Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT Don Garlits' Wynn's Jammer Fuel Dragster

Casey

For every one of these kits built as Garlits' over the years, probably six to ten of them have been built as generic or phantom mid-'60s dragsters. You can always spot these builds because of the distinctive roll cage, which is longer and laid back at more of an angle than the typical dragsters of the day. B)

On 7/17/2019 at 9:00 PM, Snake45 said:

For every one of these kits built as Garlits' over the years, probably six to ten of them have been built as generic or phantom mid-'60s dragsters. You can always spot these builds because of the distinctive roll cage, which is longer and laid back at more of an angle than the typical dragsters of the day. B)

You could easily pass one off as an Art Malone chassis, as Garlits and Malone frequently collaborated together and as such, often shared their innovations. Kellison, the dune buggy and kit car manufacturer, briefly got into the knocked-down dragster chassis kit game around 1964 and those designs are said to be a knock off of the typical contemporary Garlits chassis

• 3 months later...
On 7/17/2019 at 7:00 PM, Snake45 said:

Quite true, I don't think I have ever even built this kit box stock! 

9 hours ago, russosborne said:

Does this one come with the clear body?

FEATURES:

1/25 scale, skill 2, paint and cement required

World’s first 200 MPH dragster

Body panels molded in translucent smoke tint plastic - first time ever

Includes bonus display base with metallic gold placard labels

Pre-lettered drag slicks

Authentic all new, expanded decal sheet

Retro Deluxe™ reproduction vintage “rare" AMT packaging

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:17 AM, Casey said:
FEATURES:

Body panels molded in translucent smoke tint plastic - first time ever

I'm not sure I get this.

What's the point? Neither clear nor smoked tint is correct, but at least clear panels are used under the auspices of being able to view the details hidden underneath. It's a silly idea, suitable for toys but not authentic models, yet enough people fall for this idea that it pops up from time to time as a clear body, hood, roof panel or chassis panel. But smoke tinted panels are not only incorrect, they also do not permit viewing the hidden details. It fails on both counts.

Sure, it can be painted, but nevertheless what's the point?

Edited by Bainford

2 hours ago, Bainford said:

I'm not sure I get this.

What's the point? Neither clear nor smoked tint is correct, but at least clear panels are used under the auspices of being able to view the details hidden underneath. It's a silly idea, suitable for toys but not authentic models, yet enough people fall for this idea that it pops up from time to time as a clear body, hood, roof panel or chassis panel. But smoke tinted panels are not only incorrect, they also do not permit viewing the hidden details. It fails on both counts.

Sure, it can be painted, but nevertheless what's the point?

The Point is that these Model Kits where intended for young kids, not us old Kids. When I was a kid, I thought things like that where pretty cool. And, if you paint the body from the inside, it comes out really nice! Just don't primer the inside! 

5 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

The Point is that these Model Kits where intended for young kids, not us old Kids. When I was a kid, I thought things like that where pretty cool. And, if you paint the body from the inside, it comes out really nice! Just don't primer the inside! 

You make a good point. These kits are aimed at kids, that is the same thing I think when someone complains about something being off. They are model kits, toys to some. Not real car's, they were made to have fun with.

I built a Tamiya kit with a clear body just because I wanted to do something different. Quite a challenge. I still painted certain body pieces and you need to use epoxy or other clear glue so as not to mar the clear plastic.

I believe I built the Richard Petty big scale model as a kid and thought that was pretty cool. As pointed out, I was a kid so wasn't concerned with realism.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:03 PM, iBorg said:

I'm curious about the decals....I've got a case of these from a prior issue.

I just picked one up yesterday. The decals are probably the best part of this reissue. Round 2 has completely re-done the sheet to make it more accurate. Previous issues, even going back to the original "Checker Flag" kit have been incorrect in the lettering style. The new ones look a lot better when compared to the photo on the original box and pics of the restored car in Garlits' museum.

IMG_20191117_234002.jpg.d1b2251b707e7da9c048778d90b08855.jpg

IMG_20191117_235640.jpg.45de056e8e2da470c65c47641e7b3ce7.jpg

As a nice additional touch, they also included the information stickers for the display base that haven't been included since the 60's

IMG_20191117_234849.jpg.29251e9b35b2f169d035e82894ecc6e2.jpg

On 11/13/2019 at 6:56 PM, Shon Wittenbarger said:

You make a good point. These kits are aimed at kids, that is the same thing I think when someone complains about something being off. They are model kits, toys to some. Not real car's, they were made to have fun with.

And what kid in 2019 even knows who Don Garlits is, or wants to build a mediocre old drag racing kit.  This is aimed squarely at adult builders tugging on their nostalgia (or mistalgia) heart strings - making them buy another one of something they already have a half dozen of laying around.

Kinda cynical about life there, wow.  It's for fun, it looks like the 1:1, and is better than the previous issues. Star Trek stuff and licensing will pay for new car stuff soon enough. 

New decals look nice. I never liked FED's as kid, still don't like RED's. But the earlier streamlined stuff is cool. 

Far more kids into cars know who Garlits, Petty, the greats are. If it's on YouTube, they know it. 

9 hours ago, Dave Toups said:

I just picked one up yesterday. The decals are probably the best part of this reissue. Round 2 has completely re-done the sheet to make it more accurate. Previous issues, even going back to the original "Checker Flag" kit have been incorrect in the lettering style. The new ones look a lot better when compared to the photo on the original box and pics of the restored car in Garlits' museum.

IMG_20191117_234002.jpg.d1b2251b707e7da9c048778d90b08855.jpg

IMG_20191117_235640.jpg.45de056e8e2da470c65c47641e7b3ce7.jpg

Looks to me like the font still isn't quite correct, especially the spacing between each letter. The lack of negative space inside the "D" and "G" on the new decal sheet is particularly noticeable.