Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '65 Chevelle Surf Wagon

Casey

48 minutes ago, alexis said:

Dang, I bought the last issue, the "Superwagon" Now, I may need one of these, if only for the boards and decals. It is re-releases like this one that open my wallet, and keep Round2 in business.  Way to go, Kats!

I'm afraid I'll have to join you, and I have a couple of old AMT-ERTL issues. The rack and surfboards, plus new decals, are tempting.  I hope they don't take out those nifty service ramps to make room!  The only issue of this kit I don't like was the one from 1987 or so. Molded in bright yellow plastic that was hard to cover with a thin coat of primer/paint. 

3 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

I hope they don't take out those nifty service ramps to make room!

The ramps have been there from the start, so not sure they would need to be replaced to include the two surfboards, but I guess we'll find out soon enough. I wouldn't mind seeing the funky rooftop cargo carrier eliminated, though:

d215cd5a-1832-4dce-8e6e-0b113153b857.jpg

b6b1989f-618e-4630-ac89-ceaf41cccf27.jpg

7 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

The only issue of this kit I don't like was the one from 1987 or so. Molded in bright yellow plastic that was hard to cover with a thin coat of primer/paint. 

:wacko:

AMT65ChevelleShowdown.jpg

10 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

Considering this reissue, but one big problem for me is the molded-in chassis details with no separate suspension pieces. Any suggestions for what might be a more-detailed chassis to drop underneath this kit?

The Revell '66 Chevelle wagon chassis would probably work with a bit of massaging.

11 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

Considering this reissue, but one big problem for me is the molded-in chassis details with no separate suspension pieces. Any suggestions for what might be a more-detailed chassis to drop underneath this kit?

The very common Revell '65 Chevelle Z16, or the equally common Revell '66 Chevelle Wagon or El Camino would work fine. All these cars had the same chassis. 

To the typical hot rod/musclecar/sports car/exotic car modeler, a '65 Chevelle wagon at first glance looks like a BORING subject. But give it a little thought and there are many, many interesting possibilities you can do with it: 

*Bone-stock "mainstreamer," either showroom fresh or weathered to one degree or another. 

*Race car tow/support car. 

*Surf wagon, either '60s or current day. 

*Commercial/company vehicle of some sort, including taxicab.

*'70s or '80s winter beater or daily driver--practice your weathering!

*Vintage Junior Stock or Modified Production drag car. 

*Current day "no prep" street racer monster. 

* Jacked-up 4X4 or Monster truck. 

I did one as a late '60s/early '70s family grocery getter turned Modified Production econoracer, and I'd like to build two or three more of them. 

AMT65Chevelle95_zpsbfe96d16.jpg

I don't know what it is about this kit but I've always liked it.  I built that ugly yellow one, with a JoHan Eldorado powertrain where the back seat used to be, and a later issue like a '70s high schooler's ride.   Definitely going to need the surf wagon issue.  

I always liked this kit. It builds up nice. Here's my take on the last reissue. A hauler to the track for the local speed shop's coupe. I know the slicks shouldn't be on a tow vehicle,  but the pad printed donuts looked too nice not to stick on. I originally built it to put over a slot car chassis,  but it was too nice with the interior in to use it for racing. The engine's just the top part sticking out of the hood. I was inspired by those old Hot Rod Magazine photos showing the fuel boys rebuilding their rails in the motel parking lot at night, working out of their station wagons. Too cool. I'll have to pick up one of the reissues to build stock now.

Jeff 

20190717_210157.jpg

20190717_210027.jpg

20190717_210319.jpg

But it's a more-door. It's nice to see what others have done with this and it's nice that it's being re-released. But it's a more-door. It would have been so cool if it had been tooled as the two-door wagon.

13 minutes ago, chepp said:

But it's a more-door. It's nice to see what others have done with this and it's nice that it's being re-released. But it's a more-door. It would have been so cool if it had been tooled as the two-door wagon.

Resin 2DW bodies are available, and of course you can always do your own conversion on the kit 4D body.