Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Deuce Built from Rat Roaster

gasser59

Hi all - been working on this for a few weeks. Our club theme build this month is a deuce so I had to put something together. Funny, I had lots of '32 kits but not a built one. Started with the Rat Roaster kit but with a few changes. Here's a few pictures. The frame is basically out of the box although I added a brake master cylinder from another '32 kit, not shown here. Since this frame picture, I've modified the axle ends to narrow the wheels to get them closer to the body.

IMG_2546.jpg

Edited by gasser59

The engine is the Rat Roaster kit with a dual high rise manifold from the street version of the '66 Nova. topping off the manifold are a pair of Fireball Modelworks carbs. Engine is wired and just for grins, it has the correct firing order. I stole a coil from the same Nova kit. Carbs are plumbed, not shown here, but I think I'll forego the linkage detail. I have some parts on order so that is delaying me a bit too. Time is running out and I want to have this done in time. Paint is Tamiya Orange over Tamiya Silver Leaf.

IMG_2565.jpg

Edited by gasser59

Body is painted and will be polished in a few days. The radiator shell isn't painted because I'm waiting on some aluminum pulleys and a PE radiator grill from Model Car Garage. Hope these get here soon. Deadline is a week from Saturday. Nor sure about the air cleaner but for now, it seems to work. It still needs the paper filter put on.

Paint.jpg

Edited by gasser59

Until my PE grill, aluminum pulleys and decals arrive, I've gone about as far as I can go. The interior is all finished. I used Tamiya Matt Black and went over the seats and door panels with a brushed on coat of Future. I cut some radiator PE material to fit the front of the shell since the PE grill will allow you to see inside. Also made a fuel line that goes from the lower firewall to the fuel pump with a filter and fabricated an aluminum firewall. Also prepped for radiator support rods and the chrome headers are all ready for install. The undercarriage exhaust is all installed. I originally wasn't going to put in the under chassis system so I had to cut each side into 3 pieces, pin it and then install it. Also prepped were the radiator hoses.

Come on mailman, be good to me today.

WeekendProgress1.JPG

WeekendProgress2.JPG

Chassis.JPG

Plumbing.JPG

Edited by gasser59

Still no help from the mailman and I'm just sort of spinning my wheels on small bits here and there. I had a PE license plate frame in a set for an early Ford pickup so I repurposed it and drew up a license plate on the computer, printed it out and added a layer of packing tape to make it shiny and stiffer. I guess you can tell by now my theme for this build. I'm a big time fan of the Phx Suns and I sure hope they do better this upcoming season.

SunsPlate.jpg

Edited by gasser59

• 5 weeks later...

Its now August 21st and my package finally arrived this past Monday. This put me so far behind that I've taken this build off the work bench and have put two others on it. I've lost my interest on this for now.

Edited by gasser59