Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lakes-Inspired 29 Model A Hot Rod

CabDriver

My wife went to visit family out of state this weekend, and she surprised me with this Mod Rod kit the morning that she left (presumably to keep me busy, and out of trouble whilst she's not here :D )

2v2ECpaNgxue8Lf.jpg

For those who don't know, you get two complete kits in this box - the Mod Rod (front) and enough bits to build another variation too.  I'm going to use that second kit to build a lakes-inspired traditional hot rod...not necessarily something old and crusty, but definitely traditional.  Maybe like if Austin Speed Shop built you something like this?

I'll be using the 4-banger engine, with all the race bits fitted - plus some extra detailing to really make it shine, hopefully.

2v2ECPJgdxue8Lf.jpg

As is traditional, engine halves are the first step of any good build :D  I like that Plastruct glue for most jobs, but there were some gaps between the two halves even after filing the edges as flat as I could manage, so I used the thicker Tamiya glue in this instance:

2v2ECPJMrxue8Lf.jpg

A quick mock-up to get an idea of how this thing sits, out of the box:

2v2ECPE95xue8Lf.jpg

I KNOW it's the way things were done back in the 30s and 40s, but these things always look too high to me.  I'm not going to mess with the frame or trying to get it much lower, I'd like to make it faithful to the era that I'm trying to represent - but also I didn't want to build something I didn't like either :D  So, after some some deliberation I decided to give the body a cheat's-channel and drop the front of it to give it a little rake and attitude.    Before:

2v2ECkvsCxue8Lf.jpg

And after:

2v2ECkvhLxue8Lf.jpg

I tried to get the body to meet the frame at the front corner, but have the base of the distributor level with the top of the cowl to make it look balanced - I think I'm happy with how it sits right now!  Of course, I need to chop the grill shell now, and then take another look with that in place, but it's a start!

2v2ECkUcLxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ECkUnCxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ECk9vSxue8Lf.jpg

More soon, soon as I've done more! :D

the AMT '29 Roadster is a great kit for post war Lakesters and TROG style racers...heres my latest version...Z'ed and channeled with a '48 flathead topped with resin Eddie Meyer speed parts from Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland.

20190511_123026.jpg

Edited by styromaniac

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks fellas :D

Next job after cheat-channeling the body was to level out the grill shell.  I wanted it to sit flush with the top of the front of the cowl, which sits at about 39 scale inches right now:

2v2ECqjBhxue8Lf.jpg

Gonna need to do a decent chop, plus mount it a little lower to get it sitting right:

2v2ECqj7Wxue8Lf.jpg

A little cutting and relocating later, and I think it's about there:

2v2ECqjjgxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ECq82Fxue8Lf.jpg

Those molded-in friction shocks on the AMT frame were bothering me, so I sliced them off and I'll replace them with some of these Replicas and Miniatures ones, which are MUCH better:

2v2ELihqyxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ELFcsUxue8Lf.jpg

Before I can mount the rear ones I wanted to get a floor made - this kit comes with a little interior tub but not a proper floor like the 1:1 would have...so I photocopied the body and used that as a template to scratch build one from some sheet:

2v2ELFwojxue8Lf.jpg

Still in progress here, but on it's way...

2v2ELFfi3xue8Lf.jpg

2v2ELFfGjxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ELFfdoxue8Lf.jpg

And corrected those rear arches to make them outies rather than innies:

2v2ELFA7zxue8Lf.jpg

More soon, soon as I've done more :D

I'm enjoying it Eric, thanks for the nice words!  Always enjoy seeing your hot rod builds!

Couple of small updates, as I'm replying anyway...fabricated the cover for where the spring mount was popping through the frame (thanks to a slither of a plastic spoon )

2v2Eg95Y8xue8Lf.jpg

Hacked up the the kit interior tub...

2v2Eg95LNxue8Lf.jpg

...to make a driver's seat (only one seat in this one...)

2v2Eg9rZ8xue8Lf.jpg

[excuse the disjointed posts - getting the 404 error]

I also scratchbuilt a dash with a nice big center gauge, starter button on the left and some bead-rolled-looking detail:

2v2Eg9rFrxue8Lf.jpg

Oh, and spotted some ruby-looking beads at Michaels that made me think "that might make a cool shifter" - not sure if it'll stay or not, but it's in the running!

2v2Eg9rk8xue8Lf.jpg

More soon, soon as I've done more! :D

I see all of them fine. I love what your doing with this build. I would toss the old stock distributor & get a newer style, it would sit a little lower and be used on an engine with all those speed parts. Keep going I can't wait to see more.

1930-model-a-ford-coupe-riley-overhead-valve-banger-4-cylinder-engine-good-title-9.jpg

That engine photo is an excellent choice for a vintage power plant for your project with lots of visible details and colors to be used for the various parts as well. your parts choices up to this point are excellent and period appropriate. Thanks for sharing.I'll be watching.

On 7/28/2019 at 9:26 AM, mchook said:

I see all of them fine. I love what your doing with this build. I would toss the old stock distributor & get a newer style, it would sit a little lower and be used on an engine with all those speed parts. Keep going I can't wait to see more.

1930-model-a-ford-coupe-riley-overhead-valve-banger-4-cylinder-engine-good-title-9.jpg

This pic is GREAT!  Thanks for posting Mark!  What a great reference pic!  

Advice on the distributor much appreciated (I'm learning a lot about these old Model As, but I definitely need pointers like this), so I scratched up a replacement for the kit part - still need to spend a few minutes making a coil but is roughly how it'll look:

2v2EgBJijxue8Lf.jpg

I also replaced the starter with an aluminum part from my parts box (I think it's actually meant to be an oil filter but it looks better than the molded in part anyway...

Next job was to fix this bent linkage on the rear axle (the top one of the two), so I did it how I'd do it if I was doing this for real in 1950 or so, and replaced it with some tube...easy for a backyard kinda mechanic to do and probably a little stronger as well:

2v2EgBE9zxue8Lf.jpg

2v2EgBEQMxue8Lf.jpg

Whilst I was working on the rear axle, the mounting slots for the leaf spring aren't a good fit AT ALL, so I drilled them out and inserted some styrene-tube receivers so that I can insert pins in the leaf spring and have it all slide together nicely for final assembly:

2v2EgBE12xue8Lf.jpg

Oh, and finally whilst I was cleaning up the edges of that scratchbuilt dash I thought it would be cool to have a working needle in the speedometer :D

2v2EgBZtExue8Lf.jpg

More soon, soon as I've done more!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dennis!

A little update, seeing as I'm getting some stuff one on this...

Got the engine painted, having ground off that lower hose that runs to the rad and scratchbuilt another.  I made some rubber hose end-pieces and used the smallest diameter solder I could find to make some hose clamps (see Mchook's pic of a 1:1 above to see roughly what I was aiming for...)

2v2EG26jzxue8Lf.jpg

Got the head detailed with PE bolts and installed (with gasket between it and the block):

2v2EG2tKoxue8Lf.jpg

Edited by CabDriver

Drilled out the moulded-in bolt on the oilpan and replaced it with one from a model railroad bolt set (complete with rubber seal):

2v2EG2t73xue8Lf.jpg

The lower front of the engine is mostly hidden when it's installed, but I added the bolt detail that the kit misses anyway...plus some PE bolt heads to hold the pulleys on:

2v2EG2tn3xue8Lf.jpg

Still plenty to go, but its starting to look like an engine!

2v2EG2t5Mxue8Lf.jpg

Need to tighten those head bolts to squash that gasket down a little :D

Edited by CabDriver

Spent a while trying to find the perfect blue for this - I wanted something a bit deeper than the standard 'Ford Dark Blue' - I tried a few concotions with the airbrush paints I had around here but they weren't quite right.  My wife wanted to run to CVS last night though, and I spotted this...perfect!

2v2EGEaDzxue8Lf.jpg

I misted it on nice and light for the first couple of coats, to make sure I wasn't going to have any crazing or weird issues...seemed ok!

2v2EGEaMvxue8Lf.jpg

And after seven or eight coats (with some wetsanding in-between) we've got a blue body!

2v2EGQ5cLxue8Lf.jpg

I tried to keep the pressure low on the airbrush to stop that graining that you get when you shoot it, and it mostly worked - its a little lumpy in a couple of spots (and almost completely flat in finish from adding the thinner) but I'm going to let it harden, wet sand it back once more and then hit it with some clear!

More soon!

Edited by CabDriver

On 8/13/2019 at 3:29 PM, CabDriver said:

Drilled out the moulded-in bolt on the oilpan and replaced it with one from a model railroad bolt set (complete with rubber seal):

2v2EG2t73xue8Lf.jpg

The lower front of the engine is mostly hidden when it's installed, but I added the bolt detail that the kit misses anyway...plus some PE bolt heads to hold the pulleys on:

2v2EG2tn3xue8Lf.jpg

Still plenty to go, but its starting to look like an engine!

2v2EG2t5Mxue8Lf.jpg

Need to tighten those head bolts to squash that gasket down a little :D

Just an experiment to see if quoting a post gets the pics to reappear...sorry for the multiple posts!

Edited by CabDriver