Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why isn't there anymore 2d SUV

2 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

[...]

maxresdefault.jpg

[...]

Saw two of these at an auction several years ago.  Think the body is based on the Mitsubishi Eclipse (the passenger cell), otherwise all custom made.  Cool looking, fills a niche.

On 7/10/2019 at 11:36 AM, 89AKurt said:

. What's with the Challenger being a 4 door, the original was 2 door.  Marketing genius of appealing to fat Americans I suppose.

I think you meant the "Charger". I have a Challenger and it's definitely a two door. :D

One of the reasons I dislike four doors is a practical one. Being a tall guy (over 6ft.), I have to have the seat as far back as possible. With the front doors of a four door so short, I've already ripped nice pants twice because they've caught on the door jamb trying to get in/out. Another issue is the waaaay too thick center pillars on today's cars. I have enough difficulties with eyesight as it is and that center pillar blocks my peripheral vision too much. On a two door, the pillar is further back and out of my side vision.

If they made true hardtops again for four doors of course that wouldn't be an issue. That'll never reappear though due to way too many Safety Sam's and Sally's in the NHTSA. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

I think you meant the "Charger". I have a Challenger and it's definitely a two door. :D

One of the reasons I dislike four doors is a practical one. Being a tall guy (over 6ft.), I have to have the seat as far back as possible. With the front doors of a four door so short, I've already ripped nice pants twice because they've caught on the door jamb trying to get in/out. Another issue is the waaaay too thick center pillars on today's cars. I have enough difficulties with eyesight as it is and that center pillar blocks my peripheral vision too much. On a two door, the pillar is further back and out of my side vision.

If they made true hardtops again for four doors of course that wouldn't be an issue. That'll never reappear though due to way too many Safety Sam's and Sally's in the NHTSA. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the correction.  I keep forgetting the name of the two.  All I know, when the cop asked why I didn't see him, I told him all the cops in Arizona drive Ford or Chevy SUVs, he smirked.
IMG_0322.thumb.jpg.8de38f498d5d6a3f8e141c85d68e529e.jpg

Same goes for the MINI Coopers.  I had a first and second generation two door, the 4 door versions are way too tight.  Their Paceman SUV is not bad, it's 2 doors.
10413924323_f3dbfcc623_c.jpg

9 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Bill , I so agree . No car maker , capitalization deliberately left off . Makes a two door for the sake of Customers . Few ,, so few . I need to fold myself to enter 4 drs . I have bad knees , back , neck , shoulders . Mini Vans aren't much less torturous . To make one set of stamping for sides and doors is "Cost Effective" . The non-standard group Iam in just loose .  TY Sallys .. Thanx 

John, an interesting little factoid about the Challenger. I was told when I bought my car that it's actually the last FULL SIZE two door car made for the US. It may not look like it, but considering the car's dimensions (wheelbase 2-3 inches shorter than a Charger), it qualifies as a full size car.

That's a far cry from back in the '90's when those were still all over the roads. Sooooo........it looks like I'll be hanging on to mine for a loooong time. It is GREAT for long trips as I just can't take being cramped up in small car but for so long, with the exception of maybe a true sports car such as a 'Vette (plenty of legroom in those-----I've been in a C6).

Now if I had a family with kids and all, I can see probably getting some type of four door vehicle. Two doors while to me they are nicer, aren't very practical these days for hauling kids and stuff around when you need to.

I will be shopping for a car for my wife soon and will be wanting a 4 door for sure. Even tho it is just her and me anymore we need a 4 door. Her car now is a Toyota Solara and as they are all two doors the problem is when parking in the garage when my F 150 is in there. The doors on the Solara are so long it is a very tight squeeze to get in and out of that car.

5 minutes ago, cobraman said:

I will be shopping for a car for my wife soon and will be wanting a 4 door for sure. Even tho it is just her and me anymore we need a 4 door. Her car now is a Toyota Solara and as they are all two doors the problem is when parking in the garage when my F 150 is in there. The doors on the Solara are so long it is a very tight squeeze to get in and out of that car.

I need a bigger garage.  I have a 2 car garage, but with my 4dr Grand Cherokee in there, my 2dr '87 Mustang GT won't fit--the doors are too long to open to get out of and leave enough space between it and the wall and the Jeep (so it's stored at my family farm 90 miles away).    My sister's tiny 4dr Chevy Trax will fit in if I fold up the mirrors and get very close to one wall, haven't tried fitting in her Cadillac STS.   I want to get a late model Challenger, but I'm going to need a wider garage.  Next house will be one story (all the stairs in the split level are killing my knees) with more garage space. 

Edited by Rob Hall

21 hours ago, Bucky said:

And, they are calling this a SUV:

land-rover-range-rover-sv-coupe-geneva-2

ONLY $295,000.00. 

https://www.motor1.com/news/235032/2019-range-rover-sv-coupe-debut/

I believe I read that the two-door RR was cancelled by Land Rover a few weeks ago.  JLR (Jaguar Land Rover) has been in a world of financial hurt the last several quarters and this was one of the projects underway that was cancelled to try to stem the financial bleeding.....TIM  

There aren't any more 2 door SUVs for the same reason there aren't any 2 door hatchbacks or coupes and for the same reason sedans are fading. The market isn't there anymore. Right now 4 door SUVs are the hot thing. In a few years probably something else will be the hot thing.

We went from an FJ40 Landcruiser to a Suburban. With kids and all, you gotta have 4 doors. After the Suburban got stolen, we bought ourselves an Xterra; also 4 doors. Drove that poor thing to death, but got 265K until the transmission failed. 

I don't get why people buy the fancy leather seats for their SUVs. I don't know about the rest of you, but the interior of our vehicles see way too much salt, sand, and dirt for leather upholstery to last more than a few years. The upholstery in our Xterra was derided as cheap looking, and it kinda was, but boy was it durable. 

On 7/12/2019 at 1:51 AM, MrObsessive said:

Amen brother!  :)  I know exactly what you mean.  I'm 6'3"-6'4" and I typically have to squeeze into a 4-door as is (being tall&fat doesn't help).  Right now I've got a Malibu, but I miss my GM A-Bodies.

Something to consider if you're over say over 6 ft. tall. My last two every day drivers have been four doors. They have both been Chargers, and they aren't exactly small. Being over 6 ft. means I sit further back than some do. What happens is the B pillar is even with my shoulder and it is actually harder to get in and out than in a two door car. My wife is 5ft 10in. she also has this issue but at a lesser degree. I guess getting older is a factor making this far more noticeable now than in years past. Some thing I have noticed, and this is one of those mind set things, most people of younger generations are not as put off by multidoor vehicles as most of us of a curtain age. This has to do with being raised during a time when a two door hardtop or convertible was considered the most desirable car to own. Four doors and even Wagons were considered little more than taxis of the time. This may just be my personal hang up, but I think others may agree. The main thing today is we are forced to buy what ever the manufactures think we want, and it is up to us the consumer to determine which box full of doors we want to spend a ransom to buy.