Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT-1124 Supernatural Impala

18 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I don't think there are any precise dates for any Round 2 releases for Spring/Summer yet. 

And given the current world situation, I wouldn't expect any. We'll be lucky to see this thing at all this year. :unsure:

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Rbray47 said:

Anyone know what engine is in the kit?

On the show, it's stated that it's a 327. But, I remember one episode where the hood was up. It was clearly a big block. 

My understanding is the kit has the same 427 big block as the 2dr ht kit.  Can pass as a 396.

Edited by Rob Hall

1 minute ago, Rob Hall said:

The kit has a big block, I assume the same 427 as the 2dr ht kit.  Can pass as a 396.

Thanks. I didnt know how much AMT changed the tooling. 

I have the SS427 on my bench right now. The engine doesn't have any chrome. The TV car had chrome valve covers and air cleaner. Not that it matters a whole lot. I'll be building it for my wife and she wont notice. 

34 minutes ago, Rbray47 said:

I have the SS427 on my bench right now. The engine doesn't have any chrome. The TV car had chrome valve covers and air cleaner. Not that it matters a whole lot. I'll be building it for my wife and she wont notice. 

It should look cool on the shelf next to the two original '67 promos I restored/rescued earlier this year. B)

67ImpalaPromoBlue09.jpg.8763fdd66d0cdac790ac2a4a69744f30.jpg

2 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

It should look cool on the shelf next to the two original '67 promos I restored/rescued earlier this year. B)

67ImpalaPromoBlue09.jpg.8763fdd66d0cdac790ac2a4a69744f30.jpg

Nice..the wheel covers on the white one would look good on the 4dr ht.  I plan to use a set of the 5 spoke wheel covers (like in the Lindberg '66 Chevelle kit) on one of mine w/ whitewalls.   I have restorable AMT '67 Impala ht and convertible annuals in my stash along w/ several versions of the modern tool ht.

44 minutes ago, Rbray47 said:

With a molotow pen you can chrome it in under a minute.

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

And the unloading begins!  There have been a lot of MPC pro stock Vega "projects" floating around lately, and no doubt you'll see a bunch of AMT '64 Cutlasses in the coming months.

There's a guy (not a vendor) who has been going from table to table at local toy shows the last couple of years trying to trade a resin 1966 Batmobile kit.  Like he's going to find someone who doesn't know about the kit and diecasts that have hit the market...

I FINALLY got my copy of the mag in mail (only a week after a guy in freakin' BELGIUM got his! :angry:) Just gave the Impala build review a quick read. 

The body looks good. Hard to declare the roof/window line "perfect" or "right" from the pics shown (it might well be, I just can't tell), but it's hella better than the Greenlight diecast. 

And the reviewer didn't note it, but it looks like AMT altered the grille from the standard four black slots in the fender tips to the optional three lighted slots, which are correct for this particular car. That was a nice touch on Round 2's part, and much appreciated. 

My impression so far is very favorable. I'll be buying at least two--one to do in dark green as a "close enough" tribute to my parents' '68, and one to convert into a 2-door of some kind. If it doesn't look enough like a 2D Biscayne/Bel Air, I'll just call it a "phantom" formal-roof 2-door Impala hardtop. B)

Gotta have it! :lol:

47 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I FINALLY got my copy of the mag in mail (only a week after a guy in freakin' BELGIUM got his! :angry:) Just gave the Impala build review a quick read. 

The body looks good. Hard to declare the roof/window line "perfect" or "right" from the pics shown (it might well be, I just can't tell), but it's hella better than the Greenlight diecast. 

And the reviewer didn't note it, but it looks like AMT altered the grille from the standard four black slots in the fender tips to the optional three lighted slots, which are correct for this particular car. That was a nice touch on Round 2's part, and much appreciated. 

My impression so far is very favorable. I'll be buying at least two--one to do in dark green as a "close enough" tribute to my parents' '68, and one to convert into a 2-door of some kind. If it doesn't look enough like a 2D Biscayne/Bel Air, I'll just call it a "phantom" formal-roof 2-door Impala hardtop. B)

Gotta have it! :lol:

Being "that Belgian guy" you make me feel kinda special :D

Guess we're lucky that they had budget to retool for an non SS grille ;)

Got to have it, yep you got that right, not that many American vehicles with two doors too many on the model kit market, Ha!

Cheers!

Luc

On 5/16/2020 at 3:21 PM, Bucky said:

I just took a gamble and pre-ordered two of these. The site said they should be in sometime in early June. I don't think I'll hold my breath, tho! LoL

They're on the distribution list for June. Wouldn't be surprised if they don't beat the 1st of the month since the two May kits were in distribution early enough a few places got them the last couple of days of April - which means there are now "no" kits for this month.

On 2/1/2020 at 3:02 PM, pack rat said:

A close-up pic. 

zzzDSCN9970.JPG

I was going to ask if the bumpers guards are present, but clearly, they are.

Comparison of the '67 chrome plated parts:

IMG_20200518_131004_2.thumb.jpg.f30ed4cffae060be30207e7430718b9f.jpg

So, new grille and nameplate, new parking light housings, and new/additional bumper guards. Assuming new rim panel and bumper guards on the rear bumper, too.

Pretty much anything on that tree isn't needed for the 4dr. Console, hood insert, SS badged f/r bumpers. Rear seat insert, wipers and rvm, maybe hood trim, though diff hood (same trim I guess). 

Should be reasonable to swap back and forth.