Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Rusty92

AMT-1124 Supernatural Impala

Recommended Posts

So far it seems that I am the only one that got The Flash on his kit!

Collectors Item!! LOL! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2020 at 12:45 PM, 1972coronet said:

Exactly . I'd neglected to mention that kit as it seemed redundant ( Mark IV engine with TH-400 trans ) , but in retrospect , I should have ( not everyone is aware of the Monte's engine / trans. ).

Heck , one can even swap the 427 / 4-speed into the 'Carlo , and make one of the extremely rare 402 / 4-speed models out of it .

I remember one episode where the hood was up. The engine was clearly a big block. However, I also remember a different episode where Dean "went back in time" and part of that episode included talking his own father into buying the car. One of his selling points was that the car had a "327 4bbl". Revell's 64 Impala has a fairly good 327/PG. The early episodes also had the car equipped with steelies and dog dish caps. 

So, if one were to build the kit accurate to the show, there are still plenty of options. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, gui_tarzan said:

Does anyone make a '68 conversion kit? I want to build one like I had many years ago.

Hold that thought! It’s a logical conversion, someone will probably offer it  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2020 at 4:10 PM, Rbray47 said:

I remember one episode where the hood was up. The engine was clearly a big block. However, I also remember a different episode where Dean "went back in time" and part of that episode included talking his own father into buying the car. One of his selling points was that the car had a "327 4bbl". Revell's 64 Impala has a fairly good 327/PG. The early episodes also had the car equipped with steelies and dog dish caps. 

So, if one were to build the kit accurate to the show, there are still plenty of options. 

 

The cars used for filming had all types of engines, built 350s, stock motors, etc.

The 'Hero' car they used for close ups of the car, as shown by the guy who owns it, has a 502 under the hood.

In the show the character states it has a 327. 

So I think just about any engine is 'ok' in this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hpiguy said:

The cars used for filming had all types of engines, built 350s, stock motors, etc.

The 'Hero' car they used for close ups of the car, as shown by the guy who owns it, has a 502 under the hood.

In the show the character states it has a 327. 

So I think just about any engine is 'ok' in this one.

I assume you work on/around the show? You probably have loads of info about the cars, not just the engines used. 

I like the show at times (far from love it) but it's just about my wife's favorite show, and she wants me to build the car as close to accurate as possible. Personally, I think 67 was the ugliest year Impala of them all, but we all do things for our wives we wouldn't normally do. I'd rather have Dean's 1911 than his car lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question: do the front and rear bumpers and flat hood fit on the '90s-tooled SS hardtop?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mr. Muppet said:

Question: do the front and rear bumpers and flat hood fit on the '90s-tooled SS hardtop?

Yes! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Rbray47 said:

Personally, I think 67 was the ugliest year Impala of them all...

Now, see, I consider the '65-'67 Impalas the BEST looking of all time, the peak of Impala styling. The predecessors weren't nearly as good looking, and after '67 they started going downhill. (And I got my driver's license in a '70!) B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rbray47 said:

I assume you work on/around the show? You probably have loads of info about the cars, not just the engines used. 

I like the show at times (far from love it) but it's just about my wife's favorite show, and she wants me to build the car as close to accurate as possible. Personally, I think 67 was the ugliest year Impala of them all, but we all do things for our wives we wouldn't normally do. I'd rather have Dean's 1911 than his car lol

No connections, an article popped up and the guy that built the cars for the show talked about them.

https://driving.ca/chevrolet/impala/auto-news/news/supernatural-impala-is-a-big-block-powered-demon-hunter 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Now, see, I consider the '65-'67 Impalas the BEST looking of all time, the peak of Impala styling. The predecessors weren't nearly as good looking, and after '67 they started going downhill. (And I got my driver's license in a '70!) B)

I was taught to drive in a 68. 1968 redeemed and refined the homely 67 and gave it the proper shape and amount of taillights lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it can depend on your own past personnel experience with any given car or body style. I happen to be partial to these big Impalas having been a past owner of some. A new '66 Impala SS and a sneaky '68 Bel Air with a 427 and 4 speed.   I haven't watched any of the TV series but I'm going to build a civilian version of the '67 Impala as soon as I get one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, espo said:

I guess the beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it can depend on your own past personnel experience with any given car or body style. I happen to be partial to these big Impalas having been a past owner of some. A new '66 Impala SS and a sneaky '68 Bel Air with a 427 and 4 speed.   I haven't watched any of the TV series but I'm going to build a civilian version of the '67 Impala as soon as I get one. 

You're correct. The 68 I learned in belonged to my brother. His daily drivers vary, but his 2nd vehicle is almost always a 68 Impala, Belair, or Biscayne. His preference probably goes back to when dad bought a 68 impala new. 

I'm also probably in the tiny minority here who doesn't like 55-56 Chevies. 57s are fine, but I think the previous 2 model years were unattractive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rbray47 said:

1968 redeemed and refined the homely 67 and gave it the proper shape and amount of taillights lol

The back end of the '68 was more attractive than the '67, but the front end was just "change for the sake of change" that was no improvement at all on the magnificent '67. 

 

1 hour ago, Rbray47 said:

I'm also probably in the tiny minority here who doesn't like 55-56 Chevies. 57s are fine, but I think the previous 2 model years were unattractive. 

Blasphemer! Heretic! :blink:B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the '67 rear more than the '68...though I really like the optional hidden headlight front on the '68.   Likewise, I like the '69 more than the '70, esp. the rear.   Though of vintage Impalas, my favorites are probably the '71-73.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got mine today. The biggest difference between the '67 & '68 is in fact the taillight and rear bumper. The '67 has the rectangular taillights in a panel above the bumper, the '68 has round(ish) lights in the bumper. So there would need to be some decent mods to make this kit a '68 but the front end wouldn't be that bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A 68 Impala with the rare headlight cover option is so good looking!

68 Chevy.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Carmak said:

A 68 Impala with the rare headlight cover option is so good looking!

68 Chevy.jpg

Yeah, that's cool. It would look even cooler on the '67 front. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just me or do the '65 Impala and the '68's front look a lot alike? with just a few minor changes on the '68.

65 Imp.jpg

68chev38439-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The '65 and '68 fronts are very similar..both have a header panel above the grille (the '67 hood went all the way to the grille), the headlights notch up into that panel, the bumper has the lower grille below an upper bar...  I like the styling of all of those years.  GM had a lot of good looking cars in the mid to late 60s...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ranma said:

Is it just me or do the '65 Impala and the '68's front look a lot alike? with just a few minor changes on the '68.

65 Imp.jpg

68chev38439-1.jpg

I never noticed that before, but you might be onto something! 

I have always thought that the '67 Chevy front end was ripped from the classic '63-'65 Riviera. Hey, if you're gonna steal, steal from the best! B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me, the '68 is far better looking than the '67. It's like the '67 was the practice run. The '68 was the money run. There's no denying that the '68 is cleaner. No separate cowl or ugly wipers showing. Just a cool looking grille at the rear of the hood that finishes off a subtle hood bulge. Then you have the rear with six tail lights integrated into the bumper with back up lights integrated into the tail lights.

If I ever build a '67, I want to try molding the cowl to the hood and the front of the hood to the fenders to make that part of it like the '68. Then cut a new line across the front of the hood leaving a header panel. I would also like to give the rear a similar treatment by putting the tail lights into the bumper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm enjoying all the different opinions on the best and worst looking year models. I would have liked to have a '67 instead of the '68, but again this is just me.  I like the instrument panel in the '67 better than the '68 I owned and the '68 even had the optional full instrument option including the Tach. I just like the way the '67 gauges were laid out. Rbray47 mentioned the tri 5 Chevy models. I don't know if it is because my father had a '56 but that is the one I would want. I have had a '57 and it was a great experience, but owning a '57 is kind of like a belly button, everyone has one. Carmak posted a picture of a '68 with the hideaway headlights. The car in that picture also has two fairly unusual options. The first is the SS  didn't often show up with the hideaway headlight option. The second is looking at the cornering lights at the ends of the front fender.  This was part of some of the optional lighting groups that Chevrolet offered. These would be on whenever the headlights were in use. The '67 model used in the series also has this option, if it were standard the area would have a design somewhat like the grill with a flat black finish in between the ribs and that is haw a majority of them were built unless someone was doing a special ordered car. Ranma noticed a close resemblance between the '65 Impala and the '68 in the photo. The solid thin bumper going across the front was sort of a Chevrolet styling Q and if you looked at all of the year models in that era you would see the resemblance between them all in that area.   I don't dislike any of them really, I just prefer some over the other. I still can't wait to get my hands on this new Impala more door model.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...