Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped Top 1965 Riviera

tim boyd

Recent completion of a project started about 15 years ago.  You can read about how I chopped the top in the "How To" section of the other magazine's website, or check out the June, 2006 issue of the same magazine.   

The model was built mostly box stock other than the scale 3" top chop.  The paint is airbrushed Cobra Colors Sunrise Pearl Yellow over Gloss Black, followed by rattle can gloss clear.   The interior is white pearl with BareMetal Gold Foil accents.  

The entire story on completing the project is covered here, along with more photos of the in-process and completed model.  

Meantime, here are some photos.....and thanks for looking.  TIM 

DSC 1307DSC 1275

DSC 1305

DSC 1287DSC 1301
DSC 1318

Thanks everyone for your comments.  

Interesting about the wheels and tires.  The ones on the car are clearly era-correct.  Still, I wonder if I should change them to the 18"/five spoke alloy style modern wheels and tires.  

But then if I do that, I might want to swap in the better detailed 425 Nailhead from the AMT-Ertl 1966 Riviera kit,,,,,and then dechrome the front and rear bumper units, tweak them for better fit, then send them out for plating.  Still, if I do that, I might never get the model back to finished form.  

Of course, I could do a second model in its entirely and fix all those things I don't like about the first one.  But then that would have to take its place in the future projects list, and to be honest it would be well down the list.  

Best then, to probably leave it as is.  Glad to know you guys like it as presented. 

Best....TIM 

18 hours ago, maltsr said:

Many thanks for the article Tim, it gave me the courage to attempt my first ever roof chop and I was stoked with the result.

65 Riv.JPG

Paul....great to hear you took the top-chopping plunge.....and with excellent results to boot!  I too am stoked with your results!  Way to go....TIM

On 7/16/2019 at 9:17 PM, Snake45 said:

GREAT Riv, Tim! Don't even THINK of changing the wheels/tires. What you've got on there now is a completely timeless look. If you want a different look, build another one! B) Well done and model on! B)

I've considered building another, Richard.  Believe me, I've considered it!  TIM