Model Cars Magazine Forum

ERTL

ranma

I'm 55 and many of the re-issued kits are new to me too even if they are old tooling, some I have only seen but never had and some I didn't even know about.
But with new I mean a new kit made by todays standards and detail level, not kits that were developed in the 60's and 70's with a detail level that was adequate for the time they were originally made...the kit making and detail levels of modern kits has gone forward a lot since then.

Well let's move on.

Edited by Force

On 7/8/2019 at 3:51 PM, hpiguy said:

On the Autocar reissue I just built you can see where they scraped ERTL off the trees.

Makes sense since it's not the same company anymore.

Congrats on the growth of your channel BTW. As I was watching one of your videos the other day, I was wondering how you managed to get so many done, but I assume you were retired.

I also assumed that that since you are building them as demos, you must be leaving some steps out that I cannot seem to let go on the older AMT kits.  I spend hours and hours of time on seam removal, injector mark repairs, part alignment/fit etc. However, just to have some of these older make and model options, it is worth the effort, and in the end they look really good when completed.

While I was not building in model infancy, I have been building since the mid 70s, and so many of the reissues, STILL appeal to me as I either missed them, or have more interest in them now. I do not buy models just to have a stash either. I buy what I can either actually see myself building, OR, something that I can part out, such as the Polyglass Pontiac recently at HL. I already had that Pontiac kit from previous isues, but did not realize it had all the extra wheels/tires until your video, so I went out and bought up 5 more I think when they hit clearance.

11 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Congrats on the growth of your channel BTW. As I was watching one of your videos the other day, I was wondering how you managed to get so many done, but I assume you were retired.

I also assumed that that since you are building them as demos, you must be leaving some steps out that I cannot seem to let go on the older AMT kits.  I spend hours and hours of time on seam removal, injector mark repairs, part alignment/fit etc. However, just to have some of these older make and model options, it is worth the effort, and in the end they look really good when completed.

While I was not building in model infancy, I have been building since the mid 70s, and so many of the reissues, STILL appeal to me as I either missed them, or have more interest in them now. I do not buy models just to have a stash either. I buy what I can either actually see myself building, OR, something that I can part out, such as the Polyglass Pontiac recently at HL. I already had that Pontiac kit from previous isues, but did not realize it had all the extra wheels/tires until your video, so I went out and bought up 5 more I think when they hit clearance.

I wish I was retired! Thanks for the nice words. :) 

It's very true, I don't sweat the small stuff on my models. I like old school fun model making, and for me, fun means getting it built and painted so that it's a reasonable facsimile of the real thing. Perfection isn't my goal and I make that pretty clear, as you've seen and heard watching the videos. 

I'll handle some seams or mold marks at times but I don't let it mire me down. A lot I don't see as an issue and don't even bother. Flash I'll take off 99% of the time, but there will be times I miss that too or didn't see it or thought it was part of the part to begin with. When I notice it, I think, oh well, this isn't a contest model and it's not a real Cuda selling for $400,000.

When I'm done with a Buick Regal or Chevelle kit, anyone I know will look at it and say, yup that's a Buick Regal, that's a Chevelle, etc. 

I try to get more people into the fun side of the hobby, buying and building kits, any kits, of any genre, and just enjoying themselves. Especially kids, who feel overwhelmed when they see the posts about 'This kit sucks' or 'You HAVE to have an airbrush if you want to make nice models'. It makes them not even want to take the kit home.

For those that demand scale perfection, cool. More power to them. I don't cut them down but I'll make remarks that if perfection is your thing and little issues send you into a rage (you should see the comments I delete, some grown men really go overboard with the F bombs about a small issue on a model or misspoken word about a part) , my channel isn't for you. 

But for me and most of my viewers, my style suits us best. I get a lot of calls from some sponsors that they love that style too and they hear from people that I'm the reason they got back into making kits after being burnt out on the perfection and 'you must be an expert on that subject and models to make a model' type attitudes. 

Thanks again and I hope to keep making kits as long as my finger work!

3 hours ago, hpiguy said:

It's very true, I don't sweat the small stuff on my models. I like old school fun model making, and for me, fun means getting it built and painted so that it's a reasonable facsimile of the real thing. Perfection isn't my goal and I make that pretty clear, as you've seen and heard watching the videos. 

I'll handle some seams or mold marks at times but I don't let it mire me down. A lot I don't see as an issue and don't even bother. Flash I'll take off 99% of the time, but there will be times I miss that too or didn't see it or thought it was part of the part to begin with. When I notice it, I think, oh well, this isn't a contest model and it's not a real Cuda selling for $400,000.

When I'm done with a Buick Regal or Chevelle kit, anyone I know will look at it and say, yup that's a Buick Regal, that's a Chevelle, etc. 

I try to get more people into the fun side of the hobby, buying and building kits, any kits, of any genre, and just enjoying themselves. Especially kids, who feel overwhelmed when they see the posts about 'This kit sucks' or 'You HAVE to have an airbrush if you want to make nice models'. It makes them not even want to take the kit home.

For those that demand scale perfection, cool. More power to them. I don't cut them down but I'll make remarks that if perfection is your thing and little issues send you into a rage (you should see the comments I delete, some grown men really go overboard with the F bombs about a small issue on a model or misspoken word about a part) , my channel isn't for you. 

But for me and most of my viewers, my style suits us best. I get a lot of calls from some sponsors that they love that style too and they hear from people that I'm the reason they got back into making kits after being burnt out on the perfection and 'you must be an expert on that subject and models to make a model' type attitudes. 

I completely respect this attitude, and agree that your process certainly could let others see themselves building which is a great thing. Plus, for those of us that want to see, or recall, what is in the box, that is great as well. There are times I get frustrated with myself in the getting mired down part of things.

As for the high end Cuda cost, growing up my father owned the body shop in the back of a Chrysler dealership. My older brother had both a Cuda, and a Charger in the 70s  that my father had really decked out for him, and he...totaled them both.

On 7/14/2019 at 9:08 AM, hpiguy said:

Gotta love that attitude, sir. I watch just about every video you and Right on Replicas put out. Are they all full detail, museum quality, six years in the making masterpieces? Not really, but they still look great when done, give a few good tips to new builders and seasoned vets alike, and also give you a honest, detailed explanation of exactly what you're getting. Sometimes I saved a few bucks after realizing what was ON the box didn't accurately portray what was IN the box. More often, I ended up getting three of a kit I wouldn't have been interested in otherwise. You'd fit in great in our club down here in PA. Our unofficial motto has become "quit whining and build the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH kit" lol