Model Cars Magazine Forum

4 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

As one of your very satisfied customers let me say that you never need to apologize for putting your family first. Time with your family can’t be replaced. 

2 hours ago, leafsprings said:

We understand. Thanks again for offering all  your excellent ( never done before ) products to this modeling community, we appreciate all your efforts.

Thank you fella's, it means a lot to me! 

1 hour ago, wrenchr said:

Thanks for the great products Bill!!

My biggest concern was are you and the Family ok, sounds like they are and best wishes to you and the Family!!

Take care.

Jason.  

Thank you Jason, we lost someone a few weeks ago but we are all fine and are pressing on.  Thank you again for your concern for my family!      Bill

Bill, as someone who has purchased your products, I am sad to hear of your closing of the business. I fully understand the reasoning and I can imagine the pressure you were under to get orders processed. I know in talking with a few other resin casters while placing orders they have seen a HUGE increase in business this year and I am sure the pandemic was the reason for it.

If you do decide to return in the future, I would suggest that maybe you do so on a smaller scale- fewer items or easy to cast / produce so that you can balance work/family/hobby. Most of us had no problem placing an order with The Modelhaus and waiting 6-8 weeks (or a year once they announced their retirement!) because they told us it would be that long and if I were to go into the resin casting / 3D printing business, I would use the same 6-8 week lead time.

Enjoy the free time and be sure to check back in here!

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

Bill, as someone who has purchased your products, I am sad to hear of your closing of the business. I fully understand the reasoning and I can imagine the pressure you were under to get orders processed. I know in talking with a few other resin casters while placing orders they have seen a HUGE increase in business this year and I am sure the pandemic was the reason for it.

If you do decide to return in the future, I would suggest that maybe you do so on a smaller scale- fewer items or easy to cast / produce so that you can balance work/family/hobby. Most of us had no problem placing an order with The Modelhaus and waiting 6-8 weeks (or a year once they announced their retirement!) because they told us it would be that long and if I were to go into the resin casting / 3D printing business, I would use the same 6-8 week lead time.

Enjoy the free time and be sure to check back in here!

Agreed, or cast when/if you feel like it and put the parts on eBay. Your stuff looks too good for it to just disappear.

Bill, you'll be missed, especially by builders like me.  I do want to say that your products were first class, along with your service, which is somewhat lacking in today's aftermarket ommunity.  Tkake care of yourself and your family as that it the most important part of life.

A.J.

Bill, THANK YOU for your resin contributions to the hobby and our light commercial builds! Your '67-'69 Ford grilles were especially appreciated. I will continue to draw inspiration from the great builds that you post on here.

You don't have to apologize for making time with family. Enjoy the new year! 

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the stresses of business, but have to tell you I am really disappointed! I didn't find out about your castings until November of last year and was getting an order together. I thought I would wait until after the new year and the rush of the holidays. My mistake! As always a day late and a dollar short. Good luck to you in the future!

Thank you everyone for understanding my situation.  More than likely, I will reopen in the future but for now, I need to take a break from the business aspect and enjoy my family, building models again, and just time to relax and take care of other things.  I appreciate everyone's kindness throughout this whole endeavor as I sort things out.   Bill

• 5 months later...

Hope you're doing alright Bill. I was saddened by the loss of your great line of products, and was in need of more when I found your website was down. Then when I never got a response to an email I sent, I figured something was up. I'm glad you're ok and I'm really grateful you designed those '60 Ford truck emblems for me so quickly. I know you have a lot on your plate in your personal life right now which is completely understandable. But may I make a suggestion that could possibly help you still get your products out to people without putting in any work printing them? You may consider uploading your files to cults3d website and selling the files. That way they can still be had. I do hope you one day come back to the printing business. Thank you for your awesome stuff. 

Jesse

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, leafsprings said:

Is there a reason why nobody wants to chrome plate anymore?  Modelhaus always chrome plated their resin grill pieces.

I guess they figure, with these Molotow pens around now, you can skip the sending them out to the chroming service all together. 🤑

Why not chrome?

A few reasons.  First, there aren't many chrome services left.  And because of that, turnaround is long.

Second, on a truck like that, the grille isn't really "chrome".  More like pressed aluminum.. maybe even silver plastic.  Both of which would have different levels of shine.  When I did the box art truck for the Model King / AMT 79 Ford Pickup,  I didn't have gloss black to use under my Alclad.  I improvised and used a spray Duplicolor deep blue metallic.  Happy accident is that it showed through and left me with the shine that Ford truck bumpers actually have!

Back when Modelhaus was doing chrome, they had outsourced it and they had a reject rate from the plater that made it more expensive to do..

I don't believe anyone is using the Molotow pen successfully for anything more than touchup. Some guys are spraying it through an airbrush. Others are doing the same with Alclad.  Most don't know Alclad comes in a spray can.  That's what I use.

Edited by Tom Geiger