Model Cars Magazine Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pete L.

1970 AMT TORINO parts

Fellas,

Looking for grille/bumper and rear bumpers as well as glass...

Thank you

Pete,

I don't know if you were aware that there are actually two different versions of the front bumper/grill piece for that vintage 1970 AMT Torino 1/25 kit.  One version, (which I believe is what came inside the kit's original-factory-stock release from the AMT production facility), has open/exposed factory-stock headlamps on it.  The second version, (which I think came from a revised-later, funny car reissue of this kit), has the more-glamorous Torino GT's closed headlight doors option with a GT emblem in the grill-center that was also available on the 1:1 Torino GT's.  My facts here might not be 100% correct as I'm pulling this all from my memory.

Years and years ago, I wanted to restore one of these AMT '70 Torino kits, but it had no hood or front bumper/grill piece.  Solution; Modelhaus resin parts.  I think I got the resin pieces shown below from the Modelhaus in 1992 or 1993.  As it turns out, that 1970 AMT Torino restoration project of mine died-on-the-vine, and will never be completed from my own workbench.  So, I put these resin pieces in a safe place deep inside my parts box, and they haven't seen the light-of-day for probably 8 or 10 years now.  They are still inside their Modelhaus parts bags, and are in perfect/unused-condition.

I don't know if this is the front bumper/grill style that you are seeking, and I don't know if you would have any use for that GT hood, but PM me if you might be interested in either one and/or both.

70TorinoParts.jpg

Those Modelhaus parts are cast from unique masters created by, or for, Modelhaus.  AMT never put those parts in any of the three Torino fastback kits they did.

Their '70 and '71 annual kits both had the exposed headlamp grille.  The '71 had a small snake insignia on the center trim piece, the '70 did not.  The El Toro funny car kit had the same piece, with the grille and headlamp detail smoothed over to look like part of a fiberglass body.  The annual kits included two hoods, one with a hole for a shaker scoop and another, smooth hood molded in clear plastic with no hole.  The funny car had the no-hole hood molded in white.

Posted (edited)

Mark,

Thanks for this much-more-accurate information!  I never realized these Modelhaus resin pieces were from unique masters; I appreciate knowing this!  I'm also hoping Pete might be interested in using them!

Edited by '70 Grande

Out of curiosity, what, if anything, is different from these Modelhaus parts and the parts in the Revell/Mono 70 Torino?

Later-

Posted (edited)

Similar parts, but Modelhaus offered them long before the Pro Modeler Torino kit was issued.  The Modelhaus parts are designed around the AMT annual kits.  I believe they offered a convertible based on the AMT kits also.

Edited by Mark
Spelling

13 minutes ago, Mark said:

Similar parts, but Modelhaus offered them long before the Pro Modeler Torino kit was issued.  The Modelhaus parts are designed around the AMT annual kits.  I believe they offered a convertible based on the AMT kits also.

Thanks. Interesting info.

Later-

Pete, Do you have any interest in the resin parts I posted above?