Model Cars Magazine Forum

Formula1 Hot Rod

da Speedinger

6 hours ago, mrm said:

Really cool project. I love the idea. However, I think the rear of the car needs to be longer and lower, in order to stay in the spirit of F1. Right now the rear looks “bunched up”. Part of the issue is that it is trying to stay true to the Deuce proportions, but it impossible, because it wasn’t a rear engined car. That rear wing needs space and air flow to do anything. Just my two cents. And I am just expressing my personal opinion, trying to offer constructive criticism. Not putting down the craftsmanship or the effort invested. 

I agree the balance seems a little off to my eye. Just a thought, it could be as simple as hanging the wing lower and further back.  Whatever you go with it's a great build, look forward to seeing it in paint. 

Edited by FredRPG
Grammar

21 hours ago, mrm said:

Really cool project. I love the idea. However, I think the rear of the car needs to be longer and lower, in order to stay in the spirit of F1. Right now the rear looks “bunched up”. Part of the issue is that it is trying to stay true to the Deuce proportions, but it impossible, because it wasn’t a rear engined car. That rear wing needs space and air flow to do anything. Just my two cents. And I am just expressing my personal opinion, trying to offer constructive criticism. Not putting down the craftsmanship or the effort invested. 

15 hours ago, FredRPG said:

I agree the balance seems a little off to my eye. Just a thought, it could be as simple as hanging the wing lower and further back.  Whatever you go with it's a great build, look forward to seeing it in paint. 

thank you for your input guys, let's see if i can stretch the look a bit.

EDIT: here's a primitive sketch of what i could do rather easily without having to re-build the whole rear of the car, just change the position of the wing on its support. I think that's better.
Zwischenablage02.jpg.77e986ae4e09d3b367877910e8fd728d.jpg

Edited by da Speedinger

On 10/8/2019 at 10:48 AM, da Speedinger said:

At least i'll have to make the pictures in a way that the colors look correct ;)

Well, I really didn't think you were trying to duplicate the original colors but that's cool too.

I was thinking some colors that really pop since its such an extreme build.

Whatever you come up I'm sure we'll love.

17 hours ago, FredRPG said:

Yeah that does the trick, nice to see fat tires as well, they really fit the overall look.

I did not like the tyres of the MP 4/20, but i wanted to have the rims. So, tyres and rims are from different kits, but they did not fit. Had to increase the diameter of the rims with one layer of 0.5mm sheet styrene on the outside and 1mm on the inside.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I decided to make a 24th scale helmet to add to the model. The helmet is 3D printed, i have the .stl file from thingiverse. The visor is scratch built from clear plastic, mounted with metal pins. I have to make it a bit smaller cause like this it looks like a 70s helmet. Then paint in blue/silver and the visor in black.

20200113_191648.jpg.bee3096f56da921b7e0b8ecf3cb0ceca.jpg