Model Cars Magazine Forum

Buddy Baker '73 Charger

SCRWDRVR

16 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

Here we go... :)

There's a theory about Petty Blue- that there is an "early" version (approx. 1960-1969) and a later version which was used after that. I'm not sure of the exact changeover, but I think it's true. I think that 90's Testor's Petty Blue might have been a decent match for "early" Petty Blue, which was a bit lighter, more gray and less green/ less brilliant than the later shade. The '84 Grand Prix would definitely have used the later shade.

I think Tamiya TS-23 in spray is a decent match for late Petty Blue. Maybe you can get a can of that and respray that Grand Prix of yours.

Now for Petty Red- that's the tough one. The story with that paint is that it changed often, was unstable (it faded quickly, so they would have to reapply constantly) AND it never photographed the same way twice.   

I can't make a good recommendation for the Petty Red, except for: experiment. Find something that seems to fit your memory, or your preference. Even if you match it with a sample, you might still not be happy with it.

Personally, I'm not happy with the "nuclear florescent orange" option that some people use. In my mind, I see that color as a bright red, based on all of the pictures I've seen of those cars over the years. People that have seen them at races seem to vividly recall that they were "nuclear fluorescent orange", so that's what they would tend towards. I won't be trying a Petty Red-and-Blue for awhile, but eventually, I plan on building a circa-1975 1/16 Petty Car. I did a body up for a '73 Petty Car many years ago, and used Tru Match for both the blue and the red. The blue was perfect, but the fluorescent red bothered me. I ended up coating the red with a mix of brushed-on Testor's reds. I was getting closer to what I wanted, I can't remember the mix I used, but eventually I got discouraged with it and sold it off.  

I'm happy with the blue just seems I can't find anything that makes me happy for the red, I think it's because I see one color and know that's not right. I've seen the Petty cars over the years (mostly late 80's and 90's) in person and those never seemed as bright as I hear it should be but definitely brighter than the pictures you see. i honestly don't need it to be perfect but I do want it to be reasonably close but that large swing in color almost makes it impossible to find something that I'm satisfied with.

14 hours ago, bbowser said:

As others have said, what looks "right" to you.  I saw the car in person at Dover in '83 (my first Cup race) and was blown away by the brightness (read fluorescent) of the red..  TV and magazine photos did not do it justice.

Yeah that is what makes it hard to make me happy with a color choice, I can't decide what makes me happy with it...  It's funny that you saw it at Dover since that's were I live LOL...

11 hours ago, SCRWDRVR said:

Yeah that is what makes it hard to make me happy with a color choice, I can't decide what makes me happy with it...  It's funny that you saw it at Dover since that's were I live LOL...

Love that track, been there twice - '83 and '84!  Liked it better as asphalt instead of concrete.

1 hour ago, bbowser said:

I’ve been there a bunch of times over the years as I’m sure you figured, I liked it better as asphalt also but it’s great because they is almost no bad places to sit.... I ready want to go to Richmond

I think that for an out of the box build of either kit , Baker or Petty readily available paint is a fine way to go . Unless you’re modifying both kits to be prototypically correct the color is a moot point. I have just started on both kits ( original issue on both ) and that’s the route I will take. I also will do both as accurate as I can with the current reissues, for those,  aftermarket decals , correcting the chassis and bodies and most certainly paint as correct as. possible will happen ! In the end what ever looks good to your own eye is all that counts!

58 minutes ago, PettyKW43 said:

I think that for an out of the box build of either kit , Baker or Petty readily available paint is a fine way to go . Unless you’re modifying both kits to be prototypically correct the color is a moot point. I have just started on both kits ( original issue on both ) and that’s the route I will take. I also will do both as accurate as I can with the current reissues, for those,  aftermarket decals , correcting the chassis and bodies and most certainly paint as correct as. possible will happen ! In the end what ever looks good to your own eye is all that counts!

I will build it pretty much box stock but the Petty car is a fine example of I want it to look as much like the real car a possible built in that method, I’m sure I will sooner or later finish that Petty car

They build up well ! And they do look right out of the box. When it comes to prototypically correct , the two cars are very different from one another, but these days there is a lot of references out there to do an accurate build.

• 1 month later...

I have read over the years that Huggar orange and Hemi Orange are the same color. Don't know about Poppy Red but again MRN radio, back in the day, described the K&K Dodge as a tomato red. HPIguy who does tutorials on Youtube about building models used TS-23 for Petty Blue and Tamiya Bright red for the red color and it looked great. I do believe real Petty red is Fluorescent but doesn't always photograph the same color.

3 hours ago, Vietnam Vet67 said:

In my collection of "Motorsports model CARDS" it says to use Model Master 2719 Italian Red or Testors 1203 red.

For the Baker car? Or the Petty car ? We kind of got both in question now lol... but I’m betting Baker