Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stooges+1969 = 1954 F-100

Iggy Pop was a producer of the four-part series "Punk," which aired on the EPIX cable channel earlier this year.  Probably available in your video streams/queues by now.  It's a great history of the genre, following it chronologically from The Stooges and Sex Pistols right up to Green Day and modern artists.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9419282/

Edited by Mike999
goofs

13 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

There is a definite family resemblance:

fsmi69-15.jpg.4e1947ec3d1cf6bc8eddfcc44df50974.jpg

Fordson High yearbook, 1969. Meanwhile, four years earlier at Ann Arbor High:

aami65-16.jpg.1413f3d9fa0d53999681e9f080b095a8.jpg

Junior looks so innocent??

Junior was innocent until c.1967 when he started hanging around the Asheton brothers more (he , Dave Alexander , and Ron were classmates ; Iggy was the only whom graduated) . He was straight when he was playing with The Iguanas (where he got his nom-de-arte surname of "Iggy") and The Prime Movers . 

The band which brought infamy to him (as its lead singer) was originally called The Psychedelic Stooges ( the name was Ron's idea ; Danny Fields made them drop "Psychedelic" from their name when they signed to Elektra in late '68 along with the MC5) .

'Lust For Life' , indeed !

3 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Iggy Pop was a producer of the four-part series "Punk," which aired on the EPIX cable channel earlier this year.  Probably available in your video streams/queues by now.  It's a great history of the genre, following it chronologically from The Stooges and Sex Pistols right up to Green Day and modern artists.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9419282/

Awesome ! I'll have to check that out . 

I was first exposed to the genre when I was in high school (1985) , and have clung to it since (along with other genres ; precursor Garage bands , R&B , Soul , Gospel , Bluegrass , Country , Western , etc. , etc.) .

As much as I enjoy The Sex Pistols , they did pinch their look from Richard Hell . That , however , doesn't take away from them artistically .

Also also: the quirky 1987 movie "Border Radio."  With Dave Alvin of The Blasters, of course, since that's his signature song right there in the title.  Also starring John Doe from X and a passel of other people from the 1980's Los Angeles Cowpunk and Roots-Rock scene.  Turner Classic Movies shows it occasionally.

One of my favorite Cowpunk bands was Lone Justice, who I saw live back in the day. It was a hoot to see Maria McKee, singing while hopping around on one foot and banging on her Fender Telecaster.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090766/

Another great film about that scene was "Urgh! a Music War". One of my favorite bands, The Fleshtones, was in the film:

The band live in my neighborhood of Greenpoint and even wrote a song about the hipster invasion there. :D

45 minutes ago, peter31a said:

Am I the only one who entered this topic expecting Curly, Larry and Moe or Shemp? Don't know these other guys. :lol:

The band's name was an homage to the comedy troupe . Ron Asheton ran The Three Stooges Fan Club back in the day ; he also frequently visited Larry Fein back in 1974 , 1975 (see attached image) .

To paraphrase Ron Asheton's quote regarding the band's Psychedelic Stooges name : " [ My brother Scott , and neighborhood friend Dave Alexander ] were sitting around taking [ expunged drug name ] and watch The Three Stooges . Just when we started 'peaking' , the name came to me : ' we're like the Three Stooges --- we're always getting into trouble ; cops are always chasing us [...]  , and we're on [ expunged drug name ] --- why not call ourselves "The Psychedelic Stooges" ? ."

The rest is history .

AshetonFein.jpg.147cce3d026057798341a274693ef65a.jpg  

On 7/12/2019 at 9:20 PM, 1972coronet said:

Was James Osterberg , Sr. , a cool guy ? 

Not when he kicked us out of class one day for wearing "Iggy Pop Rules!" T-shirts.... ???

Seems like him and his son didn't get along to well..... Gee!, I wonder why???.... ??

On 7/13/2019 at 9:07 AM, Mike999 said:

Also also: the quirky 1987 movie "Border Radio."  With Dave Alvin of The Blasters, of course, since that's his signature song right there in the title.  Also starring John Doe from X and a passel of other people from the 1980's Los Angeles Cowpunk and Roots-Rock scene.  Turner Classic Movies shows it occasionally.

The lead in that film is played by Chris D., who fronted a band called The Flesh Eaters. Their "supergroup" line-up with John Doe and DJ Bonebrake from X, Dave Alvin and Bill Bateman from The Blasters, and Steve Berlin from Los Lobos reunited a few years ago for a series of shows. Those guys can still tear it up!

20779630221_4b1ca55d92_b.jpg

Edited by RancheroSteve

1 hour ago, Deuces said:

Not when he kicked us out of class one day for wearing "Iggy Pop Rules!" T-shirts.... ???

Seems like him and his son didn't get along to well..... Gee!, I wonder why???.... ??

That's funny ! I can imagine some sort of Freudian thing going on at that time ( early 70's you stated ? ) , esp. with all of the trouble that junior was causing ; the path he'd followed and such .

2 hours ago, RancheroSteve said:

The lead in that film is played by Chris D., who fronted a band called The Flesh Eaters. Their "supergroup" line-up with John Doe and DJ Bonebrake from X, Dave Alvin and Bill Bateman from The Blasters, and Steve Berlin from Los Lobos reunited a few years ago for a series of shows. Those guys can still tear it up!

I bet!  I'm so old, I saw X once at the Raymond Theater in Pasadena, a/k/a Perkins Palace. It was built around 1921. On-topic for this group, from the Cinema Treasures website: "One delightful feature of the theatre was the fire curtain which had a wonderful painting on it, donated by the Hull Motor Company, showing one of their models of a Hull car, pictured against a backdrop of Half Dome Mountain in Yosemite Park." 

3 hours ago, Mike999 said:

I bet!  I'm so old, I saw X once at the Raymond Theater in Pasadena, a/k/a Perkins Palace.

The older guys in the neighborhood turned us on to The Stooges, Nugent, MC5, New York Dolls, Roky Erickson, etc.

I saw Iggy and The Stooges at Max's Kansas City in July 1973 with my friends. This was Scott Thurston's first gig with the group. Nobody ever got carded back then. ;) :D