Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Rebox of the Italeri 378 Long Hauler

Found this browsing around online. As someone who's been looking for these (since they seem to have disappeared from hobby store shelves) I welcome it. The throwback box art is nice too, looks like the second issue of the original T500 California Hauler, which I'm just fine with.

longhauler.JPG

7 hours ago, Jim B said:

Nice box art.  Has AMT ever reboxed Italeri kits?  I'm suspicious.

This is the first as far as I know of, though in the mid to late 80s AMT did rebox the Back to the Future DeLorean from Aoshima and also a Lexus LS400. As far as I know, the only one to rebox Italeri kits up to this point had been Revell of Germany and Testors did rebox the Freightliner FLD 120 and container trailer along with some of Italeri's car kits also. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have this now. It's molded in black (chassis components, engine), white (body), silver (one set of wheels?), light grey (interior) and lots of chrome (rest of the wheels, fuel tanks, stacks, fenders).  Tires are molded on a flexible tree with detailed manufacturer sidewalls.

Decals to match the box art, full dash decals too which is nice. Option to paint the raised detail on the dash as well if you don't want to sand it flat for the decal.

I've never done a big truck with a multi part cab (roof, doors, walls, multi part sleeper walls) so this will be interesting. Hood and fenders are thankfully one piece. 

Chris, that sounds like Italeri Plastic in an AMT/Round2 box. Round2 normally molds in only one colour. I am not surprised however, as putting baged shots of your own plastic in somebody elses box is a common thing nowadays.

Here is the Italeri page.

https://www.italeri.com/en/product/2395/7/34

Note that the Silver Sprue of wheels is common to every Italeri truck kit.

Edited by alexis

7 minutes ago, alexis said:

Chris, that sounds like Italeri Plastic in a Revell box. Revell normally molds in only one colour. I am not surprised however, as putting baged shots of your own plastic in somebody elses box is a common thing nowadays.

Here is the Italeri page.

https://www.italeri.com/en/product/2395/7/34

Note that the Silver Sprue of wheels is common to every Italeri truck kit.

It's Italeri plastic in an AMT box.

I'm still not sure who this kit is aimed at exactly.  The MSRP on this is a buck or two HIGHER than the one for the actual Italeri kit.  Even a good hobby shop that's gonna come down off MSRP, is probably still going to have a better deal than this rebox, especially if they want to move the Italeri kit off the shelf before this shows up.  It would be a nice deal for it, if you can get one at Hobby Lobby, but even then it's still an odd Pete. I can probably count on my hands without adding toes the number of 378s I've ever seen in person in 21 yrs of driving being used the way the box art suggests.  The 379 was the Petercar 98% of people bought, the 378 was a HD shorter wheelbase truck that was never really designed to be a "long haul" truck.  More like something you'd drag around construction equipment with, and needed a bunk just in case you got stuck out on a site.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2019 at 5:58 PM, hpiguy said:

I have this now. It's molded in black (chassis components, engine), white (body), silver (one set of wheels?), light grey (interior) and lots of chrome (rest of the wheels, fuel tanks, stacks, fenders).  Tires are molded on a flexible tree with detailed manufacturer sidewalls.

Decals to match the box art, full dash decals too which is nice. Option to paint the raised detail on the dash as well if you don't want to sand it flat for the decal.

I've never done a big truck with a multi part cab (roof, doors, walls, multi part sleeper walls) so this will be interesting. Hood and fenders are thankfully one piece. 

Molded in typical Italeri fashion: the (almost non-visible) inside rear wheels in silver, the outside wheels in chrome!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2019 at 11:58 AM, hpiguy said:

Italeri has been doing this for 30 years.  The cabs are much more accurate.

Get with the program!

12 hours ago, hpiguy said:

Definitely worth yelling over for sure.

Thanks.

Unfortunately Chris he thinks he's all that and a bag of chips when it comes to the model truck world, just do what I've done for years and just ignore him and move on and have fun with the build! 

Italeri has been doing that for many years with their truck kits which this AMT kit is just a rebox of, but just take it slow and easy and use the the floors as a jig to get all the rest of the pieces of the cab and sleeper pieces aligned and it will turn out fine. That has been the way I have done many of my Italeri truck kits and I've never had cab or sleeper alignment issues, even with this huge 180 inch custom partially scratchbuilt and partially kit sleeper. The middle of it is mine, the front and rear is from the base Ford LTL 9000 Italeri kit. 

HPIM1625.thumb.JPG.848f97d43656fddb4f7e1de3cd855c6f.JPG

HPIM4781.thumb.JPG.8fe01aa720744e8c7f860d2306f779f6.JPG 

3 hours ago, highway said:

Unfortunately Chris he thinks he's all that and a bag of chips when it comes to the model truck world, just do what I've done for years and just ignore him and move on and have fun with the build! 

Yes I do and I will continue to haunt your brain!

And if you don't like my opinions, oh well!