Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where can I find 1/6 scale wheels & tires for a Lakester (belly tank)

I bit the bullet and ordered a 1/72 Skipjack submarine model. I think it is ideal for a belly tank LSR. Does anyone offer suitable wheels and tires or will they need to be custom made?

nice shape, eh?

thanks. Lee

Edited by LDO
Add photo

You might want to look at R/C airplane wheels and tires. I did a quick search and they come in most sizes from 9" to an inch or so. Some have very nicely detailed aluminum wheels, others have a plain plastic dish. They might be a pretty good option; I think they're sort of similar to salt tires and could be modified to be even closer.

Edited by SSNJim

I’ll check it out... in another town. The only 2 rc shops I know of in my area are run by an idiot. I bought a defective product there and they refused to give me a refund. They offered store credit only, after I paid with cash. I wouldn’t spend money there if my life depended on it. 

Being 1/6th scale they should be fairly large. Just a thought, and I don't know if it would help, but you may want to look at (4) thin, aluminum pulleys. Like something found in an old VCR perhaps. Radio Shack, Grainger, ?

You could then hopefully find O-rings to use as tires.

I’m looking for 1/6. The body will be a 1/72 Skipjack submarine hull that is 42" long. In 1/6, that equals a scale 21’. It is 5.25" in diameter, a scale 31.5”. Just about right for 1/6. It doesn’t look exactly like any specific drop/belly tank, but  to me, it just looks like a good size fuel tank. 

Not sure what I would do for an engine. I don’t want any of the available 1/6 die cast engines. There is a plastic (or mostly plastic...I think) Ford Flathead. I’m not crazy about that, but a set of Ardun heads and a S.C.o.T. Blower could remedy that. 

A 1:1 20" wheel (just as an example) will be 3.33 " in diameter in 1/6th scale. That is just the wheel, no tire. Very expensive to 3D print. Do you have a style in mind? A simple salt flat style disc would be easy enough to hand form out of aluminum sheet over a bowling ball or other large diameter object.

If you have any woodworker friends with a lathe they may be able to turn some rims out of hardwood. Fill and prime to get a smooth surface for paint.

Same thing for tires, turn out of hardwood or black Delrin plastic.

For the engine you can scratch build anything you want. Use a kit engine and photos as reference.

Mark

Edited by astroracer

Wow. That’s some big rolling stock. Makes sense, though. If G.I. Joe can drive it, it’s a big model. 

I wonder about using the bottom of a big soda/beer can for vacuforming salt flat discs. Modern cans have date codes stamped ito the bottom, so that would need to be filled in. 

Some interesting problems to solve.