Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '65 Chevelle Surf Wagon

Casey

On 7/17/2019 at 9:32 PM, Goose1957 said:

I always liked this kit. It builds up nice. Here's my take on the last reissue. A hauler to the track for the local speed shop's coupe. I know the slicks shouldn't be on a tow vehicle,  but the pad printed donuts looked too nice not to stick on. I originally built it to put over a slot car chassis,  but it was too nice with the interior in to use it for racing. The engine's just the top part sticking out of the hood. I was inspired by those old Hot Rod Magazine photos showing the fuel boys rebuilding their rails in the motel parking lot at night, working out of their station wagons. Too cool. I'll have to pick up one of the reissues to build stock now.

Jeff 

20190717_210157.jpg

20190717_210027.jpg

20190717_210319.jpg

Hi Jeff, love what you did with this. Where did you get the engine parts? Piston and rod?

Thanks,George

11 minutes ago, gbdolfans said:

Hi Jeff, love what you did with this. Where did you get the engine parts? Piston and rod?

Thanks,George

Not Jeff, but the engine parts look like the Small Block Chevy such as was in the 66 Nova kit that you could mount on an engine stand.  The crank and piston look like extra pieces that used to be included in the AMT kits of the 60's.  I believe a camshaft was also in some.  Additionally, Detail did a set of gaskets.  In the past, RandD Unique did spark plugs, as does RB Motion now.

CCI03072010 00013

Edited by Exotics_Builder

Hmmmm...............didn't see this one coming!

I just bought a very clean builtup off the 'Bay and I might have waited for a fresh minty-mint kit. I do plan to restore that one though with an upgraded chassis from either the Z-16 or Revell '66 wagon. I may pick this one up as it should be molded in white and not that horrible yellow plastic. Box art is cool too with those surf boards! B)

This is a basic kit but builds up nicely. IIRC it has a nice set of Cragar 5 spokes in it, along with stock wheel covers. The chassis is simple but as has been pointed out, plenty of substitutes to put a detailed one underneath.

I'll likely grab one, not because I need it, but because it builds quickly and can be a slumpbuster!

8 hours ago, gbdolfans said:

Thanks,George

Hi George, thanks for the comments. As others have said, the engine block and heads are from the 66 Chevy Nova kit that I drilled out some of the extra holes in. The crankshaft was in my parts box, but probably came from one of the parts pack engine kits. The piston and rod also came from one of the many parts boxes I've accumulated over the years. I've collected about a dozen of them so far. I keep telling myself that one of these days, I'm gonna give one to Norm from Replicas and Miniatures to get some more cast for future projects. I'm not sure what kit they were originally in, but it wasn't part of the trophy.  That piston and rod is a hemi top fuel style (I have some of those also in the collection). If anybody can come up with the origin of that piston and rod, please post it as I'd like to know also. It is a Chevy style piston and rod and were originally chrome plated if that helps. Thanks,

Jeff 

9 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

IIRC it has a nice set of Cragar 5 spokes in it, along with stock wheel covers.

IMHO, the Cragar S/S rims in this kit are the most "correct looking" versions that I've seen in any kit (of course the same applies to the sister 1965 El Camino).  Center cap size and detailing look just right, and the shape of the spokes seems spot on too.  So many other kits seem to get one of these aspects wrong.

Hi

8 hours ago, Mark said:

That piston/rod unit looks like one from the Revell "accessory display items" parts pack.  Eight are included in the pack, along with two crankshafts.

Thanks Mark for the info. That sounds right, I forgot about those accessory packs.

Jeff 

7 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

IMHO, the Cragar S/S rims in this kit are the most "correct looking" versions that I've seen in any kit (of course the same applies to the sister 1965 El Camino).  Center cap size and detailing look just right, and the shape of the spokes seems spot on too.  So many other kits seem to get one of these aspects wrong.

The '37 Chevy kits have really nice ones too, IMO.

7 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

The very best Cragars I've ever seen IMHO were in the original JoHan '66 Marlin. But these run a close second. 

8 hours ago, Mark said:

The '37 Chevy kits have really nice ones too, IMO.

I got a couple of the recent "Stovebolt" reissues, admit I didn't look real close at those wheels.  Need to dig one out and take another look, thanks for the heads up!

8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The very best Cragars I've ever seen IMHO were in the original JoHan '66 Marlin. But these run a close second. 

Actually the JoHan '68 Cadillac "Boss Man" convertible also had a really nice set.  A bit narrower than the ones in the '65 Chevelle wagon, about the only demerit is that the openings were molded shut.  Very easy to sand the backsides to open them up, though.

Pairing them with the '65 wagon Cragars made for a nice big & little set, which I used for a '70s style street machine Revell '69 Camaro back in the nineties.

5 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Does it have Tampo printed tires?

I have yet to see any details beyond the two surfboards and new roof rack, but my guess would be the same, solid  direstone whitewalls the kit has previously included.

Maybe somebody who has the previous "Superwagon" can let us know which tires were included last time.

On 7/20/2019 at 2:09 PM, Exotics_Builder said:

49 Mercury kit has/had a piston assembly for a  trophy

It's there up until the late '80's Customizing Series version of the kit. The later versions (gray box art and later) lost the piston/con rod and pistol grip shifter in favor of new hop up parts for the Flathead. 

13 hours ago, disconovaman said:

So I assume there will be some new decals as well as some of the originals? Would like to see the wood grain decals in there too.

I would think so, but have yet to see anything concrete.

On 7/18/2019 at 8:04 AM, Snake45 said:

Resin 2DW bodies are available, and of course you can always do your own conversion on the kit 4D body. 

That's true. I think that if I was going in that direction I'd make a phantom '66 2DW. Here's a link to a real one for sale: http://www.2040-cars.com/Chevrolet/Chevelle/1966-chevrolet-chevelle-2-door-wagon-w-454-fresh-engine-400-turbo-trans-427566/

I'm guessing that it was made from an El Camino.