Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Hubley Collection

Sam I Am

I have a soft spot for Hubley models. My Dad would buy them for me and we would actually work on them together. They are all in need of restoration, but since I had to dig them out to see what all I had, I took some pics.

I have all the Model A's. The pickup, roadster and coupe I built when I  was 8-10, the Vicky was built by my older cousin in the mid sixties, and the woody and touring car were built by my older brother and sister in the mid sixties. 

The Duesenberg was built by the same older cousin, the 32 Chevies and the Packard roadster were by me when I  was 10-13. I picked up a second Duesenberg,  the Packard sport phaetans,  and the other model a's over the years. The Town Sedan is new in the box.

I am currently in the middle of a trade for two Model T's and another Packard Roadster.  I am always looking to trade for parts, partials, old built ups, and kits.

Thanks for looking at my dusty old builds. ?

I realize I am in need of a couple instruction sheets as well. ?

image.thumb.jpg.fc6307c85d4283bd1efcaaadcd582bd1.jpg

20190705_190034.jpg

20190705_190028.jpg

Edited by Sam I Am

4 hours ago, Junkman said:

I love Hubleys. For me, they are the Märklin of model kits.
I have a few of them, mainly from the subsequent reissuers though.

I shall dig them out and delight you with pictures one of these days.

Looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

So the Model T's and Packard arrived and that led me to looking through the list of Hubley metal models and found that I need these to have all of them.

32 Chevy Roadster

Packard Dietrich 

Duesenberg Dual cowl phaeton 

Model T Depot hack and delivery truck

If anyone might have any of these they might want to trade for plastic, let me know.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Greetings! I am a new member with a passion for all things scale model car related. You struck a chord when you mentioned that you used to build these with your father.  I happen to have the 1/18 Hubley Duesenberg Model SJ Town Car #4868 which my father purchased years ago, and unfortunately never got to complete. I believe I have all of the components w/ the original box (a little worse for the wear & tear) and would like to complete it. However I 'm missing the instructions. I've searched and searched to no avail.  I'm currently following a bid on eBay to purchase the entire kit, and will do so if I have to. I see in your photograph though that you have a copy of the kit instructions. Perhaps perhaps you could scan a copy. I would be in your debt. Please advise. Thank you and best regards.

Very cool that you have family originals!

I remember back in 1969 I went to someone’s house who had a shelf of Hubleys that he and his dad had built together. I remember being impressed by the cars, the quality of the builds and the fact that he and his dad had worked on these together. A bit envious since my father hadn’t done so with me!

1 hour ago, robfullart@frontier.com said:

Greetings! I am a new member with a passion for all things scale model car related. You struck a chord when you mentioned that you used to build these with your father.  I happen to have the 1/18 Hubley Duesenberg Model SJ Town Car #4868 which my father purchased years ago, and unfortunately never got to complete. I believe I have all of the components w/ the original box (a little worse for the wear & tear) and would like to complete it. However I 'm missing the instructions. I've searched and searched to no avail.  I'm currently following a bid on eBay to purchase the entire kit, and will do so if I have to. I see in your photograph though that you have a copy of the kit instructions. Perhaps perhaps you could scan a copy. I would be in your debt. Please advise. Thank you and best regards.

I will be more than happy to take some pictures and message you with them. 

15 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Very cool that you have family originals!

I remember back in 1969 I went to someone’s house who had a shelf of Hubleys that he and his dad had built together. I remember being impressed by the cars, the quality of the builds and the fact that he and his dad had worked on these together. A bit envious since my father hadn’t done so with me!

Thanks Tom, they were really fun to build. 

My mom was friends with the dealer principal of one of the local Ford dealerships. They had known each other since they were in their twenties. He was really good to my parents and always had a promo up his sleeve for me. I built these two Hubleys for him in the early 1970s. He is long dead, but I was surprised to see them still on display a couple years ago in the showroom, along with a bunch of memorabilia and promos.

They recently completed a big showroom remodel. I haven't been in there since, but I hope this display case is still part of it.

The only other Hubley I ever had was a Packard Roadster. It went to Battle Creek, MI on a trade deal with one of our forum members.

Very simple kits, but I think they hold a place in many of our hearts. Makes me want to prowl eBay for another woodie.

IMG_20170228_163333270.jpg

52 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Those old Hubleys do have some potential. I built the SJ Phaeton some time ago and did a bit of extra detailing on it.

P1050303.JPG

P1050305.JPG

Beautiful car Noel.

I plan on adding more detail when I rebuild these. One of the things I have been studying is the hood and how to make them open correctly like you have. If you happen to have any pics of the process you came up with,  or a link to a build thread, I would be pleased if you would pm me.

Edited by Sam I Am

My dad Built this back in the seventies. He had a unfinished Hubley Chevrolet as well and that's where the wheels and  headlight came from after it rolled off a shelf and broke the original ones. As you can see, the headlight has not survived again. I plan to buy a kit and put back the original parts.

2v2HGJbK3xAVNRq.jpg

2v2HGJbfMxAVNRq.jpg

Edited by THarrison351

Sam, the way I separated the hood side and top was by using a very thin abrasive disc mounted in a Dremel or similar tool.I

The hinges were very small items sourced from dolls house suppliers,, cut to length and epoxy cemented  into place. Bear in mind that the exposed ends and edges of the good parts you cut out will need to be thinned for a more realistic scale appearance. What I should have done for the top hinge on my model was cut a step on the inside of both sides to take the hood centre hinge. You can see on my model that the hood cannot fold back far enough on the top. By relieving the area where the hinge will go will allow it to cope back further when the hinge is fitted. The side of the hood that remains closed on the model is as per our as I did not intend it to open from both sides. Hope this info helps.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

Don't worry too much about the tarnished metal. Just give those parts a good scrub with some washing up liquid in water using an old tooth brush to get into the nooks and crannies. Once dry just prime as normal. I noticed that the plated parts have been stripped on your model. I guess that you will spray these with some form of chrome paint.

On 11/14/2020 at 1:38 PM, Rodent said:

Sam, I would suggest "Aircraft Stripper" from an auto supply store for diecast parts.

Noel, the Hubley Fords had no plated parts as far as I remember. 

Correct Steve, no plated parts. The other nice thing about these is that the windows are just thin flat plastic, so they will be really easy to make out of just about any blister packaging. 

Oh, and Steve, I took the X700 out for a stroll yesterday.  

49 minutes ago, Brizio said:

Pretty cool models! I build one long time ago. Was a Ford Model A, that came with decals for make a taxi too.

That was the Towne car. In fact, a friend just sent me an old build up that still has the taxi decals on it. Do you happen to have any pics of the one you built? 

• 4 weeks later...