Model Cars Magazine Forum

Phil Bonner Thunderbolt started

On 7/16/2019 at 5:00 PM, Johnt671 said:

Thanks. And I thought I was being so careful reading the directions.

Sometimes, in many kits, the directions are wrong. 

Off to a great start. The only two things I don’t like about this kit, is the way the hood fits near the grill, and that the windshield could fit better. 

Over all, it’s one of my favorite cars, and kits, of all time. I’ve built over a dozen, and plan on a “do over” of the Platt car, that I did years ago. 

I will definitely be following this build. 

4 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

just in case it matters to you.

but the T-Bolts had a black rubber floor covering , not carpet

Thanks. I did look at some pictures but didn't look far enough down the page to see that. I'll be painting my nice flocking black to correct this.

Corrected the interior floor, and found I lost the kit shifter. I found one that looks like the shifter in the picture below. I'm debating over trying to cut the vents open on the hood scoop, but I'm not sure I am skilled enough to pull that off.

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

Looking real good. This kit is easily my favorite kit to build.

as far as opening the hood vents is really not as hard as you might think

A dremel on low speed is all thats needed, I did one several years ago , then used some scrap door screen I had around to fill the opening.

Edited by gtx6970

Looks good.
But I see one thing that bothers me...the fuel, speedometer and temp gauge faces are silver on a 1964 Fairlane and also the Thunderbolt, not black.
I had a 64 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe for 12 years but sold it 3 years ago when I bought the 1963½ Galaxie 500 XL I have now.

Bildresultat för 1964 fairlane gauges

Edited by Force

Thanks Force, but it's too late, and although it's inaccurate I like the look of the gauge decals. Too bad they didn't do it right.

Other than the seats the interior is done, and the hod is painted the final color. It's a little lighter than the original, but it sure is a pretty color. I did get the hood vents open, Thanks gtx6970.

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

• 1 month later...

I didn't think it looked too bad from the pic. That shade of red looks GOOD on that T-bolt.? What color did you use on the rims? Is it straight silver? It has a nice subdued look. I can never get BMF to co- operate myself. I've waisted more money trying to get it to work, but between the adhesive being less tacky, and my fat fingers, not a good combo. Good work so far.

2 hours ago, bismarck said:

I didn't think it looked too bad from the pic. That shade of red looks GOOD on that T-bolt.? What color did you use on the rims? Is it straight silver? It has a nice subdued look. I can never get BMF to co- operate myself. I've waisted more money trying to get it to work, but between the adhesive being less tacky, and my fat fingers, not a good combo. Good work so far.

Thanks. The closer you got to it the sloppier it looked. he wheels were done first with Testors met. silver and then a wash using Testors flat black acrylic wash. The lug nuts were touched with a Molotow pen, but they don't pop all that much. The tires were sprayed with Testors dull coat which also helps the wheels out. This is the first time I've tried this on the tires, and I like the look.

• 1 month later...

I'll be posting more pictures of this one I gave up on the foil, and stripped everything off, repainted it and came up with a plan B. The first builds I did with foil came out pretty good, but I seem to have lost my touch with it. I'll post some picture soon to show where I am and go over the plan B that worked out pretty good.

Edited by Johnt671