks for looking, comments are welcome.

IMG_6416 (2).JPG

IMG_6417 (2).JPG

IMG_6418 (2).JPG

IMG_6420.JPG

IMG_6421 (2).JPG

IMG_6423.JPG

IMG_6424.JPG

Edited by Fish_65

• 2 months later...