Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need an easy way to correct AMT's '65 Galaxie headlight bezels

Here's a pic of a 1:1 '65 Galaxie

n6.jpg.9cdb1b3119303a24f4e1ba09ea7bbd54.jpg

Focus on how the headlights fit in the bezels, as the AMT kit's bezels have a raised ring, approximately a scale 1/2 inch high, which the headlights sit on, resulting in a much different appearance

N7.thumb.jpeg.99872726d980d0fe70ee64893318977a.jpeg

(no offense to the builder).  

I'm thinking there's got to be an easy way to do a circular grind that eliminates the rings and leaves a recess that I can Molotow and drop the headlights into (no need to drill all the way through).  Suggestions?

Edited by Monty

Easiest, safest way is to drill a smaller hole all the way through and use your X-acto knife and round needle files to trim and file the hole the rest of the way to the outside edge of the raised ring. Maybe a cone shaped cutter in your Dremmel if you're brave. ;) Then put in new lenses and reflectors.

I've tried grinding them out with a small ball cutter in my Dremmel but almost always slip and make a gouge somewhere I don't want one.

6 hours ago, Brutalform said:

I’d try a bunch of different clear lenses first before I perform any drilling. It might do the trick. 

That's not the problem. He wants to remove the protruding bezels, as the real car doesn't have 'em. 

It looks similar to the problem on the '65 GTO reissues, except those are much worse and not easily fixed. 

16 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I'd use a drill bit the size of the headlight or maybe one size larger, and carefully trim the ring down BY HAND, just using the bit as a hand-held reamer. 

This sounds like your best bet. I would poke a pilot mark with a sharp scribe dead center of each light, then use a 1/16" or 3/32" bit to drill a pilot hole part way or all the way through. Then follow up with the final size by hand to the depth required.

Edited by NOBLNG

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

That's not the problem. He wants to remove the protruding bezels, as the real car doesn't have 'em. 

It looks similar to the problem on the '65 GTO reissues, except those are much worse and not easily fixed. 

Ahhh ok I get ya. I see what what the problem is. I pulled out mine, and it looks odd as compared to the real car. 

I’ll most likely leave it the way it is though. 

DC4099A8-06BD-4002-ADAC-780E0A1CCE2A.jpeg

Edited by Brutalform

I drill mine out with a various reamer bits in my Dremel tool all of the time.

You will want a variable speed Dremel set on a lower speed. (I use 10)

I start by drilling out the center of the head light with a pin vice and then a small slender cone shaped reamer to gradually make the hole larger.

Yes, you do have to be careful, and a lighted magnifier is a must!

When I get down to where I'm very close to the trim ring, I finish with a round file and cylindrical sanding sticks.

I have gotten to the point where I do this with every model with the headlight lenses molded in.

Steve

image.thumb.jpeg.20570be68acbe9a85ebad6bd0ec0cc1e.jpeg