Model Cars Magazine Forum

Time travel.

landman

Between 2004 and 2013 I restored a 1934 Chevrolet which had belonged to my dad. So, the other day I loaded it and myself into the cargo bay of the time travelling machine and flew to meet him in 1942, three years before he bought the car. The conversation was interesting to say the least:

• Me:"Hi"
  • Him: "Hi.Where did you get that car?"
  • Me: "Behind your father in law's shed, where you left it."
  • Him: "How can that be, I'm not even married".
  • Me: "Trust me ,you will get married and you will buy this car from Joachim."
  • Him: "My brother? He doesn't own a car and by the way, who are you? You seem to know my family."
  • Me: "I am your son."
  • Him: "You are freaking me out sir. You are at least 40 years older than me, how do you explain that?"
  • Me: "That, my dear father, would be very, very complicated to explain."
  •  

So we took a picture.

2019 07 12 AUTO ANATOLE PATRICE DROITE NOIR BLANC - Copy.jpg

Edited by landman

18 minutes ago, Flat32 said:

Did he already know your Mom at the time you went to?

He likely did as they lived in a tiny village of about 300.However,  during the war he wasn't home, he worked in the shipyards in Sorel, QC building corvettes and destroyers. Joachim told me he was the one who put the rifling in the big guns. While he was there, he caught up with some of his cousins on his mother's side, his mother having died when he was 8 . After my grandfather remarried, they kind of lost touch with their mother's family. So when he was there he had met an uncle and aunt as well as their daughter and her husband. The photo we used was taken during that visit.

9 -Anatole Mars 1942.jpg

Anatole & Adélard St-Martin.jpg

Anatole et Yvette St-Martin.jpg

2 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Loved this! Good thing you had some nice clear photos to work with.

(He may have been about 25 years too early to say "freaking me out", unless he did some time travel himself tango_face_grin.png.f30e83c0a60a81e9db7b3c967d5df75d.png)

:P Never thought about that.

I sort of played with photoshop time travel for this: My mom with her friend's car in the late '40s.

5d2a98c63bdcc_Momherfriends38NashLafayette.thumb.jpg.4fbd9f568fcfcc9ff0d04f765f50f10c.jpg

She remembered it as a LaSalle, but that didn't look right to me. After a whole lot of Googling I IDed it as a '38 Nash Lafayette:

1938nashlafayette4dr110810.jpg.7686c24175fb06ab01d5bffcaded4529.jpg

Turns out Mom was half right - it was named after a famous Frenchman whose name began with "La"... So I combined the two images to get a complete car; luckily the backgrounds were similar although the angle wasn't quite perfect:

5d2a9af30157e_Momherfriends38NashLafayette2.jpg.927744403611064ffe27003614c255ed.jpg