Model Cars Magazine Forum

C8 Mid engine Vette.Hmmmm?

NYLIBUD

I think it's a car that's going to look better in person, like a lot of recent offerings. And it's attractive, without breaking any new ground.

That said, it definitely has an essential "Corvetteness" that I'm sure the designers were going for.

The great news is that it will probably help to drive the prices of C5s down ever further (great for me anyway, 'cause I want one).

The debut is next Thursday. I'm actually impressed with how under wraps Chev has kept this thing. No undisguised pics have leaked out yet, and it's less than a week from its launch.

Will be interestig to see how it looks, and more importantly, how they price it. 

I think there can be no doubt that the price will go up significantly over the C7. But where GM tries to position this new Vette will be interesting. Sticking to the core American muscle car guys? Slightly lofty goals like competing with Porsche and the Nissan GTR? Or shoot for the moon and go for Ferrari and McLaren?

So far, I think the biggest misstep has been sticking with the 6.2L V8 when there is a perfectly good Twin Turbo 4.4L V8 in the Cadillac CT6 that pumps out more horsepower, revs faster, and is lighter than that 6.2L and delivers better fuel economy while doing it.

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

The debut is next Thursday. I'm actually impressed with how under wraps Chev has kept this thing. No undisguised pics have leaked out yet, and it's less than a week from its launch.

There was supposedly a VERY good rear end shot that showed up on YouTube. Here's the video below.......

The jury is still out on this car for me. While I hate to see the C7 go (I was hoping it would continue on simultaneously with the C8), time moves on and Chevy wants to stay competitive. Like Bill said, this will maybe get the C5's and C6's prices lower. I actually like the C6 better than the C7. I'd LOVE a 2013 C6 Grand Sport! :D

The rear looks more Camaro than Vette.  Regardless, the car is awesome.  Recent magazine reports suggest the current entry-level small block will be the basic power plant at a price point very similar to today’s C7.  Upgrades in power plants, hp, induction systems and other premiums will push the price point well above the C7’s range.

can’t wait!!!!!

The first picture isn't a real one, it's a mockup. Bill's right that it looks pretty Corvette-y, but I guess if I was making an "artist's impression" than I'd go for that look as well. I'll reserve final judgement until we see the real thing. There's something off in that picture about the way the rear intakes, haunches and integrated wings intersect and blend into each other.

I think the key factor is going to be price. If it comes in at Cayman/Alpine A110 money then it's a killer. If it's in 911/Mclaren 570 territory, then it'll have to up the game dynamically, and if it's competing with the Huracan Performante/McLaren 720S/911 GTxxx/Ferrari 488 Pista, then they'd better have hired in some ex-Lotus and/or Ford GT team engineers to fettle it for the road...

best,

M.

26 minutes ago, Matt Bacon said:

There's something off in that picture about the way the rear intakes, haunches and integrated wings intersect and blend into each other.

Agreed, kinda clunky looking for lack of a better term. Seems like it needs more wheel (bigger rears) to balance it out, at least in my eyes. Not sold on the front intake either, plus the extra sculpting on the front spare/luggage cover is too busy for my taste. I also understand that most of what is showing up online are guesstimate renderings, so who knows... I'll just wait to see it when one shows up at my neighborhood Chevy dealer. 

Edited by Phirewriter

Or, for around $25 grand, you can get a clean one-owner C5 Z06. A world-class extremely high performance car by any rational being's definition, with clean, purposeful styling. And if it has a manual gearbox, it can be retromodded to be about as reliable as the proverbial brick, tuned to be as fast as anything out there, and run for 200,000 miles with minimal maintenance.

image.png.f199e4363c888aac67080b64b098365b.png

image.png.e7e29bef8634a79e256bad797aac8f6d.png

It's hard IMO to imagine a more beautiful American made automobile that the C 7. I look forward to seeing the C8 in person or possibly making another road trip to the factory in Ky to them being built. The last time we were there near the end of the tour at the final inspection position there were 10 black Z06 models in  row! Wow!

On 7/11/2019 at 8:43 PM, cobraman said:

I like it but I wonder if the first ones will have the bugs worked out. ?

C7 Corvettes are just now getting the nightmare automatic-gearbox thoroughly sorted out, after pretty much driving the resale prices of the cars into the toilet.

http://corvettec7fiasco.blogspot.com/2016/02/thousands-of-2015-and-2016-chevrolet.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4188120-more-a8-transmission-problems.html

I'd be really hesitant to buy an early-production C8, witch probably has an entirely redesigned gearbox that accommodates the mid-engined configuration.

It’s amazing ,the last C7 Vette was auctioned off at the recent North East Barrett Jackson for $2.7 million to help disabled Veterans by building special homes for them.The buyer purchased it on the phone.That is one very expensive phone call:lol:...Does anybody know the prices of the C8s?

Edited by NYLIBUD

From motor1.com:

How Much Will It Cost? A new report from Hagerty says the C8 Corvette will start at around $60,000 to $70,000. Considering the current Corvette Stingray starts at $55,900, and the range-topping ZR1 is a relative performance bargain at $118,900, a $60,000 starting price sounds reasonable.