Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone watch Ripley's Believe It or Not? tonight 7/14/2019

On the show tonight, a fellow and friends built a 1:1 Bugatti Chiron from Lego blocks and triangular elements created for this build.  They used the actual wheels and tires and a metal hub to help hold the 1 1/2 tons of Legos they used.  When they finished, they took it to the track and it ran 26 mph or kph(not sure which) with an electric motor.  The build was incredible because the Lego car looked like a twin of the real thing.  Ripley's airs on the Travel channel.

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

The same could be said for anyone that builds things that serve no real purpose. Such as plastic models. Or Lego. Or hot rods. Why put the effort in to that?

I guess if you don't see a difference, there's no use arguing the point. It's simply a matter of personal perspective and preferences and interests. And I was actually kinda hoping somebody really WOULD explain what's cool about a huge Lego thing that does nothing. I'd like to know if I'm missing something here.

But I'll say this...plastic models for me are a creative outlet to build in scale things I'd build in reality if I had unlimited funds. Which is why out-of-the-box stock vehicles don't interest me much, though I certainly admire the work of those who excel at building in that style. Building real hot-rods, from my own perspective, takes a pile of cast-off junk and unrelated bits and turns it into a viable, useful machine. But I have little interest in catalog-specials that are "professionally" built, laden with CNC-machined billet this and CAD-designed that, and 3D-printed everything else...or send-piles-of-money-so-you-can-buy-a-little-individuality contemporary vehicles either.

A friend's daughter LOVES Legos, she shows tremendous original thought and creativity in what she builds, and she's making mental connections as to how things actually work in physical reality. She shows every indication of being a gifted engineer.

But I personally fail to see the point of making a useless full-scale replica of a manufactured product with Legos...unless, of course, it's for marketing attention-getting. Then it makes perfect sense.

In the end, it's just a matter of different strokes. As they say, "It's all good", but I don't have to get it.

EDIT: I guess I should stay with the wise old adage that goes something like "if you can't lavish something with fawning praise, it's best to say nothing at all; you will be less universally despised." B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I guess if you don't see a difference, there's no use arguing the point. It's simply a matter of personal perspective and preferences and interests. And I was actually kinda hoping somebody really WOULD explain what's cool about a huge Lego thing that does nothing. I'd like to know if I'm missing something here.

But I'll say this...plastic models for me are a creative outlet to build in scale things I'd build in reality if I had unlimited funds. Which is why out-of-the-box stock vehicles don't interest me much, though I certainly admire the work of those who excel at building in that style. Building real hot-rods, from my own perspective, takes a pile of cast-off junk and unrelated bits and turns it into a viable, useful machine. But I have little interest in catalog-specials that are "professionally" built, laden with CNC-machined billet this and CAD-designed that, and 3D-printed everything else...or send-piles-of-money-so-you-can-buy-a-little-individuality contemporary vehicles either.

A friend's daughter LOVES Legos, she shows tremendous original thought and creativity in what she builds, and she's making mental connections as to how things actually work in physical reality. She shows every indication of being a gifted engineer.

But I personally fail to see the point of making a useless full-scale replica of a manufactured product with Legos...unless, of course, it's for marketing attention-getting. Then it makes perfect sense.

In the end, it's just a matter of different strokes. As they say, "It's all good", but I don't have to get it.

EDIT: I guess I should stay with the wise old adage that goes something like "if you can't lavish something with fawning praise, it's best to say nothing at all; you will be less universally despised." B)

I don't despise anyone because they don't find something as interesting as I do or lavish fawning praise if it's not heart-felt..  Everyone have different tastes.  I am no where nearly accomplished as the majority of builders here and it would be great to be able to take "junk" and repurpose it.  I have a lot of respect for you, Bill, because I have learned a great deal from you and it's cool if you don't get it.  Like you said, "different strokes".

That being said, I have an autistic grandson and a nephew who has problems with hand dexterity and they both love Legos.  I guess looking thru my eyes, I found it neat because the two of them found it fascinating.  They couldn't imagine taking a million Legos and building a full size car out of them.  I grew up before Legos were as popular as they are now.  We had to make do with cardboard bricks.:lol:  

4 hours ago, Ironman63 said:

...That being said, I have an autistic grandson and a nephew who has problems with hand dexterity and they both love Legos.  I guess looking thru my eyes, I found it neat because the two of them found it fascinating.  They couldn't imagine taking a million Legos and building a full size car out of them.  I grew up before Legos were as popular as they are now.  We had to make do with cardboard bricks.:lol:  

:D I understand. And I can see why kids, pretty much any kids, would think a full-size Lego vehicle was pretty wonderful. :D

Building full-scale stuff with Lego is cool. When we travelled to the US 3 years ago we came across a full size lion in the Denver Zoo and last year I saw a full size caravan at Beaulieu, it even had eggs and bacon in the frying pan (all lego).
And lets not forget about this:

The artistic side to this fascinates me to no end.  How people can take those rectangular blocks and turn them into the 1:1 items takes an imagination and skill set I don't have.  The one thing I have always wondered is what happens to these pieces when they outlive their use.  The blocks are glued together in the bulk of these projects so they don't fall apart.  That makes them one big chunk of plastic.