Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT-1124 Supernatural Impala

May be the light or camera angel but the area just above the rear wheel well by the bottom of the rear door and above the front  the front wheel well by the moulding  and the amount of flash,mine came out of the box just as you see it 

11 minutes ago, Bucky said:

I don't see any difference, myself.

20200610_105208_LI.thumb.jpg.52a27e549c9990831be4b5b5617e04c1.jpg

Edited by Spruslayer

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Perhaps it's just me , but that "flash" looks like black electrical tape ---- like Jesse is using it to tape the body to the green cutting board in order to stage it for photos .

Conversely , it does appear that there may be some along the underside of the rain gutters (?)

Nope, it's all flash! No tape used whatsoever. All pics are just as it came out the box! 

This is not a perfect kit and for something that will be mostly collected and not really built, it is ok. LIke i said, it is very 80's MPC'ish

Edited by Daddyfink

12 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Wonder who the first caster to offer a correct Sport Sedan front seat will be? Looks like Round2 faithfully replicated the Tijuana tuck and roll in the real Supernatural car(s).

One can only hope ...... shouldn’t be too hard to adapt the panels from the rear to the front though.... 

6 hours ago, Dale Gribble said:

I guess . I see it as a huge shortcoming. Why can’t it represent an actual 1:1 seat though?? 

I totally understand your point, but at the same time it's a bit like buying a KITT Firebird and then complaining it doesn't come with a stock dashboard and steering wheel.

Edited by niteowl7710

1 hour ago, Daddyfink said:

Nope, it's all flash! No tape used whatsoever. All pics are just as it came out the box! 

This is not a perfect kit and for something that will be mostly collected and not really built, it is ok. LIke i said, it is very 80's MPC'ish

WHOA ! 1980's MPC , indeed ( haha ! ) . That its self isn't too bad as long as the odour of the plastic is fond-memories-evoking ( I'm inside Skaggs Alpha-Beta on Saturday morning , perusing the toy aisle for the latest MPC offerings... ) .

Personally , that flash isn't a deterrent . I'll still buy one or five anyhow !

8 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

I totally understand your point, but at the same time it's a bit like buying a KITT Firebird and then complaining it doesn't come with a stock dashboard and steering wheel.

Yup, not every kit will have multiple build options or the parts that you may want, hence the ever growing aftermarket. The problem seems to go both ways, the factory stock guys will complain about one aspect, and the show-car replica guys will complain about another. Dale can complain that the seat isn't correct for a non-TV car, another can complain that the transmission is a manual and the show car is an automatic. I'm complaining that they decided to go with the older bias-ply style tires rather than the correct modern radial tires on the TV car (Revell did the same with the 80's Cutlass kits.) The model companies can't win, and have to do the best they can to appeal to the largest amount of buyers.

15 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Meh, that’s a huge difference imo . Never seen the show , so I don’t know how much the front seat plays into the storyline . The KITT car it was a huge part of the transformation . 

just ordered two of the 67’s . Figure I can use a rear seat to make a correct front , then cast it up . I see a market for it ... 

I appreciate everyone sharing their pictures of the new "Baby". Since I haven't gotten one yet it is hard to give a true impression of any part of this new kit. A couple of observations based only on what I can see in the pictures. A little flash on the first run of kits I think has already been explained well. The colored plastic issue has always been that, an issue when they use colored plastic. I think most builders here would be painting their builds anyway. The seat design, looks mostly like the car used in the series based again on the photo. This is not a stock Impala seat material pattern but it does match the car in the series. Spruslayer's photo shows the section of the roof that many have pointed out as being different from the 1:1 car. Also mentioned with pointers in his photo toward the wheel openings and mentioning the presents of flash. This may well be, but it looks as if they have included the wheel opening moldings in that area. I guess I'm sort of a glass half full type in that I'm glade it is finally here and it doesn't look like it would take much to make a showroom type build out of it. Beyond that a builder would have to be changing things around anyway to make it into what ever they are wanting to build. My first one will be a showroom type build and the next one will depend on the mood at the time.  I think we all owe Round 2 a big think you for doing this in the first place. 

Just now, Daddyfink said:

I think it is pretty neat for what it is, a car based on a T.V. show, and it has potential to be more. 

Hope AMT plays some more with their tooling and gives us another one hit wonder! I could use another wagon, how about you?

Since they have already done so much basic ground work with this Impala my thoughts are that a '67 Impala would be the next logical offering for a wagon. I admit this is with much hope on my part but at this point it wouldn't take as much work as starting with some other two door hardtop to base a wagon off of. They have reissued the '65 Chevelle to the point it may not be selling as many as they like. A couple of options to think about would be : '62 Bel Air, '62 Pontiac Catalina, '69 Chevelle, '60 Ford, '66 Fairlane just to name a few. Round 2 has the rights to the AMT Library and hopefully the molds to go along with it. I would also like to see a '58 Impala Wagon. I had a neighbor who had one when I was growing up and I just always like the looks of that car.  

58 minutes ago, espo said:

62 Bel Air, '62 Pontiac Catalina, '69 Chevelle, '60 Ford, '66 Fairlane just to name a few

58 minutes ago, espo said:

58 Impala Wagon

I would love a wagon of any of these. Unfortunately, the 69 Chevelle and 66 Fairlane wagons are on a different wheelbase than their 2-door cousins. Makes things a little more difficult.

It will definitely be interesting to see what Round2 gives us.

I think it's  VERY cool kit. There's enough there to make something nice! I'm glad to see something different nowadays. The interior isn't a biggie because I'm sure SOMEONE out there in resin land will fab up what's needed in order to make it factory-stock. Swirls and other minor bodywork-related issues can easily be overcome. Enjoy the kit for what is IS or don't BUY it; NOT a difficult decision at ALL. Thank you for sharing the pictures of what's inside. I'm going to buy two of them. 

Dropping this pic here, for those of you interested in opening the trunk. Looks like the top interior part will need to be smoothed out to clear out the injector pins. I'll probably use modeller's clay to shape the inside supports.

1967-chevrolet-impala-ss-convertible.jpg

I guess no one has considered that it's quite possible that Round2 has plans to issue this kit later as factory stock? I don't think any kit company would do the tooling for a one and done. It could be why it came with the bias ply tires. If all it needs is a stock bench seat and wheel covers to make it stock, they would be silly not to.

4 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I guess no one has considered that it's quite possible that Round2 has plans to issue this kit later as factory stock? I don't think any kit company would do the tooling for a one and done. It could be why it came with the bias ply tires. If all it needs is a stock bench seat and wheel covers to make it stock, they would be silly not to.

Exactly what I was thinking— even if it was a short run, “private label” type of kit, I’d pay a (slight) premium for a kit molded in white with those stock upgrades. 

32 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I guess no one has considered that it's quite possible that Round2 has plans to issue this kit later as factory stock? 

People have:

On 7/9/2019 at 7:41 PM, Rob Hall said:

*If* they do an accurate '67 Impala 4dr ht, I can see them being able to get at least 3 releases out of it--the car from the show w/ any show-specific extras like spotlights and the custom wheels, a stock '67 Impala 4dr ht, and the obligatory Coke version.

2 hours ago, espo said:

Since they have already done so much basic ground work with this Impala my thoughts are that a '67 Impala would be the next logical offering for a wagon.

No '67 Impala wagon from Round2 is forthcoming, sorry.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

People have:

No '67 Impala wagon from Round2 is forthcoming, sorry.

Sorry to hear that. I'm guessing you have an inside track on such things, but I think you can see why I would think that. I hope this kit does well for them so they may consider similar offerings in the future. I think a wagon, almost any wagon would be a financial success for them in the future based on what I perceive is a pent up demand.