Model Cars Magazine Forum

DECO-DENT, LFA-Powered Auburn Speedster Hardtop

FrozenPlastik49

• 2 weeks later...

Finally started getting some color (Splash Paints Battlefield Copper) on this thing. First photo is one of the valve covers from the Lexus LFA v10 with some Scale Motorsports clear carbon fiber decal. Second photo is one of the rims...I will be applying the clear CF decals to the spokes as well. Third photo is the painted V10 and the fourth photo is the Lexus instrument pod with CF decal applied.

20191118_183104[1].jpg

20191118_183129[1].jpg

20191118_183315[1].jpg

20191118_194642[1].jpg

Looking really good. I love the radical old-meets-new attitude. 
About the wheels, the proper way to go if you want to apply carbon to them, would be to do wheel barrels in carbon and leave the spokes or do the entire wheels in carbon. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 9:45 PM, mrm said:

Looking really good. I love the radical old-meets-new attitude. 
About the wheels, the proper way to go if you want to apply carbon to them, would be to do wheel barrels in carbon and leave the spokes or do the entire wheels in carbon. 

MRM, great idea on the wheels...perhaps next time!

2K clearcoat is now on the painted and CF-decaled parts. As can be seen from the photos, the engine bay panels have been extended to match the 'speed line' for a cleaner look. Just have to figure out some hood hinges and the windshield (having fitment issues with the Aluma Coupe windshield and may opt for clear acetate) before painting the body and undercarriage.

20191207_123145[1].jpg

20191207_123613[1].jpg

20191207_123640[1].jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for the comments...much appreciated!

BeeRS, it is a modular system made by Vallejo.

Since the last update, I've been applying carbon fiber decals on the body trim and the undercarriage. Though not seen in the photos, I do have a front mounted hinge prepared for the hood. Also painted and assembled the interior and front and rear suspensions. Once the decaling is complete, Splash 2K Gloss Clear will be applied to the body and undercarriage.

Everyone stay safe and healthy and model on!

20200319_170513.jpg

20200319_181809.jpg

18 hours ago, FrozenPlastik49 said:

Thanks everyone for the comments...much appreciated!

BeeRS, it is a modular system made by Vallejo.

Since the last update, I've been applying carbon fiber decals on the body trim and the undercarriage. Though not seen in the photos, I do have a front mounted hinge prepared for the hood. Also painted and assembled the interior and front and rear suspensions. Once the decaling is complete, Splash 2K Gloss Clear will be applied to the body and undercarriage.

Everyone stay safe and healthy and model on!

20200319_170513.jpg

20200319_181809.jpg

Killer build! Thanks for keeping us in the loop with all your posts.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got the finishing touches on this year-long project! Had the hardest time figuring out the hood hinge. Originally tried to hinge from the front but could only get it to work as a side mount. Not sure if I like my feeble attempt at LED headlights or not. Overall, happy to see it done nearly a year after it was started and looking mostly like I envisioned it. Will definitely be using Splash Paints on most of my builds moving forward, though my airbrush skills are a work in progress (the multitude of nooks and crannies on this thing didn't help, either). Will post better quality pics in the Under Glass section. On to the next build!

20200608_183152.jpg

20200608_183117.jpg

20200608_183043.jpg

20200608_183015.jpg