Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Buick Riviera Extended Custom

Peter Lombardo

Looks like many of us are building the recent release of the Rivera.  I  am also but I didn't want to do the same old thing with it, so mine is going to be unique.  First I began opening the doors while the body was still in-tacked so I could be a bit rough on it as I was working the doors free.  When they were almost free, I shifted my attention to the roof.  As with the 1962 Buick 225 and the 1965 Pontiac Grand Prix, I am not a big fan of the squarish formal style roofs on those cars.  I changed the roofs on those two cars, so why not on this one too since I am not happy with the look of the stock roof,  I cut away the roof and molded in a vacuum formed roof I made reminiscent of the 1965 roofs from most GM 2 door coupes.  I think it just flows better and in doing so I am able to "lay down" the "A" pillar for a much more streamlined look giving the new roof a 4 inch chop from the original roof setting..  I set the roof so it flowed more to the rear making the cabin area longer and lower.   Because of the look of the longer lower roof, the rear of the car  looked too short to my eye.    So I cut the rear end off behind the rear wheels.  I then reset it 5 scale inches further back to give the rear a better flow with the new roof.  I filled the gap with strips of polystyrene and Tamiya putty to fill the gaps.  Then I completed opening the doors and added the custom front  and rear fascias.  I really like the longer rear quarter panels with this lower roof.  This car will be lowered down and get a unique paint scheme...... I thinking maybe    "Satin and Lace"  maybe, maybe not. 8kM_MudxgJGsim5465lw99C8GYOSmkTWOGyelJveRH-oLwzfClh6reKdFgwWpKWebFqq2-6I3bu6quLYRrYT1Dh9FDKsw0UpgIKJ_S_1xoJQU8YNG5D6XIebiSLNc1ZBLVBhi-hlatccgkHqdid9FdaSMaisIEmYdHGFc8QIWY7z9UEGjErHPPZHMUJS5HdAYAMlDM9ji3r7E1QqosuB6xNKiqhS0vBXP1aXJBTlg4pqp1w80LTdgbppXNjX1LMImM9Lq-QiQHmcZowB2gTSrsV21Rm1-HrejJ4JyweDHSVKGQ0Hwynf8J-tCny-upeZ

So, tell what you think about this.   

Hello Peter

Looking really nice; I just wonder about the back window. Specifically, the upper line you have pencilled in. Seems to be a bit on the high side, and I wonder about the curvature of the roof, and how compound of a curvature it is. It might help to see a perfect rear-on shot, and maybe a straight line is what is needed along its top edge, but from the rear 3/4 view, it's looking like the upper edge of your window will bow-upwards in the middle. If you add a curvature to your upper line, and lower it down a bit on the body, it might create a slimmer rear window with a more flat upper edge without any bowing.

Hopefully this ghetto quick mockup helps, thanks.

20190716_085308.jpg.a98ac16ee3440d64a22af4eb6716cfe7.jpg

Stef, thanks so much for your insight on the Rivera.  Just to be clear, the rear window lines I drew on the roof are not designed to be the exact placement of the window.  I just drew on a quick and dirty outline so views would get an idea of where the a rear window would be located.  Here is a straight on shot of the rear as you requested.bKBEbnaFXVOzBmaAPf0av1LDxpMb6_xoVVqQWtFgI think you can get a better idea of the roof curvature in this shot.  This is a similar roof I just put on a Pontiac Grand Prix UXGhpjn6IDJM0oVoySXhpmrpig-lVIJHALOWb62eAnd here n a 1962 Buick 225 coupe also with a similar roof installation6qK4uuS_NaltHbgWROAiN_r5o_UV8o6BXk9hWMzXThe rear window on the Grand Prix is a bit lower, and the window opening is higher on top, on the Buick 225, which is because I was "channeling" the "Bubble Roof" treatment from the earlier years of GM cars.  I like the lower look that you have indicated on your "ghetto" mock up.  Again thanks.  I will open up the back window with a very small opening and see how it looks since it is always easier to enlarge the opening then make it smaller.

Edited by Peter Lombardo
spelling fix

• Peter Lombardo changed the title to 1965 Buick Riviera Extended Custom
14 minutes ago, Stef said:

Do the same with your Riv, and that'll be Aces and Eights.

"Aces and Eights" is known as "The Dead Man's Hand" because supposedly that's what Wild Bill Hickock was holding when he was shot in the head. I can't quite figure out why that would be a good thing as regards a model car. :unsure: Does the expression mean something else in Canada? :huh:

It's my understanding Aces and Eights is a good hand to have; a winning hand. A hand so good Wild Bill was killed for it. If that's wrong, then:

Do the same with your Riv, and that'll be THE ACE OF SPADES... THE ACE OF SPADES

#Motorhead

You have a good eye for line and proportion, Peter.

All too often, on real cars as well, modifications are made haphazardly with no overall concept that keeps everything integrated into a pleasing whole.

I'll be following. If the Riv ends up looking as good as the other two, she'll be a stunner.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

You have a good eye for line and proportion, Peter.

All too often, on real cars as well, modifications are made haphazardly with no overall concept that keeps everything integrated into a pleasing whole.

I'll be following. If the Riv ends up looking as good as the other two, she'll be a stunner.

Thanks Bill.  All too often I look at a new car model from car makers and wonder how many designers worked on it...... no continuity, no flow and no balance.  I really appreciate your comments.

After careful inspection, something about the profile shot of the car was bothering me.  If you look at the front fender profile at the front, there is a rather significant diagonal angle downward from the top to the bottom which gives the car a more aggressive look to it.  But looking at the back, the rear end of the back profile, especially at the bottom, does not have a similar diagonal slope to it but more of a vertical line. I think the front and the back should have a similar line to it.HpedtuKn1TrJlg48tGXJ-zFFL9SIilzKP2Oler_z So I added some polystyrene to the back edge and built it up.  RdoHG4ZSScyKs7eHIPeMow5NqFdxhKRfZpjDIZPiThen I added some putty to fill in the surrounding areawrZB8J3lzprDFwxOt3a8X8_nrNcouS2FvdgoiwcwI also added twin recessed antenna openings in the rear quarter panel.  Here the door is in the open position and I have ground down much of the rear section and removed the molding which I will rebuild later.EOttL_OhtLg_Q34D81CnkyDEEoiazgMhMQ-jTw77Now the slope on both the front and rear fenders have the same diagonal slope and the front and rear look like they belong to the same vehicle.  The rear fender still needs a little more work and I have to rebuild the trim line, but I like the continuity of the fenders.

Updated pictures with the body in primer.  Just a few "rough" areas yet to correct and the body will be complete except for the tail lights, which are being cut into the back edge of the rear quarter panels.  The two holes on the rear  pan are for the exhaust  tips.  The mirrors are a resin re-pop of Prowler mirrors.  Just a few areas need some putty (left rear side window corner both the a and b pillars) and sanding attention and I have to clean up the trunk lines..... still debating whether or not to open the trunk up.YPShEerW9oNkktE3otdD-rRzPx40pCEUP5mKbqByxno-IyxfBzeizR1Z7ljsUpToQEp5dJMTFLua-bEVrh9z4guTnM7odYmnzr6synEYYFwARXDD3-g8rZVjk3z-Af6egHhnJScRIbHwJewdtfonJjbkgl45B36D46yd3sn8jbMD2LuSJZKjsOOazkYU1QHRvncqYvzMnlB96xErNaDny42wf__smTzQgHb-xTid5dGdpHLh

Edited by Peter Lombardo

In my last post I said I was thinking about opening up the trunk..... well I did....rXCESqNIRXerltd3ozjqoMVlwf0EW-KRZL7fdRn0 In this shot, note the area at the rear of the fenders where the tail lights will sit.episuLx9My05GdB3jKz65yDRcvnBuCKw0qBwIlERAfter the trunk, I was thinking about a sunroof on the car..... why not, it is a modern custom of a 54 year old car.  So I cut out a large opening in the roof for a sunroof..... the only question is should it be a sunroof (metal, well in this case, plastic) or a moonroof (glass, also plastic, just clear tinted)   A number of years ago I built a 1958 Chevy with a Chazoom roof with a remote control opening sunroof.... I doubt this one will be motorized since that was a real witch (b) to engineer.... but it is pretty coolKwH_qNnqhWGpNYkX2PnbIxIPGsiTO7YwX4Dsh5n_ Here you can also see the openings in the rear window deck for the speakers.  There will also be speakers in the doors too.JtgcP_cM1olyfuGBJaskX8fJYjDoFppCoBxQivvB I have to admit, I really like the silhouette view of the car, it is now long and low.  I am thinking about (so most likely will do) having the front seats swivel as the doors open....... I haven't built them into a car since sometime around 1963 so I think I can do a better job of them now. ziYWeqWSJipwBMKTxYfbPqB8uOH5buZHZS9J5kii I will begin finishing off the trunk interior and build the hinges for it next.

Edited by Peter Lombardo
spelling fix

• 2 weeks later...

Base coat of white on.  Wheels I am planning to use, the car may sit a little lower, not sure yet.  I have a little surprise in the trunk which you will see later.  I went with the moon roof on this, yet to be tinted and finalized, fit wise, not sure yet if it will be closed, open or vented upward.dEStie9Bd-4jjOQ4Kg2DCR7sNK_y_2ra4SMKeTe1OVrcyAKNUdseRxb4lfXMYcUdvPxfW9ICszFkB8P7pra_sQRMPDt4oSs9XN7ndVEUnCmWzcPfup2BZ9IGyou can see, there a just a few more small blemishes I need to clean up before the final base is applied.sN2ZfpMX1OQfO2IXagRxc8efv9keuv1jOqogMv3fxS7wU2B1CucQYlfdBYflZwtyzLyDXQxz0u6Yq3h1

• 2 weeks later...

I have made some progress on the Riviera.  In the interior, I have added the swivel front seats.  These will be connected to the doors so that the seat swivels out when the door opensXwvXkqu_cWDARD9ukKZMtrXQy-mR-PGwAcuY6Fm9Next here is the body with the body color on it.  The white sections are just the undercoat for the graphics that will be applied later.  I think the contrast between the pink and the white is very stark right now, but it will not be the the case once it is completed._uJQ4wz44hx3kn6isHevR5UxFRMoz5Zf_zRXZbZy5HZ5b20GHhI8WCxGWja586_z-SAMttZgQT5ZZ66QQ0NUWIFpUe20drb8hSVywAIoNELpcu14QGPsuHqUw6j6I2rA1qdSB5jp14vFIgJh2gv-RllHyI03UK5sSome of the edges of the white area are a bit ragged, but that will not be visible once completed.