Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT-1124 Supernatural Impala

Finally got mine. The plan is to convert it to a 2DS Biscayne. 

Today I found a nice profile photo of one on the net. I downloaded it and resized it till I got it as close as I could get it to the AMT body in both overall length and wheel openings. 

The 4DH rear roofline is a little "faster" (more sloped) than the pic of the Biscayne. But the window opening shape is darned similar. The roof line could be fixed with a LOT of work, but I think I can live with it as is. 

Biggest problem will be scratchbuilding the window frames. Oh I know HOW to do it and have a plan, it's just going to be a lot of careful, tedious work. :unsure:

15 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Finally got mine. The plan is to convert it to a 2DS Biscayne. 

Today I found a nice profile photo of one on the net. I downloaded it and resized it till I got it as close as I could get it to the AMT body in both overall length and wheel openings. 

The 4DH rear roofline is a little "faster" (more sloped) than the pic of the Biscayne. But the window opening shape is darned similar. The roof line could be fixed with a LOT of work, but I think I can live with it as is. 

Biggest problem will be scratchbuilding the window frames. Oh I know HOW to do it and have a plan, it's just going to be a lot of careful, tedious work. :unsure:

I'd like to see that, as I love the looks of those. 

Ok so I built one of these and have this to say. They should have retooled the rear seat package shelf piece. This piece and the interior sides won’t allow the interior to fit all the way into the body. I hacked the back off the package shelf and clearances did some stuff on the sides to get it to fit better. It’s still not great to me. The frt suspension sits way too high also. I just drilled new holes in the wheel backs to off set them so it sits better. And yes the front bumper has the correct cornering light option for the show car. I would convert one of these to a Caprice next. I also replace the tires I didn’t like them at all.

2B71E6A5-0009-40A9-95CC-732D0379F427.jpeg

C8916317-4A0C-4AD0-A9BB-1DCB0619CEFD.jpeg

Edited by yellowsportwagon

37 minutes ago, yellowsportwagon said:

They should have retooled the rear seat package shelf piece. This piece and the interior sides won’t allow the interior to fit all the way into the body. I hacked the back off the package shelf and clearances did some stuff on the sides to get it to fit better. It’s still not great to me.

Looks great so far ! Too bad that there's an issue with the fitment of the interior's rear-quarters ; however , at least there was too much material vs. having to fabricate additional materials to fill the void .

AMT's 1990's kits all have ride height problems . Not sure why --- they all take some level of adjusting-from-stock to sit proper .

[ EDIT ] Not to mention the sub-sized windscreen and backlight assemblies .

Edited by 1972coronet
Addendum

3 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Looks great so far ! Too bad that there's an issue with the fitment of the interior's rear-quarters ; however , at least there was too much material vs. having to fabricate additional materials to fill the void .

AMT's 1990's kits all have ride height problems . Not sure why --- they all take some level of adjusting-from-stock to sit proper .

[ EDIT ] Not to mention the sub-sized windscreen and backlight assemblies .

The whole chassis still don’t sit against the wheelhouses properly. I gave up before I fixed it till I broke it.

1 hour ago, yellowsportwagon said:

Ok so I built one of these and have this to say. They should have retooled the rear seat package shelf piece. This piece and the interior sides won’t allow the interior to fit all the way into the body. I hacked the back off the package shelf and clearances did some stuff on the sides to get it to fit better. It’s still not great to me. The frt suspension sits way too high also. I just drilled new holes in the wheel backs to off set them so it sits better. And yes the front bumper has the correct cornering light option for the show car. I would convert one of these to a Caprice next. I also replace the tires I didn’t like them at all.

Great comments, thanks for posting them! Also, you produced a FINE looking model! B)

12 hours ago, yellowsportwagon said:

2B71E6A5-0009-40A9-95CC-732D0379F427.jpeg

C8916317-4A0C-4AD0-A9BB-1DCB0619CEFD.jpeg

In a perfect world they indeed should've retooled the backseat parcel shelf. dunno if it's the case with this OEM, but remember from my day's at Opel, that the seating cushion from the backseat is longer on a 2dr than on a 4dr. 

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

In a perfect world they indeed should've retooled the backseat parcel shelf. dunno if it's the case with this OEM, but remember from my day's at Opel, that the seating cushion from the backseat is longer on a 2dr than on a 4dr. 

The package shelf is too long and high. It was designed for a fastback roof. 

11 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Round2 expects most of them will be left sealed in the package by collectors of Supernatural memorabilia. 

That's sad, what a waste of plastic.

They should ship out boxes filled with random stuff to make up the weight for the collectors, they'd never know, and sell the unboxed kits to us......

On 7/30/2020 at 8:42 PM, Snake45 said:

Finally got mine. The plan is to convert it to a 2DS Biscayne

I’ve always wanted to convert the Revell 1/25 1965 Chevy Impala to a 2dr Biscayne using theMonogram 1/24 1964 GTO roof.

Edited by doggie427

53 minutes ago, doggie427 said:

I’ve always wanted to convert the Revell 1/25 1965 Chevy Impala to a 2dr Biscayne using theMonogram 1/24 1964 GTO roof.

I had the same idea. Bought the convertible kit, thinking it might be easier to use the convertible up-top as a base for the 2DS roof. 

• 2 weeks later...

Having chewed my way through Breaking Bad, Ozark, and Tiger King on Netflix, last night I watched the first two episodes of Supernatural. I'd never seen a single minute of the show before. 

I was not impressed, and won't be going through 320 episodes of the thing looking for a few good shots of a semi-cool car. :unsure:

If anyone can recommend any specific episodes where the car is especially featured or plays an important role, I could be persuaded to watch those. B)

3 hours ago, Matt T. said:

From the Supernatural Wiki:

"Episode 11.04 'Baby' is told from the point of view of the Impala."

Yep, was gonna suggest that episode. Plus, it's pretty funny if you're a regular to the show. Another is the final episode in season 5, the opening sequence shows actual footage of the 100,000,000 GM vehicle leaving the assembly line, a 1967 Caprice. Some good footage of Baby in that episode too. The further into the seasons you go, the more you see the car.

Snake, I can't believe you can't get into the show, lol. What's not to like, lots of muscle cars, lots of guns, (Dean has an awesome, engraved, nickle plated genuine Colt 1911a1). Great "real" rock for the soundtrack also. Some hot women too. I know the whole "Supernatural" thing with ghosts, vampires, demons and the like is hokey sometimes, but I got hooked on the show for the cars, guns, classic rock, and hot women. And yes, I'm 49, married with children, and don't live in my mom's basement, lol.

P.S. check youtube, found several good videos about just the car, I just can't figure out if I can imbed video links here.

Enjoy the build,

Jeff 

2 hours ago, Goose1957 said:

Yep, was gonna suggest that episode. Plus, it's pretty funny if you're a regular to the show. Another is the final episode in season 5, the opening sequence shows actual footage of the 100,000,000 GM vehicle leaving the assembly line, a 1967 Caprice. Some good footage of Baby in that episode too. The further into the seasons you go, the more you see the car.

Snake, I can't believe you can't get into the show, lol. What's not to like, lots of muscle cars, lots of guns, (Dean has an awesome, engraved, nickle plated genuine Colt 1911a1). Great "real" rock for the soundtrack also. Some hot women too. I know the whole "Supernatural" thing with ghosts, vampires, demons and the like is hokey sometimes, but I got hooked on the show for the cars, guns, classic rock, and hot women. And yes, I'm 49, married with children, and don't live in my mom's basement, lol.

P.S. check youtube, found several good videos about just the car, I just can't figure out if I can imbed video links here.

Enjoy the build,

Jeff 

Watched the "Baby" episode this afternoon. Looks like almost the entire show was shot from inside the car. At the end, it's pretty beat up. Wonder if anyone will model it that way?

Sorry, but the show just seems lame to me. I have better guns (and knives) than the stuff I've seen on there so far. It's not particularly humorous or interesting in any way. It reminds me a lot of NBC's Grimm of a few years ago, which I similarly grew tired of after a couple seasons of watching the heroes fight the "monster of the week" in improbable and silly ways. I didn't realize Supernatural had been on so long--it's very likely that Grimm was a ripoff/copy of it. 

Kinda cool car, though--I did buy the model. And, before that, the diecast! B)

38 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Watched the "Baby" episode this afternoon. Looks like almost the entire show was shot from inside the car. At the end, it's pretty beat up. Wonder if anyone will model it that way?

Sorry, but the show just seems lame to me. I have better guns (and knives) than the stuff I've seen on there so far. It's not particularly humorous or interesting in any way. It reminds me a lot of NBC's Grimm of a few years ago, which I similarly grew tired of after a couple seasons of watching the heroes fight the "monster of the week" in improbable and silly ways. I didn't realize Supernatural had been on so long--it's very likely that Grimm was a ripoff/copy of it. 

Kinda cool car, though--I did buy the model. And, before that, the diecast! B)

I actually prefer the "monster of the week" episodes. I hate the overall story arc. I'd like it better if Dean used an AR15 or something. His "no holster, hammer down" 1911 carry makes me cringe.

I understand. Not every show is liked by all. Try as I might, I just can't get into The Walking Dead, yet it seems to still be wildly popular. Yea, I think Grimm was a copycat of Supernatural. There are some other cool cars on Supernatural. One of the earlier characters drives a beat up 70 Chevelle and has a junkyard full of old muscle cars. And I agree, some of the weapons handling on the show makes me cringe, but hey, it's hollywood, where anything's possible. 

Jeff