Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT-1124 Supernatural Impala

Glad to see this one coming out. I have said it many times, that they hobby may have missed a lot of opportunities to tie in car culture with pop culture, especially TV and movies. this is a very entertaining show, just odd that this kit comes out as the long running show ends.

As others have said, this one will likely be cop car, fire, etc etc. Nice to see it actually coming to fruition.

13 hours ago, Dave Toups said:

The AMT annual apparently had full wheelcovers but they had "SS" centers. The only difference between these and the "standard" ones are the centers

arzl10-CQYOHEIKTl0JGF5CABUfQlNYEkNUD11fFBZUA0dYTxwfGB5GUF07OWV4PhdNCAAFVUdKDlRUBUZKDghSVEtDCQEHVEdIW-M3hdERMWDW54FBAlL1BAEi03BVVcDgYSBVBvVBZKWgRTUEQfWAFWAlwQHFY.jpg.4b33bd794792fe02a3821e6a1d0e21ee.jpg

3007HCFront.jpg.3b6e312a4175d7889674bed45ff83ad7.jpg

The wheelcover in the bottom photograph was included in the 67 SS427 annual kit. However The Modelhaus included a set of the wheelcovers in the top photograph in their 67 Impala Station Wagon Transkit. I kept a set of them for a future Impala Sport Coupe project. With this kit coming out, they will get put on my build. 

There are other wheel choices for the Replica Stock builders for this kit. The AMT 67 SS427 kit included a set of correct Rally Wheels. Maybe Round 2 will include a set in the kit. The Revell 65 SS Z16 included a set of Sport Wheelcovers, and the AMT 66 Oldsmobile 442 Convertible and the Lindberg Chevrolet SS409 Convertible included a set of wire wheel covers, but the spinner prongs should be removed and replaced with the appropriate center, as spinner caps were not offered after 1966 from GM on passenger cars. A lot of builders would like a set of steelies and Dog Dish caps. The 67 Full Sized Chevrolet had a specific design that was used for only that year. I have not seen them in plastic, resin, or 3D created. 

I hope this answers your questions.

This kit is going to be a welcome addition.

I would like to see a 4 Door post sedan based on this kit. It wouldn't take a whole lot of work to modify the roof, as the profiles are similar. 

The Model Car Garage's 67 SS427 Photoetch Set includes a set of correct Impala Scripts and emblems for the rear fenders, various engine designation emblems (Crossed Flags), as well as the open grille.

Model Car World and other vendors have 67 specific GM paint available, as the color palate was quite extensive for interiors and exteriors.

Depending on how soon the kit is actually offered, there will be several excellent examples on the contest and NNL tables.

This is a must have kit for me.  Not too many regular '60's 4 door cars made in 1/25th scale plastic.  However, the only thing I'm concerned about is the old (new tool) 2 door fastback kit.  Now that we have this kit, does that mean the 2 door fastback version can never be tooled up again?  If so, I guess I better stock up on a few before they get too expensive.

Edited by the other Mike S.

Good question Mike. Seems to me that may not be the case as they're using pretty much the same parts save for the interior and body. I would imagine the tooling was made up for those parts and the rest just "shared".

Of course, I'm no expert when it come to these things, so I can be totally out in left field!

1 hour ago, Ron Hamilton said:

The wheelcover in the bottom photograph was included in the 67 SS427 annual kit. However The Modelhaus included a set of the wheelcovers in the top photograph in their 67 Impala Station Wagon Transkit. I kept a set of them for a future Impala Sport Coupe project. With this kit coming out, they will get put on my build. 

There are other wheel choices for the Replica Stock builders for this kit. The AMT 67 SS427 kit included a set of correct Rally Wheels. Maybe Round 2 will include a set in the kit. The Revell 65 SS Z16 included a set of Sport Wheelcovers, and the AMT 66 Oldsmobile 442 Convertible and the Lindberg Chevrolet SS409 Convertible included a set of wire wheel covers, but the spinner prongs should be removed and replaced with the appropriate center, as spinner caps were not offered after 1966 from GM on passenger cars. A lot of builders would like a set of steelies and Dog Dish caps. The 67 Full Sized Chevrolet had a specific design that was used for only that year. I have not seen them in plastic, resin, or 3D created. 

I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks for the info about the wheels Ron! I have resin repops that were given to me............but I don't remember if they had the SS centers or not. I have no idea where the kit is now where they're located as I left most everything still in their boxes from the move, and more than likely will leave it that way since I don't have as much space in this house as the last place.

I'll get curious down the road as this kit gets closer to reality (hopefully with no snags) and dig the kit up with the wheel covers.

The Modelhaus would be my first choice for the stock wheel covers, but they're no longer in business except for a few small runs of tires that their son does.  I do have an old glue bomb built up of a original AMT '67 that I can use to cast resin copies for myself.  However, it's a shame Modelhaus is no longer in business since that would be the easiest best solution to get them.    

13 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Is the 427 / 4-speed carried-over from the Super Sport ? I'm not at all familiar with the  Supernatural car ; is it a Mark IV as well ? 327 / Powerglide ? 

A conversion-to-sedan to make a 427-powered  9C1 would be sweet !

Officially the Supernatural car is supposed to have a 327 w/automatic.  I used the one out of Revell's '64 Impala in mine, so if AMT skips this detail I know that one drops in with little headache.

impala-front2.jpg.d934aa114fe4e0beb5c7a15197b07040.jpg

One thing I notice they seemed to have skipped is the spotlights, which were dropped after the first few seasons.

1 hour ago, MrObsessive said:

Good question Mike. Seems to me that may not be the case as they're using pretty much the same parts save for the interior and body. I would imagine the tooling was made up for those parts and the rest just "shared".

Of course, I'm no expert when it come to these things, so I can be totally out in left field!

That's only if they tooled up a brand new 4 door body though.  I don't think they would do that IMHO.  If they based it on the 2 door fastback and just altered the back half to make the 4 door, then the 2 door fastback is forever lost.  I hope this is not the case.

I wasn't a complete fan of the new tool 2 door fastback when it came out because the rear fender body line looked kind of wacky.  The original AMT version was a lot better, but they're way too pricey now unless you happen find a bargain priced glue bomb.

It would be sad to know that the new tool 2 door fastback has been destroyed forever to make this 4 door body style.  Perhaps the original AMT '68 2 door fastback is somewhere lurking in their tooling archive ready to be reissued so that led to the decision.  If that's the case, it's still a shame since it was a new tool of the '67, but a reissue of the original '68 2 door fastback would make up for it IMO.   

15 minutes ago, the other Mike S. said:

I wasn't a complete fan of the new tool 2 door fastback when it came out because the rear fender body line looked kind of wacky.  The original AMT version was a lot better, but they're way too pricey now unless you happen find a bargain priced glue bomb.

I commented earlier that the rear fenders on the four door are MUCH BETTER than the ones on the two door. That was one of the issues that kept me from building it along with a not quite correct DLO on the roof. And yes, '67-'68 original AMT coupes and convertibles can be outta sight price wise on the 'Bay! I had an original built up no paint '68 convertible that I sold a few years back because I lost interest in it. I got a pretty penny for just the built up alone and now I someday would like to find another one. It would be terrific if AMT could somehow see fit to bring back the '68.

It seems somewhat feasible if that tooling is still around since an all new body would have had to be tooled for the '69. I'm not holding my breath though, but with the release of this new four door '67, I'm hoping we can keep on being surprised!

AMT didn't make a '68 Impala, hardtop or convertible.  MPC made those, as they had the promo contract that year.  

AMT made a "for 1968" "Chevrolet SS427" hardtop, basically a '67 Impala hardtop minus stock bumpers, exterior trim, and rear window opening.

I'm not familiar with the Supernatural franchise but I see a lot of possibilities for this body style. I think we'll be seeing a lot of Vinyl Roofs. Wheel covers have been mentioned by many. The '67 Chevrolet was the first year that power Disc Brakes were offered on the full size car. This required wheels off 15 inches in diameter instead of the standard 14 inch wheel. The Rally Wheel option also appeared at this time. I personally wouldn't normally get excited over a four door anything, Chargers excepted, but I have always liked the look of the Chevrolet line of that era so I'm sure I'll buy a couple just because. I have to agree with those that fear the loss of the '67 Impala SS body. In many ways this opens a host of build possibilities.    

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

Bill couldn't the 70 be backdated to 69 specs?

If they did that, we'd lose the '70.  At this point, I'd hate to lose any kits of this vintage.  The front fenders above the headlights are significantly different compared to the '69.  It's not just a new front bumper that was changed.  The backend was pretty simple though.  A new rear bumper was the only major difference, I believe.  

43 minutes ago, Mark said:

AMT didn't make a '68 Impala, hardtop or convertible.  MPC made those, as they had the promo contract that year.  

AMT made a "for 1968" "Chevrolet SS427" hardtop, basically a '67 Impala hardtop minus stock bumpers, exterior trim, and rear window opening.

Aaaah Ok! I don't know why I have AMT on the mind. Guess it's because I have a couple of the new tool '67's and how much work that needs to make it right. ;)

6 minutes ago, the other Mike S. said:

If they did that, we'd lose the '70.  At this point, I'd hate to lose any kits of this vintage.  The front fenders above the headlights are significantly different compared to the '69.  It's not just a new front bumper that was changed.  The backend was pretty simple though.  A new rear bumper was the only major difference, I believe.  

Yes, a LOT more work for a conversion! As you mentioned not much sharing between the two model years ahead of the front wheel wells. Interiors are a bit different too as far as seat/door panel patterns.

1 hour ago, MrObsessive said:

I commented earlier that the rear fenders on the four door are MUCH BETTER than the ones on the two door. That was one of the issues that kept me from building it along with a not quite correct DLO on the roof. And yes, '67-'68 original AMT coupes and convertibles can be outta sight price wise on the 'Bay! I had an original built up no paint '68 convertible that I sold a few years back because I lost interest in it. I got a pretty penny for just the built up alone and now I someday would like to find another one. It would be terrific if AMT could somehow see fit to bring back the '68.

It seems somewhat feasible if that tooling is still around since an all new body would have had to be tooled for the '69. I'm not holding my breath though, but with the release of this new four door '67, I'm hoping we can keep on being surprised!

I just started restoration of a "very distressed" '67 promo. Last night I compared the body to the "new" kit's body and was surprised how close they are. I've been assuming that the old one had a much better shape. Well, it's a little better, but I wouldn't say "much" better. 

15 hours ago, alexis said:

I've been told that the pillarless hard top 4 doors, were not used as Police Cars, but I will build mine that way anyhow.  It will look good, I think.

FWIW in addition to not using pillarless hard tops, 98% of Chevy police cars would have also been Biscayne trim level, not an Impala.  But at least now there will be a much closer base to start that conversion from, rather than stretching a coupe, or using a resin body.

3 hours ago, Classicgas said:

I'm pretty sure it's a new tool body and interior insert into the mold. I won't be building a supernatural version so don't care what engine is in it. A 6 with poverty caps would suit me fine lol.

I can't remember for sure without digging one of them out in the stash because I have both the street machine and stock versions when AMT did the "you want options, you buy separate kits" deal back in the 90s, but I'm pretty sure the sides of the interior are separate pieces from the interior tub. If this is the case, AMT shouldn't have had to tool and entirely new 4 door interior tub, just the 4 door side panels unless the back seat portion of the 2 door tub wasn't part of the 2 door side inserts.