Model Cars Magazine Forum

In need of help repairing a car badge

If this is in the wrong section, I apologize. I wasn't quite sure where to put it.

This badge is from my Uncle's Mercury Monarch. I'd like to keep it for sentimental reasons. How would I go about gluing it back together? JB weld? Something different? Thanks in advance!

20190709_192906.jpg

20190709_192926.jpg

I would place it on a piece of wax paper right side up on a thick piece of sheet Styrofoam.  It looks like it's die cast, so JB Weld might be the best way to repair it.  Just make sure that is listed on the JB Weld tube.  Apply with a rounded toothpick (much sturdier than a flat toothpick).  Be careful not to slop too much adhesive on the pieces or it will be more difficult to remove it from where you don't want it.  If you can, try practicing on something else first.  When you are satisfied with the repair, since it looks like one or more studs is missing, you might consider mounting it on a piece of wood painted the color of your uncle's car.  Good luck!   

By the way, I had a crimped sheet metal fitting securing the antenna to the bottom side of my El Camino's fender.  I couldn't believe something so crappy was used.  I wasn't sure how to fix it, so I used JB Weld and it is fine today.  It has never vibrated loose.

Edited by Motor City
addendum

I think I would use some 30 minute clear epoxy to carefully stick it together. Then add some wire in the back section, and fill that in with Epoxy to have it solid. My Cousin owned a Mercury Monarch in about 1978, it was the same Body as the Granada. his had Manual shift 4 speed OD from the Factory, Very Odd.

Edited by my80malibu

Thank you all for the replies! I think I’ll go with JB weld since it’s the only thing mentioned that I have right now.

48 minutes ago, my80malibu said:

My Cousin owned a Mercury Monarch in about 1978, it was the same Body as the Granada. his had Manual shift 4 speed OD from the Factory, Very Odd.

That is a rather unique sounding setup.

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 9:17 PM, my80malibu said:

My Cousin owned a Mercury Monarch in about 1978, it was the same Body as the Granada. his had Manual shift 4 speed OD from the Factory, Very Odd.

Back in the 80s I had a buddy with Ford Granada that had a 351 with the 4 spd OD trans. He fit an interior and body parts from a Lincoln Versailles (same chassis), basically creating a manual shift Lincoln. 

I had a 1978 Mercury Monarch 4 door sedan.  It was that awful silver that flaked off, with a blue interior.   What was interesting about it back then was that it had bucket seats and the same console as my 1979 Fox Capri.  It was a 302 automatic car.  

Bucket seats in a sedan is common place today but was very exotic in 1978!  

On 7/9/2019 at 8:17 PM, my80malibu said:

You're the only other person I've run into that knew of a car of that type! Years ago I had a good friend that had a '75-'76 Granada four door and that had a four speed OD on the floor. I thought it was weird as heck for that type of car, but it was definitely factory built. ;)

9 hours ago, Bainford said:

Back in the 80s I had a buddy with Ford Granada that had a 351 with the 4 spd OD trans. He fit an interior and body parts from a Lincoln Versailles (same chassis), basically creating a manual shift Lincoln. 

You too! :D 

I just commented about a good friend of mine that had one back in the late '80's. He thought my car was interesting (I had my '69 AMX then) and I thought HIS was interesting as that was the first I ever saw a Granada like that.

A guy I knew (drowned some years ago :() had a very nice Monarch in the early 2000s, sure it was of course not flawless but a well maintained car, I have to say that I was a bit in love with it....

When I saw it two years later it was painted flat black with a roller,  someone had been jumping on the roof (factory sunroof car too! :(), interior was filthy and the rockers were coated with rubber after too many burnouts in reverse..... Very sad indeed. :(

On 7/12/2019 at 11:24 PM, Tom Geiger said:

I had a 1978 Mercury Monarch 4 door sedan.  It was that awful silver that flaked off, with a blue interior.   What was interesting about it back then was that it had bucket seats and the same console as my 1979 Fox Capri.  It was a 302 automatic car.  

Bucket seats in a sedan is common place today but was very exotic in 1978!  

My mom had a '76 (IIRC) 4-door Monarch.  She called a "small V8" (so, a 302). It was baby blue with dark blue vinyl roof and trim, and dark blue interior with a front bench seat.  I was in my mid teens then and I lover the factory radio with 4 speakers.  When it got totaled, she got a '77 T-bird.