Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint codes galore

• Xingu pinned this topic

Thanks for the link!

I have a number of paint references bookmarked, but not this one. They show the paint codes along with the color matches, so this'll come in handy for my paint guy who has sometimes had trouble looking up certain colors in the past. ;)

• 1 month later...

On a related topic, I have a cross reference app on my phone that has been helpful.

It doesn't translate manufacturer codes to hobby codes, but it does cross reference the hobby brands.

Hobby Color Converter

16 different brands cross referenced, including Tamiya, Testor's, Humbrol, Vallejo, and a bunch I've never heard of.

Enter your brand, then the type of paint, then the colour, and it spits out all of the matches in other brands. 

it also has a scale distance converter in it.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hoping this would be a good place to post this, and sorry if it's not as this is my first post.

But does anyone happen to know what color this would be for the new Nissan GT-50? I'm going to do a 2014 R35 once I finish my 32-34s but this color looks amazing. 

If this would be the wrong spot I apologise, but was hoping with it being a paint thread it would work.

Screenshot_20200521-153125.jpg

• 3 years later...

I used express paint https://expresspaint.com/ to buy some automotive touch up paint in a spray can, you can order it in a touch up bottle with a brush, aerosol can or in a larger quantity for use in a spray gun and they list nearly every factory color and code imaginable by searching the year make an model.  I ordered mystic teal metallic for a 98 trans am build I plan on doing soon and it is a spot on match.  Tested it on a spare body I had laying around.  It's a urethane paint so I had to clear it after..this is prior to wet sanding and polishing.

20240225_165832.jpg

20240225_165516.jpg

Edited by keviiin86

It is a nice color, but to me the metal flakes in that paint look out of scale, unless you are specifically going for that metal-flake effect.  Looks like glitter.  And I realize that it doesn't look so obvious when viewed directly, but it really pops out in photos.  I take the contest photos for my model club and I often see this exaggerated size metal flake. When I look at the model I photograph it looks ok, but then when I look at the photo it looks like something you would see on a bass boat or a dune buggy.

I think the vendors who specifically mix automotive pains for the model market use smaller metallic particles to make the paint look more in-scale. Of course the vendors who just mix paints to be used on 1:1 cars don't know to do that.  But then the line of Testors One Coat Lacquers also had that problem.  Whoever came up with their paint formulas did not consider the flake size to be a factor.

21 minutes ago, peteski said:

It is a nice color, but to me the metal flakes in that paint look out of scale, unless you are specifically going for that metal-flake effect.  Looks like glitter.  And I realize that it doesn't look so obvious when viewed directly, but it really pops out in photos.  I take the contest photos for my model club and I often see this exaggerated size metal flake. When I look at the model I photograph it looks ok, but then when I look at the photo it looks like something you would see on a bass boat or a dune buggy.

I think the vendors who specifically mix automotive pains for the model market use smaller metallic particles to make the paint look more in-scale. Of course the vendors who just mix paints to be used on 1:1 cars don't know to do that.  But then the line of Testors One Coat Lacquers also had that problem.  Whoever came up with their paint formulas did not consider the flake size to be a factor.

I know exactly what you mean, I see it all the time and I've kind of just dealt with it.  Even the metallic model paints I've used in the past have the same issue of too large of metallic flake.  I've never had the means to use an air brush so I'm kind of stuck with aerosol cans, if there's a specific brand that makes a more "scale" metallic paint let me know.  But for this specific model I want to build I want it to be an exact match color-wise..so it kind of is what it is as far as what I have available to use.

Edited by keviiin86

4 hours ago, stitchdup said:

if you are getting paint mixed for you and need it more in scale ask them to leave out the metallic and to use half the amount of mica instead. It wont be perfect but it will be closed

I just purchased the paint online, not sure if they could mix the paint that way, if I tell them to leave out the metallic it probably wouldn't be the same color, that's kind of what gives it a color shifting look from green to blue in certain light.

3 hours ago, keviiin86 said:

I just purchased the paint online, not sure if they could mix the paint that way, if I tell them to leave out the metallic it probably wouldn't be the same color, that's kind of what gives it a color shifting look from green to blue in certain light.

the mica is just a much finer metallic

• Like 1

On 2/25/2024 at 11:18 PM, keviiin86 said:

I'm kind of stuck with aerosol cans, if there's a specific brand that makes a more "scale" metallic paint let me know. 

Sorry, I don't.  But even some 1:1 touch-up paints in aerosol cans have finer metallic flakes. But there is no good way to tell unless you spray it out of the can.

• Like 1