Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Ford Torino Talladega

mrmike

I found another model on the shelf that needs a rebuild.  My '69 Torino Talladega!  If I can find another set of decals for the Talladega, then I'll repaint the body.  I'll take apart whatever I can safely take apart and repaint and/or repair it.

More to come...

Talladega01.JPG

Talladega02.JPG

Talladega03.JPG

I continued breaking down the Talladega today.  Some parts are coming off with the flick of a finger and others are requiring a little more effort.  So far, nothing has been broken!  I removed the grille, rear panel and the side mirrors easily.  Time for a good bath!

More to come...

Talladega04.JPG

Talladega05.JPG

Talladega06.JPG

I've been thinking about the wheels and tires for this rebuild.  The kit wheelbacks seem to be a tad soft around the edge of the rim.  I decided on a set of Pegasus Chrome Shuey's with tires to replace them with.  Then I drilled the distributor and heads for plug wires and I repainted the rear differential and the air cleaner and made a set of shocks for the rear.

More to come...

Talladega07.JPG

Talladega08.JPG

Talladega09.JPG

I spent some time on the Talladega chassis this morning.  Repainted the chassis and suspensions, detailing the suspensions,and adding the wheels and tires.  The engine is coming along slowly.  The distributor and the heads have been drilled for plug wires and paint touchups on the block.  The hood and body were washed and now I am thinking more about painting the body and not worry about the decals.

More to come...

Talladega10.JPG

Talladega11.JPG

Talladega12.JPG

Thanks Guido!

Been working on the Talladega today.  I added the distributor and fanned out the wires to be criss-crossed later.  I'll make a ignition coil as well.  When I removed the fan and belt assembly, I broke the mounting pins.  I drilled the water pump, engine block and the fan belt assembly for new pins.  This should tell you a lot.  I was on a 4-speed kick when I built this model, so I drill a hole into the floorboard for a parts box Hurst shifter with T-handle even though the transmission was a C6 automatic.  I filled the hole and will added embossing powder and paint it all flat black.

More to come...

Talladega13.JPG

Talladega14.JPG

Talladega15.JPG

I know, I know...it's humid outside, but it's nice and cool here in the house.  I decide to paint the Talladega this afternoon with Model Master Royal Blue Pearl over Model Master White Primer and it looks really good!  I'll let this dry for a few days and go from there.

More to come...

Talladega16.JPG

Talladega17.JPG

Talladega18.JPG

I have finished rehabbing the interior.  Since I used flat black on the entire interior, I coated everything but the floor with Model Master Semi Gloss Clear Lacquer.  I misted several coats and it didn't interact with the enamel paint I used twenty years ago.  The floor was flocked with black embossing powder and I misted a couple of coats of Model Master Flat Black Lacquer over the embossing powder.  I created a new shift lever for the automatic transmission with a piece of thin sprue.  A mockup with the chassis.  I need to finish wiring the engine and add the radiator hoses and the air cleaner.

More to come...

Talladega19.JPG

Talladega20.JPG

Talladega21.JPG

Thanks Tom and Bob!

Bob, I took the pictures maybe five minutes after I had finished painting the Talladega.  The paint was still wet then.  I have A/C in the house and it had been running for several day straight until it rained.  Now I am having an elecrical issue with the outside lights tripping the breaker.  If it isn't one thing, it's another!

Well, it was bound to happen...I broke the windshield into two pieces.  A simple fix, just need a piece of clear plastic, trace out a new windshield and glue it in place.  Done!

More to come...

Talladega28.JPG

Talladega29.JPG

Talladega30.JPG