Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT-1124 Supernatural Impala

4 hours ago, Dave Van said:

I realize the differences....but 99% of public will not....so I bet we see decals and gumballs added as is. 

Except that Light Commerical builders are like race car guys, you shovel them the wrong stuff and they're not going to buy it and will scream from high heaven about it. Round2 gets credit for actually listening and tooling up some period correct and accurate parts for the CHP Monaco reissue. To try to pass off an Impala as a Biscayne would be a flop.

6 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

...and new hood, rear window, front and rear bumpers/grille, wheels...

Wheels I'll consider as being something "separate", but hood, windows, and other correct trim pieces fall under auspices of "new body" because not doing them would make the new body moot, they could have just released a 2dr and went VIOLA! The Supernatural Impala folks!

On 12/27/2019 at 7:19 AM, GMP440 said:

It will be interesting to see how well the kit sells.  Interesting how Round 2 does a completely new tool for something that may or may not sell versus retooling a well requested oldie we haven't seen in years.

Never the less,  I'll be in for one of the 4 door Impala kits.

Amen to that!

Now it's time for us to "put up or shut up"

Round 2 is taking a gamble that there is enough of us builders out there to go and invest the kind of money it takes to tool up an oddball car like this. They're hoping that we will spend our money to make it worthwhile.

If we want to encourage them to do more unusual subjects like this - WE MUST BUY AT LEAST ONE OF THESE!!!

If it fails, they may never listen to our pipe dreams again!

I don't buy a lot of new models, but I have ideas for a subject like this. I'll probably get 2 or 3. I like what they're doing that much!

3 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Amen to that!

Now it's time for us to "put up or shut up"

Round 2 is taking a gamble that there is enough of us builders out there to go and invest the kind of money it takes to tool up an oddball car like this. They're hoping that we will spend our money to make it worthwhile.

If we want to encourage them to do more unusual subjects like this - WE MUST BUY AT LEAST ONE OF THESE!!!

If it fails, they may never listen to our pipe dreams again!

I don't buy a lot of new models, but I have ideas for a subject like this. I'll probably get 2 or 3. I like what they're doing that much!

According to various sources this kit is aimed towards sci-fi builders/collectors/hoarders, and not really a gamble as that's where the money is.

So while not aimed at us, I'm sure like me, a couple of other automotive kit enthusiasts will pick it up, as for pipe dreams for automotive builders/collectors....well dogs like the newly released  '69 Yenko Camaro kinda makes me fear, that the cat litter guy thinks of us more in terms of "there's a sucker born every minute" than a group with buying power.

So while pessimistic, maybe 2020 will prove me wrong....

Edited by Luc Janssens

I'm definitely going to grab one of these! Not sure when I'd build it, but the subject matter alone has piqued my interest! In fact, I'd probably build this over the two door hardtop or convertible conversion.

I sure hope they can see fit to do other subject matter like this in the future!

I think the Supernatural Impala is a good choice for Round2. Much of the tooling exists, just need the body and interior mainly. 

Hopefully it does well and they will continue this type of trend.

Tell me, don't you think some re-tooled kits would do well? the 66 Mustang with a fresh chassis and interior, then maybe a fastback? How about their 63 and 64 Impalas with a nice chassis? 1951 Mercury based off the 49? Just thoughts of "New" kits by adding different things to existing kits. 

Just a thought

32 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

If I can turn one into a two door Biscayne or Bel Air fairly easily, I may get one then. Like David, I'm going to wait until I see a few of them built before I buy one. 

I think MCW offers a resin body for the Bel Air and Biscayne .  

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

If I can turn one into a two door Biscayne or Bel Air fairly easily, I may get one then. Like David, I'm going to wait until I see a few of them built before I buy one. 

The roofline's different between the 4-door hardtop and the 2/4 door sedans, but I'm gonna do it anyway. B)

2 hours ago, espo said:

I think MCW offers a resin body for the Bel Air and Biscayne .  

They do, but to my eye, the top looks more like a '65-'66 2DS top than a '67-'68. :unsure:

• 5 weeks later...

[voice of Forged in Fire's Doug Marcaia] Okay, let's talk about your Impala model here. [/voice]

Top to bottom: Two different screenshots of the AMT Impala; the Real Deal; Green Light 1/24 diecast. 

One detail: Looks like maybe they've altered the front fender tip "slots" from 4 (standard) to 3 (optional light package, as seen on the TV car). Or am I seeing things? 

Discuss. 

67ImpalaAMTCropped.jpg.9fee4ee32ca549b97e7127952e5a527e.jpg

67ImpalaAMTCropped2.jpg.64b9bf6c5a52e578d9de0f51a95f8dea.jpg

Chevrolet-Impala-5.7-1971-2.jpg.fcd9fb04a43f9733b159a0bce3f38429.jpg

67ImpalaDC006.jpg.8d00c114253576316db7bf45d4b9455f.jpg

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

One detail: Looks like maybe they've altered the front fender tip "slots" from 4 (standard) to 3 (optional light package, as seen on the TV car). Or am I seeing things? 

Discuss. 

You are correct; they are modified as on the 1:1 

A close-up pic.  NOTE....the hood sits a little high on the test shot; I believe that is being addressed before things are finalized. 

zzzDSCN9970.JPG

On 12/27/2019 at 5:21 PM, Dave Van said:

I realize the differences....but 99% of public will not....so I bet we see decals and gumballs added as is. 

On 12/27/2019 at 10:19 PM, niteowl7710 said:

Except that Light Commerical builders are like race car guys, you shovel them the wrong stuff and they're not going to buy it and will scream from high heaven about it. Round2 gets credit for actually listening and tooling up some period correct and accurate parts for the CHP Monaco reissue. To try to pass off an Impala as a Biscayne would be a flop.

Yes, this is 100% correct and so much so that all the previous issues of the Monaco I have in my stash I'm seriously thinking of only taking what I need from them such as the decals and other light bar in the case of my TJ Hooker and DOH cars and dumping the rest for the new releases. The new parts in the newest reissue is the best thing Round 2 ever did to that kit because at least now it has a proper looking pushbar and proper looking wheels and tires. 

I know another just to back up what James said, I know I had read complaints about Moebius not having the back of the boxes finished on the bed for the service truck. It might be OK for most of you, but for us that build light commercial and have worked around and used those trucks and know how those are supposed to look, that is a big error that was overlooked and ignored because many had brought it up in the test shot phases while it could have been corrected. 

Edited by highway

10 hours ago, Goose1957 said:

Thanks for the great side shots. I'm glad the wheels look better than the goofy ones on the diecast. Can't wait for this one to hit the shelves. I'll buy two or three. Just wish the trunk opened up. It's such an important part of the show.

Jeff 

They mentioned something about a decal for the inside of the lid. Scribing it open and hinging it is fairly easy. No matter for me, mine will be bone factory stock.