Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis - Monogram Customizing Auto Engine kit

That may be tough to get produced. It's not only the injection molded parts, but a motor, gears, shafts, wiring etc.  I don't have this exact kit, but I was going through my Revell large slant six kit and saw all the various bits of hardware that comprised the kit.  Major undertaking.

They'll have to source (or recreate) the electrical hardware like battery tabs and other connectors, and find a motor that fits.  All of that stuff will in all likelihood come from overseas.  Depending on the number of these that Atlantis expects to produce, it might actually be easier to do now than at any time since the kit was in production first time around.

I hope they make this, and it would be fine with me if it was just static, without the motorized stuff. Hopefully, that would take any problems off the table. These would be great for the Monogram T's and 32's especially with all the extra intake options. 

8 hours ago, larman said:

I hope they make this, and it would be fine with me if it was just static, without the motorized stuff. Hopefully, that would take any problems off the table. These would be great for the Monogram T's and 32's especially with all the extra intake options. 

agreed, skip the electrics

48 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

I have one without the electronics (motor) not sure if that's the way it came or it's just missing.

I'll have to dig it out and have a look.

My understanding from the Atlantis sit was the clear parts were missing

Is the only clear part the very front of the engine block?

On 7/13/2019 at 9:58 AM, Greg Myers said:

I understand Atlantis has the molds for this and is working on getting it up and running.

It was mentioned back in January, and here on the forum by Doug, when Atlantis posted it on their facebook page, so not sure why this is considered news:

image.png.7698088359108926903916aece643980.png

Edited by Casey

I agree with a couple of the other folks. Forget about the motorized stuff. Would love to have a couple of these built up with the different intake and exhaust options but not willing to pay the buy in price that even a vintage builder kit sells for.

42 minutes ago, Toner283 said:

I agree with a couple of the other folks. Forget about the motorized stuff. Would love to have a couple of these built up with the different intake and exhaust options but not willing to pay the buy in price that even a vintage builder kit sells for.

No interest in the electric motor....happy to buy w/o!!!!

But another issue for Atlantis (from what I understand) is they don't have the ability to chrome plate parts in house. So if they are out sourced....added cost to a fringe kit. 

I'd say we tell Atlantis to just run it without chrome plating.......I'll do that with the spray chromes out there now. I can see them doing that if we let them know. 

52 minutes ago, Toner283 said:

I agree with a couple of the other folks. Forget about the motorized stuff.

6 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

No interest in the electric motor....happy to buy w/o!!!!

...I'd say we tell Atlantis to just run it without chrome plating.......I'll do that with the spray chromes out there now. I can see them doing that if we let them know. 

Yup. Just get them coming out the door. I bought several of these as partial builder kits, or started, etc., assuming the tooling was long gone...which I believe was the prevailing wisdom for some time.

It would be great to have these things available again for something like reasonable money.

Sorry. I don't think its practical to issue the kit without the chrome. It would impact the sales. The average modeler doesn't necessarily know about the chrome paints and silver plastic isn't going to cut it.  Besides Atlantis has done son of rad baron which has chrome so they have a way to do the chrome.

• 8 months later...
On 7/16/2019 at 6:38 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yup. Just get them coming out the door. I bought several of these as partial builder kits, or started, etc., assuming the tooling was long gone...which I believe was the prevailing wisdom for some time.

It would be great to have these things available again for something like reasonable money.

Always the Nay Sayers. It really gets old. 

16 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Well the big question is what is missing and how much is missing May just not be economically feasible.

Atlantis knows exactly what is missing, and it sounded like it was enough to push it into the "maybe later" pile.

4 hours ago, Dave Van said:

And now we know why Revell/Monogram  never did it......

Possibly. Perhaps they had better/more info that such an offering wouldn't be a great sales success, too. 

Edited by Casey